Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new.

Anyways, I'm thinking about getting a 2007 Caliber SE 1.8 Liter with the 5 speed manual as my 1st car. I'm 18 and this car fits my budget.

I haven't driven one yet. So my question is, is the car fun to drive? And what are the pros, and cons about this car?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome to the forum!:)

I have had my inferno red SXT with the 1.8L 5 spd for 2 weeks exactly. I ordered the car on June 26th with just what I wanted. I had built out several different cars on the Dodge web site using both the SE trim and the SXT trim, before I actually went to the dealer and ordered one. I found that either car pretty much came out the same price (within 50 bucks) because I would put what I wanted on each one.

I traded in my Intrepid with the 3.2L engine. The Caliber will not jump off the line like my Intrepid would, but it does start out quite well. Much better than what I thought the 1.8L would do. The one difference between the stock SE and the SXT is the 17 inch wheels and tires on the SXT. I had test driven the SE with the smaller wheels and tires. I did not care for them and was happy with the way the larger tires seemed to be more responsive and hold the road better.

Over all I love the car, it is great. Would I buy another one? You bet! In an instant. My one piece of advice is to get the car with everything you want on it. Anything less and you will always be saying, "I wish I had gotten "XXXX" when I ordered the car.

Now go do some test driving and have fun!

Ed

My car ! !

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nice clear pics Programmer.

I bought the SE and can add to its trim, already got Dodge carpets, mudflaps and some nice padded seat covers in black/grey and some chrome valve caps on my alloys..and I havent stopped yet LOL

Say, why is that BRAKE light on for, I havent seen that one?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
xlr8 said:
Nice clear pics Programmer.

I bought the SE and can add to its trim, already got Dodge carpets, mudflaps and some nice padded seat covers in black/grey and some chrome valve caps on my alloys..and I havent stopped yet LOL

Say, why is that BRAKE light on for, I havent seen that one?
Brake light is because he had the parking brake on. And the European SE model is equiped about the same as our SXT model in the US.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hey, im also 18 and the cali is my first purchased car. ok here it is. im a gadget nut. i would not scuff of the base model, but the sxt is alot better in my opinion. i was also on a budget and tried to find a car in the 15K range. This did not happen. Yes the manual is fun but i found it did not just have the pick-up of the 2.0 auto. I drove both the exact same route. i just think the 1.8 had a harder time of the line. The one plus is the shifting pattern on the 1.8 is the smoothest of any car i have driven. My advice to you would be to drive both. You well tell right away what car is for you!!! another thing is, dont let money be THE MAIN FACTOR in your desion. would you rather pay 14k for a car you hate or 18K for a car you love??? mine was 19 by the way.

·
Registered
911 Posts
black-sxt-sport said:
Hey, im also 18 and the cali is my first purchased car. ok here it is. im a gadget nut. i would not scuff of the base model, but the sxt is alot better in my opinion. i was also on a budget and tried to find a car in the 15K range. This did not happen. Yes the manual is fun but i found it did not just have the pick-up of the 2.0 auto. I drove both the exact same route. i just think the 1.8 had a harder time of the line. The one plus is the shifting pattern on the 1.8 is the smoothest of any car i have driven. My advice to you would be to drive both. You well tell right away what car is for you!!! another thing is, dont let money be THE MAIN FACTOR in your desion. would you rather pay 14k for a car you hate or 18K for a car you love??? mine was 19 by the way.
Well you can't always have what you want. You also need to realize that. So if you want a $18,000 Caliber SXT or SXT Sport, but can only afford a Caliber SE, then guess what you'll get? The SE Model. Drive a few different models like he said though and see what you like and don't like. I've only driven an R/T AWD and SXT Sport so I can't say too much on the 1.8 Liter. I've actually never seen a Caliber with the 1.8/5-speed manual. Dealers don't stock them around here because they'll never sell as nobody wants a car today with a manual transmission in it.

The Caliber I have is the first car with an auto trans in it. My other 2 cars were manuals ('02 Neon ES/'04 Stratus R/T Coupe).

Get the best you can possibly afford. If its only the 16,000 SE with a couple of options then get it. If there's a feature you just can't go without then get that if it makes you happy with the car. I will say and others here will strongly agree that the Boston Acoustics MusicGate Premium Sound System sounds AMAZING!!!! Its $450 well spent!

So good luck and make sure you test drive some Caliber BEFORE you buy. It may not be the car you think it is no matter how great we all praise it here.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have the 1.8L w/5sp. I have been very pleased with it. The economy is good--I'm averaging close to 28MPG for a combined city and highway driving. The acceleration is adequate enough to get me up to speed on the autobahn onramps so that I can comfortably merge into traffic. I can maintain speeds of 90-100 MPH with no problems. In my opinion, any performance loss you may get by going with the smaller engine can be overcome by having the manual transmission.

FYI: The autobahn reference is because I am an American with a U.S. spec Caliber living in Germany.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts