Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you running the PTP thermostat does the engine seem to be stressed with it during summer? Considering it, but don't want to over stress the cooling system. I do about 95% highway driving so I'm RARELY stopped at a light. Any thoughts from those with experience will be appreciated.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I had it on for a good while, pretty big difference but more on the downside. My car never fully warmed up and was never at the halfway mark. Cars these days are built and designed to perform at their max when at normal operating temperature so I took it off. Plus, the car still "overheated" at times when I was at idle for a good while i.e. temperature went over the 200 degree mark (which is normal)

Since you drive it on the highway so much, your car is never going to fully warm up, trust me. I had it and when I got on the highway my temperature was close to the 1/4 line (not good)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Plus, the car still "overheated" at times when I was at idle for a good while i.e. temperature went over the 200 degree mark (which is normal)
That's most likely because you were idling without the ac out. The cooling fan doesn't kick in until a higher temperature versus with the AC on, it is always running.

Since you drive it on the highway so much, your car is never going to fully warm up, trust me. I had it and when I got on the highway my temperature was close to the 1/4 line (not good)
I don't have any issues with it reaching and maintaining a temp of 180* here in Florida, on the hotest days, it has only peaked at 210*

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I know they are meant to run hot for emissions as well. I figured it might be helpful somewhat since temps here reach 105+ in summer. I work grave yard so most of driving is done at night or real early in the morning. Oh well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts