Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused::confused:
Hoping someone can help me on this one. I ordered a new Caliber from my local dealer (Dealer A) 2 weeks ago. They said 12-16 weeks out. I can live with that. The dealer was really pushing cars off the lot and I wouldn't accept color/option mix they had at that time. They even wanted to add an (that is as in qty 1/each) heated seat (aftermarket). I said no. They agreed to let me order one knowing the lead time. They also said that there is a 5% penalty if I cancelled the order. I put 200.00 down deposit.

Yesterday I visited a dealer (dealer B) about 30 miles from my house (was on my Harley, just checking Caliber colors). I told the dealer about my delivery delima, etc. He couldn't believe the delivery times and said he could pull one much quicker. He had a few cars down the pike in "D" status and he could probably pull some strings and have one changed for my mix/color, etc. Anyway, he's going to get back to me Tuesday. Last night searching the web I ran into a inventory Caliber about 40 miles from home (Dealer C). Almost the exact car I had ordered with just one more option added. I can live with that. I called the new dealer guy, dealer B. He said they have a good working relationship with dealer C. and they could probably get that car for me in a few days or so. They'll check on Tuesday.

Question? What can I expect resulting in my deposit and the 5% penalty if I drop that car I ordered. I can't believe dealer A is even interested in working for me to get my car. Any comments on this would be helpful. Do dealers usually deal back and forth like this?

BTW, Dealer B is a small town dealer. They let me take a RT out for about 1/2 hour, no license check or anything. First time I drove the Caliber out on the highway by myself. What a neat car! I was impressed by how quiet it was and how steady footed and how sure it gripped the road. It had 3 miles when I started - 37 when I returned. AVG MPG 24.9. Car still wasn't prep'd, still had plastic on seats, foam in sunroof. Nice car!

Karen
====================================================
SXT, Inferno Red, Convience Pkg, MusicGate, E-package :eek:

·
Registered
384 Posts
I don't really understand the question, "What can I expect resulting in my deposit and the 5% penalty if I drop that car I ordered?"

Seems self-explanatory to me, you'll lose 5% of your $200 deposit, which is like what, $10?

Maybe I don't understand something? But I think that is what that means...

I say, try to get the car sooner if you can!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the confusing question. I put down 200.00 deposit and they told me I'd loose 5% of the price of the car if I pulled. A tad more than 5% of $200.00.

I see posted all the time that people have one on order, then they turn around and purchase one from another dealer because they can't get the car in a "timely manner". How can people do that? Do other dealers make you plop down a deposit and smack you with a penalty? Do you think my dealer isn't working for me on this?

·
Registered
30 Posts
It sounds to me that the dealer telling you that you will have a 5% penalty is trying to A) Rip you off or B) Just telling you that to keep you from canceling. I personally put a $100 deposit on a Caliber that I ordered. My salesman told me that the deposit is 100% refundable and it isn't a contract or anything else. It just guarantees me that particular vehicle when it comes in. If I don't like the car and pull out, no biggie. Ordered April 7th, told moved back to July/August, bought a Caliber from anotrher dealership on Thursday. Need to still get my deposit back, haven't had time to do so. Did you ever sign anything saying that you would accept a 5% penalty if you cancelled? Because if you didn't, I highly doubt that they can charge you as such. After all, when the car comes in that you ordered, how hard is it going to be for them to sell if it is not to you? I can be pretty comfortable stating as fact that it won't be very hard at all.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the speedy reply. I did sign a sales contract on the vehicle. Not sure whether they'd let me slide out of it or not. Basically it did lock the trade in price on my car and the new car price.

They will NOT have any problem selling the one that is on order. Basically bread and butter SXT with a few options. Auto, fog, Musicgate, cruize, drive conv. pkg. That's about it. I have since decided I want the accent seats, wheels, etc that comes in the E package as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Spartansgr is right. I put a deposit of $2000 down. When I did that my dealer told me I can get it back because it is not a contract. All the deposit does is make sure your car is built if you are ordering it and reserve the car for you so no one else can buy it before you. I bet there is some way to get out of your contract. Maybe if you just explain to the dealer. There is a possibility that dealer A can trade with the dealer you who has your car too. Good luck

·
Registered
384 Posts
Oh ok, that makes more sense, lol.

I first went to dealer A to look for Calibers, there were none so he said he would call me when one came in, so I could look at it. A few weeks later, I went to dealer B because I saw they had some in. I test drove it, loved it, went home. Then a week later I decided just to order one from dealer B. I put down a $200 deposit but I didn't sign anything.

Then dealer A calls me and says the have some in so I go look just for the heck of it. Well while I was there they looked into financing stuff for me and turns out, they were offering me the Friends and Family plus better interest.

So I ordered through them and put down a $50 deposit but I did have to sign something. But they never said there would be a penatly....

So I called dealer B and said I wanted to cancel my order and they put my deposit back on my credit card.

I don't know if the are allowed to make you pay a 5% fee but they probably will just to be jerks. :(

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
katiescaliber said:

I don't know if the are allowed to make you pay a 5% fee but they probably will just to be jerks. :(
I believe they can, along with above MSRP markup too. It sucks, but that is some of the ways dealers work. They can be asses about it, or they can be cool about it. It is how you come to them (attitude) and if they feel like it. I would think it would be in their best interest to give 100% back as word-of- mouth is the best advertising!:D;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts