Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I bought my Caliber on May 15th. Right after driving home, I noticed the car was PULLING TO THE RIGHT. I said, ok... needs a wheel alignment. The pulling wasn't severe or anything, but IT WAS PULLING! I've since bought this up to the dealership, and they said they would take care of it. I live in NYC, car was purchased in NJ. Since I live in NYC, I don't really have time to take the car in for service all the time to THAT dealership. But I believe in letting the dealership where the car was purchased do ANY SERVICING NECCESSARY! I purchased a brand new set of WHEELS & TIRES a few weeks ago, and I'm worried that the pulling will wear my tires out.

*FAST FORWARD TO TODAY*

So, I scheduled a wheel alignment at the dealership, and they told me they would pay for it, but since I have "AFTERMARKET" wheels & tires, that they would have to have SEARS do the work!! Ok, just as long as the PULLING SHIT STOPS! Well, the service was done today, and they tell me that SEARS said, "EVERYTHING IS OK, AND TO SPEC". But THE CAR IS STILL PULLING, AND THEY BLAME IT ON THE AFTERMARKET WHEELS!!! WTF???? I've had AFTERMARKET WHEELS ON ALL 8 OF MY CARS, AND NEVER HEARD OR SEEN SUCH A THING!!! I'M LOST RIGHT NOW, AND THE ONLY THING FOR ME TO DO, IS TO GO TO ANOTHER DEALERSHIP FOR A SECOND OPINION! I JUST WANT TO KNOW, HAS ANYONE HEARD OF SUCH A THING?? MY WHEELS ARE PERRRRRRRFECTLY BALANCED AND BRAND NEW! :confused::confused::confused::mad:

·
Registered
901 Posts
1st question (rhetorical!!)- why would the dealer outsource to Sears (of all places)???!!!!

A 2nd opinion would seem like a good idea, but not from another Dodge dealer. Rather, a place that specializes in alignments. Better, what about the place you got the new wheels/tires from?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Ok, lets try this route, could it be possible that the car at standsill, checks out ok on alignment, but moving, there is enough sway that it seems like it is pulling?

Subject : 2007 PM Rattle from sway bar end link

Market: US, Canada, Mexico, International
Model year(s) affected: 2007
Model(s) affected: PM - Caliber
LOP Codes: 02 - Suspension

Rattles from the front sway bar may be caused by the washer on the end link nut breaking and falling off on vehicles built before 3/24/06. Engineering has changed the fastener in production and MOPAR stock is being purged. No CAGRIS reports are needed unless after the clean point. Subject : Rattle or "flutter" from front of vehicle

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DodgeGirlKathy said:
1st question (rhetorical!!)- why would the dealer outsource to Sears (of all places)???!!!!

A 2nd opinion would seem like a good idea, but not from another Dodge dealer. Rather, a place that specializes in alignments. Better, what about the place you got the new wheels/tires from?
They said, since I HAVE AFTERMARKET WHEELS, that DCX WILL NOT PAY FOR A WHEEL ALIGNMENT.

The place I got the wheels from, is IN FLORIDA.

ejfb said:
Ok, lets try this route, could it be possible that the car at standsill, checks out ok on alignment, but moving, there is enough sway that it seems like it is pulling?
That would be the case, it's only a slight pull. But none of my cars EVER did this.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My car pulls to the right as well, and I have the stock wheeles. If you can why don't you put the stock one on, see what it does. It can only take like 1/2 hour. Then take it to the dealer or sears, and when it still pulls, tell them to shove "its your rims up their ass, and fix it" Or mabey even the dealer will look at it then

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
playB0Y42 said:
My car pulls to the right as well, and I have the stock wheeles. If you can why don't you put the stock one on, see what it does. It can only take like 1/2 hour. Then take it to the dealer or sears, and when it still pulls, tell them to shove "its your rims up their ass, and fix it" Or mabey even the dealer will look at it then
LOL, that's what I'm contemplating... It's just a PAIN N THE A$$:(

Like your's is pulling with the stock wheels,MINE DID THE SAME THING, only now I have the aftermarket wheels. It's like this muthafuggin service manager doesn't like aftermarket wheels or something.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Try rotating the tires from front to back and see if that changes anything.
While you have the wheels off, check he brakes and make sure they are not draging on one side.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JohnC said:
Try rotating the tires from front to back and see if that changes anything.
While you have the wheels off, check he brakes and make sure they are not draging on one side.
Sears performed all of the above supposedly.... minus tire rotation. The tires are BRAND NEW. :confused:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Well then I would suggest checking on the suspension deal then, when was your car made, is it before the date?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I agree, if you think the alignment issue is from the car and not the aftermarket wheels, then you should put the originals back on and then go in and have them check and/or fix it. That way there is no question about the issue. Also, wasn't there a post here about this issue where it ended up being a slightly twisted frame?

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
ejfb said:
Well then I would suggest checking on the suspension deal then, when was your car made, is it before the date?
Car was manufactured in April, I told the service manager the frame may be bent:eek:

RadioDude said:
I agree, if you think the alignment issue is from the car and not the aftermarket wheels, then you should put the originals back on and then go in and have them check and/or fix it. That way there is no question about the issue. Also, wasn't there a post here about this issue where it ended up being a slightly twisted frame?
I agree, but like I said... it's a ROYAL PAIN IN THE A$$. But I guess that'll be my next move. Oh, and yes there was a thread about this issue that turned out to be a twisted frame. I hope that's not my case. But I don't think that's the case, because it's only a "slight" pull. My fiances uncle is a mechanic, he said it's normal for cars to pull. But I will get a 2nd opinion.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Dependong on the roads you drive on. Some roads are made with a crown to them to allow water to drain off. This will cause vehicles to feel lik ehty have a slight pull to one side or the other. Also, even brand new wheels and tires can have problems. But since you had the same problem with the stock wheels and tires, it's probably not the case. Also, just because the car is "in specs" doesn't mean it is perfect. If both sides are at the edge of the specs then it can still have a slight pull. As mentioned above, I'd take it to a place that specializes in wheel alignments. Not Sears, or the dealer. If they find a problem and fix it, then show the receipt to the dealer along with the work that had to be done. They should re-imburse you for it if it was a problem from the factory. Might take some battling to get them to agree, but they should do it. I'd also recomend finding a place that does the road force balancing on the wheels. It might make a difference. Basically they balance the wheels with pressure on the tire like you'd be driving with them. Much more accurate, but also costs more.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Mine also pulls slightly to the right. My 2001 Ram and 2004 Durango also pull slightly. My guess is that DCX's camber settings make their vehicles prone to road crown. Since most roads are crowned high in the center this would cause a slight pull to the right.

When my Caliber was new it did not pull at all. Only in the last 1000 miles or so. I now have about 3500 miles on it. Possibly its tire wear. I'll rotate the tires and see if that helps.

·
Registered
901 Posts
STEELBLueCALI said:
They said, since I HAVE AFTERMARKET WHEELS, that DCX WILL NOT PAY FOR A WHEEL ALIGNMENT.
The place I got the wheels from, is IN FLORIDA.

Do you really HAVE TO YELL AT US ALL THE TIME???
jeeeez.

I did say the question was rhetorical, because I "get" why the dealer didn't do it themselves. I was just *rhetorically* questioning their choice of *Sears*. (i.e. not exactly the most outstanding choice for auto maintenance.)

Didn't know you got the wheels from out of state. None of your original posts about it mentioned that. (Just that your girlfriend got them for you.) Usually when there is a problem with an item, one goes to the place where they were bought or installed. So 'scuse me for asking.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
DodgeGirlKathy said:
Do you really HAVE TO YELL AT US ALL THE TIME???
jeeeez.

I did say the question was rhetorical, because I "get" why the dealer didn't do it themselves. I was just *rhetorically* questioning their choice of *Sears*. (i.e. not exactly the most outstanding choice for auto maintenance.)

Didn't know you got the wheels from out of state. None of your original posts about it mentioned that. (Just that your girlfriend got them for you.) Usually when there is a problem with an item, one goes to the place where they were bought or installed. So 'scuse me for asking.
Lol, not yelling at all. Depends on HOW YOU TAKE IT. Personally, it's my way of EMPHASIZING my words. Yea I know people equate CAPS as yelling on the internet, but I don't see it as that. BTW, who's "US"? YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE COMPLAINING. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Originally Posted by STEELBLueCALI
BTW, who's "US"? YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE COMPLAINING. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Count me in. It's annoying and a pain to read. Emphasis is one thing but you emphasize nearly everything which is tedious to read and actually works against you. No need to shout:(

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
NyllaTx said:
Doesn't mean she's the only one annoyed.
Ok, now do you THINK I REALLY GIVE A ****?

TechMan said:
Originally Posted by STEELBLueCALI
BTW, who's "US"? YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE COMPLAINING. :rolleyes:
Count me in. It's annoying and a pain to read. Emphasis is one thing but you emphasize nearly everything which is tedious to read and actually works against you. No need to shout:([/quote]

Same thing goes for YOU, and WHOEVER ELSE IS ANNOYED! NOW I'M YELLING!!!! IF YOU or ANYONE ELSE IS "ANNOYED", THEN DON'T READ MY POSTS! IT'S NOT FOR YOU! I'M ANNOYED BY YOU TWO POSTERS, POSTING YOUR "PERSONAL" ISSUES ABOUT MY CAPS &YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW ME! I'm ALSO ANNOYED WITH DODGEGIRLKATHY FOR NOT SENDING ME A "PM" WITH HER PERSONAL FEELINGS!!

*MUCH RESPECT TO EVERYONE ELSE*

Now, BACK ON TOPIC!
Sooooooo, I spoke to the GENERAL MANAGER this morning. He told me to load the factory wheels in the car and bring the car back to them. Then they'll take it from there.

·
Registered
142 Posts
wow this thread took a turn for the worse. Anyway have you possibly had the wheels taken off and checked the balancing? If you got them off the web maybe the company did a poor job balancing the wheels. I doubt that is the case but just an idea. Nevermind...You said it pulls with both stock and aftermarket didn't you. Ohh well hope it works out, but I too have heard most cars will pull slightly right on most roads.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts