Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the hitch from DC part #82208756AB. I have to say I am less than pleased that the thing is going to need a special adapter due to the fact that the receiver portion is verticle. The Caliber catalog describes the hitch like this:

1,500-lb tow rating, 150-lb tongue weight rating, includes
Ball Mount, pin and clip, 1 1/4" opening, Hitch Ball sold
separately

I found no ball mount or pin and clip. The opening is 2" not 1 1/4". Did the specs change on this or am I missing some parts? I would appreciate feedback from those that have purchased this hitch before I go back to the dealer and jump up and down.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know some of out there have purchased this hitch. I really need your help. I don't know if I am missing some parts or is the info in the Caliber accessories brochure incorrect?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don't have the hitch, but a 2" receiver usually means a class III hitch (3000lbs +) sounds like the wrong hitch to me. Do the mounting points (directions) line up at all?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
xcanuk said:
I don't have the hitch, but a 2" receiver usually means a class III hitch (3000lbs +) sounds like the wrong hitch to me. Do the mounting points (directions) line up at all?
Everything lines up and the part number on the box is a perfect match to the one in the Caliber accessories brochure. I just seems to me that it is missing a some kind of piece that would make a 90 degree turn so you could actually use the darn thing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After going back to the dealer I ordered the receiver from, I was informed that I needed another part (#82209615) to make the hitch usable. They were very sorry for the confusion. They have a typographical error in the accessories brochure that leads one to believe that you will get a usable hitch but you won't unless you order the above mentioned part at the same time (it lists for $40.25) and that takes the price of the complete hitch close to $200 for those who may be interested in getting one. Lucky for me they felt guilty and sold the part to me at cost ($25.00). They assured me that the error would be corrected in the next printing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
That's great to know because I've been looking at hitches for when we get our Caliber....wasn't much info that I could find on the Mopar hitch.

With this info, I'm almost sure I'll be looking for aftermarket hitches.

J

·
Registered
277 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me and i mean EXACT!!! they put on the hitch, I drove home and BAM, no L bracket. I was pissed. I called up the dealer and they ordered me one... No Charge... Any more questions, MP me.

PS. U paid $25 because you were to nice about it!!!

PS 2 (Can I do that???) The L bracket is there so the hitch can be hidden when not in use!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
black-sxt-sport said:
Exact same thing happened to me and i mean EXACT!!! they put on the hitch, I drove home and BAM, no L bracket. I was pissed. I called up the dealer and they ordered me one... No Charge... Any more questions, MP me.

PS. U paid $25 because you were to nice about it!!!

PS 2 (Can I do that???) The L bracket is there so the hitch can be hidden when not in use!!!
I have a friend who is an employee of the dealership and he got me the receiver for $118.00 so I did not think I should push it. If I had paid full price you better beleive I would have demanded the L bracket for free.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Can you guys comment on the rigidness of the "L" bracket? I am looking to mainly use a hitch-mount bike carrier. I am wondering how bad the extra 'slop' is in the fit of the L bracket & how it would translate to the bike carrier.

J

·
Registered
50 Posts
Same thing for me too. Got the reciever but no L bracket, they should just package the stuff all together since you cant use the thing without the L bracket. Back to the dealers tomorrow. But I must say it is very easy to install.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally have it all put together. I bought mine to use mostly with a bike rack. I put everything together last night and did not notice much slop at all. Certainly not enough to hinder the operation of the rack. I could try to get some pictures of it if you are interested.

Venom 35, you are right on. The receiver hitch should not be sold without the L bracket included in the box. It should not even be an option.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes, I'd be interested in some pix....please post in this thread if you can since there's probably others interested.

So the bike rack is pretty tight when mounted? It doesn't wobble front/bock or side/side much?

J

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was just going to get a cargo carrier for hunting, no trailers yet. The guy at the service desk said the electrical hookup was about a 100.00 bucks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
256 Posts
Looks promising. What make is that one? Or is it the Dodge one?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Answer to Quadrajet:

I asked the same question a few weeks ago and to date there hasn't been much response to the actual question itself.

So ---not being shy and being somewhat of an adventurous sort of fellow having the need to know -- I took the plunge and found the 5spd 1.8 lr is very capable of moving a trailer without too much difficulty. Tested 150lb TW and 1500lb AW and other than the front wheels throwing a bit of dirt (I wrongly anticipated the need for extra power) on the unpaved road at startup, no problems encountered. Mind you it was a short test drive, start - stop, hill and straightaway over a few kms. Once moving, didn't notice the unit behind me (tent trailer). One good thing tho is the fact that the design of the Cali allows the driver to see over top and down both sides of the trailer without adding extra mirrors. I have not tried Hwy or long haul towing but from the minor test I did, I do not expect problems but then again I do not plan on taking it across the continent or into the mountains either. The manual says 100lb TW and 1000lb AW which limits one to dragging wheelbarrows down the street. Granted the Cali is not a TRUCK but is sure acts like one when she puts her mind to it.

Looking forward to stuffin' ma and the hound in the unit and going campin!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
The manual says 100lb TW and 1000lb AW
This assumes 2 people, 300 pounds total, in the car, and 150 pounds of luggage. If you reduce that, in theory, you can increase the tow weight. The tow weight is based on GCWR which is car, occupants, luggage, trailer, gas, ... It appears that the GCWR is about 4200 pounds for the Caliber, R/T at least.

I have been in contact with DCX to determine the exact GCWR, they keep referring me to the manual. Nice!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sean said:
This assumes 2 people, 300 pounds total, in the car, and 150 pounds of luggage.
Are you sure? I thought I read somewhere that it only assumed 1 driver @ 150 pounds.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts