Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm preparing to do a round of minor modifications to my car. For those of you who have removed the silver (or body color) center bezel piece (the big piece that goes around the stereo): How much 'extra' room is in there? Is any of it accessible? Specifically, I'm wondering how much accessible space there is in the area on the lower-right side of the console (close to the floor) and around the button cluster (where the hazard light button is).

Basically, using this pic for reference: Is it possible, just by removing the large bezel, to get your hand inside the area on the passenger side of the console to the right of the shifter? Or would more need to be removed? (And if more, how much more?)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
there is not a ton of room under there...what are you trying to hide drugs? j/k really what are you doing? and the easist way is to take a look your self...it comes off easily...just pull

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
boostdog said:
there is not a ton of room under there...what are you trying to hide drugs? j/k really what are you doing? and the easist way is to take a look your self...it comes off easily...just pull
Basically I need to gain (temporary) access to the switch panel that contains the hazard light button (I need to remove it, make a small modification to it, and put it back), and I need to run a couple of wires from the underside of the dash through the console to the rear passenger area. I would prefer not to remove more than is necessary to get the job done.

·
Registered
683 Posts
If you remove the bezel you will have access to the hazard switches and wires. The switches are attached to the bezel by a couple screws. Unplugging the wire harness will allow complete removal of the switches.

Basically do this:
Remove shift lever
Remove shifter bezel
Unsnap main bezel
You will have an inch or two clearance between bezel and dash for next step.
Use box wrench to remove 4 screws holding A/C controls to bezel.
Unplug Hazard switch harness
Completely remove bezel from dash
Unscrew hazard switch panel from bezel

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
removing the shifter and bezel around the shifter is not necessary .... all u need to do is put the key in and turn to accessory / pull the e brake / pull the shifter to L / and pop the bezel around the shifter off and turn it so it hangs low out of the way/ then proceed as to above.

Bryan

·
Registered
683 Posts
boostdog said:
removing the shifter and bezel around the shifter is not necessary .... all u need to do is put the key in and turn to accessory / pull the e brake / pull the shifter to L / and pop the bezel around the shifter off and turn it so it hangs low out of the way/ then proceed as to above.

Bryan
Thats true but the shift lever takes all of about 30 seconds to remove. Taking the shifter bezel all the way off helps prevent it from getting scratched up while working around the area. I seem to have a habit of scratching up dash parts too often!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree with huff. If yer gonna do it...do er right! Only bad things happen when you do it half assed and i wouldn't wanna break/scratch/chip the bezel and be stuck puttin out for a new one.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
it's not 1/2 a*sed...just be careful getting it out of the way. it's not big deal...either way.
Bryan

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
LOL! just leave it and do what i told you to do...it's much easier and it drops completly out of the way.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I ask about the shifter because I'm considering the carbon fiber insert, I just want to be sure I know the project before I start. As for the bezel, does it just pull straight out or do you need to pry the edges.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
pry easily..the hardest part to get off are the tabs that are hooked into the factory cd player. they do not want to give up. just be careful it will come off.

Bryan

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I pryed the lower portion of the shifter from the upper portion, then pulled up on the knob.... don't know if it makes a difference which way you do it...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts