Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there...

I'm about to go up to the dealership today to sign papers and buy a Caliber. Finding the car that matches what I want with the right color that me and my girl want is not easy yet they have one on the lot for the price I want but Silver which is not our favorite choices of color... She did say however that if it'll save us the shipping from another dealer and a thousand dollars in features that she didn't mind the Silver... Anyways... We went for a test drive in that exact vehicle and it had 79 km's on it at the time... I also know when I test drove it I did put the pedal down to see if it had any go... Would you be worried when buying a vehicle new with so much test driving done on it during the break-in period knowing people probably floored it a few times and pushed the little car that it might cause problems down the road?

Just wondering if I should specifically wait for something to come along more to my style or just get that car if it'll be a thousand dollars cheaper....

·
Registered
361 Posts
Bulldogger said:
Renting one first wouldn't hurt.
That's what I wanted to do, but I couldn't find a place that had them at the time. So I just went to every dealer I could get to and took test drives out. Most of the salesmen I delt with were pretty cheap when it came to how many KM I could take one on a test. :/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok... I was just worried that people driving it and pushing it during the break-in period might create some problems down the road... I know I was told it would cost a couple hundred bucks to ship from another dealership if the car I wanted was any distance at all... I also didn't find a vehicle that fit my specs too much out there at least in the colors we were looking at. The one at the dealership has everything I want but 2 things, the color is silver(instead of the light blue, red or yellow(or orange possibly LOL)) and it doesn't have the driver convinience package with the digital readout thingy which wasn't that important but would have been nice... Other then that it has the Musicgate, the sunroof, etc...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Elsewhere in these forums was a post by a guy who did dyno tests on two similar Calibers; one that had been broken in with care and another that was broken in hard and found that the engine in the car that had been broken in hard developed a few more horsepower. Now, just 'cause it's posted here doesn't mean it's automatically the hard truth, but I recall reading my Caliber manual when I first got it and, check me out on this, it says to occaisonally punch it while breaking it in. I don't have the measuring equipment, but my Caliber has distinctly more responsiveness now that it's broken in, and I did it by the book, meaning that I punched it out from time to time and varied my speed. Not many people know this, but the CVT has a shift-down mode; push the gas pedal to the floor and you'll feel a little click, then hold on! I did that a few times right out of the box.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
o got mine with 95 kn on it and because it was the only one the dealer had ,it was also the one every one else testdrove ,i also dit a test drive in it and it was a very easy circle around the dealership 8 lights and only 50km max speed and i pult back in to the dealer with a 101 km on it and after that i to the salesman to look the door and keep the key because the sonest i walkt up to his office 2 more people want a test drive but i sighn the papers before that and told the dealer that no one else drives this baby but me ,so i am so sorry for those people but this on is my;) .and i still don't share it .Cheers thomas

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, we ended up signing the papers this afternoon and were approved on a different model in the lot... No Sunroof on this one though:)-( ( Girlfriend wanted red and I wanted sunroof... It was red and no sunroof... I compromised knowing how often she does it for me...

·
Registered
101 Posts
i got mine with 162 miles on it (about 262 km) and it works fine...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bulldogger, are you the person from Alberta? Near Edmonton or something? I think I remember seeing something from you on another forum and I think Edmonton comes to mind... I just moved over to Alberta from Ontario about a month ago for a job up in Peace River at 2 radio stations up here. Kix FM and YL Country.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got mine with 796mi on it- still considered new- it was a dealer trade from the other end of the state (CA) I got it for $200 above dealer cost- which is saying something since it orginally had a $2000 mark up above sticker! Other lots in the area had $4500 mark ups!!! Can you imagine paying nearly $20K for an SE without power locks, windows and AT?

·
Registered
258 Posts
my wife's had 14 miles on it... mine had 3!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Principal said:
That's what I wanted to do, but I couldn't find a place that had them at the time. So I just went to every dealer I could get to and took test drives out. Most of the salesmen I delt with were pretty cheap when it came to how many KM I could take one on a test. :/
Try enterprise they have purchased a lot of them for their fleet of rentals

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I went out and got the car today with 380km in total on it but it's mine now... Here's an interesting story, within about an hour of having the car we had hail come down but no worries it was really small hail... Still funny considering I just picked up the car... Nice little vehicle I have to say but i'm scared to drive it and hurt it. It's my first car ever and my girlfriend's second car and first new car so yeah I'm a little ansy when driving it...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts