Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done a 0-60 test stock? I am seeing about 11 seconds with ought using the autostick. Does that sound close?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Without using the autostick it is painfully slow to 60.. but actually not bad to 45. and 60 and up. There seems to be a weird accelleration decrease at around 45 where it will almost sit and hang for a few secs. At least with my car. Try watching the speedo for inconsistant accelleration.

·
Registered
18 Posts
mine is consistant and mid 9 sec times from 0-60 in auto and around 10.25 using auto stick

·
Banned
73 Posts
jesus thats painfully slow. :( :eek:

Dodge has a habit of over badging their cars. They stuck a Hemi badge on the Omni I think, they've put Daytona badges on econoboxes and now they are sticking a R/T badge on a 10+ second 0-60 car. I wouldnt be suprised to see 18+second 1/4 mile times.

I know most of you use the excuse of you didnt buy it to be a racecar, most people dont buy any car to be a racecar but it should be somewhat fun to drive. 10+ 0-60 times are nowhere fun to drive. Thats mailtruck and UPS truck speeds there.

What a crock, and they have the nerve to overdub a throaty V8 sound coming from the exhaust in the TV commercals.

R/T should mean it should at least keep up with the best in its class. I dont know all its competitors 0-60 times but the mazda3 stick does it in 7.5 seconds and the auto in 8 to 8.5

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
But it actually is fun to drive... and is quite peppy. 0-60 with autostick for me is around 9 secs with still most of the acceleration from 20-45 then again from 50-80. In its ranges its actually fairly good performing. It hugs the road very good dispite the bodyroll it gets from having 7" ground clearance. I have yet to hear any complaints from the tires while taking hard corners with my foot on it. Its not a sports car and not a muscle car but i believe its about as much of an "R/T" model as an AWD CVT caliber can be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everyone. I've been reading this forum since I got my red R/T (20% Tint all around) back in May, but this is my first post.

Apparently I can't post links until I post 4 times so......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Edmunds.com did a test on the fully loaded R/T and clocked a 10.1 second 0-60 time.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=115318/pageId=96556

The only problem with the 0-60 time is that it doesn't take into account the lag time of the CVT when one punches the throttle. The tranny and the engine hold their own pretty well when the car is already moving, even at just 5 mph. The trick to keeping the caliber peppy (as I have read on this forum before) is to keep the engine in the power band.

Also, the caliber does compare pretty well to the Mazda3 hatch in terms of 0-60 times, at least according to Edmunds. They clocked the 3 at 9.1 seconds. Although this was on the '04 model it has the 2.3 liter engine like the more recent versions. I don't think much has changed since then.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=101737/pageId=58676

Perhaps a dodge with an R/T badge should be more powerful, but it does compete pretty well with the other cars in its class. The Matrix, Vibe, HHR, and Mazda3, aren't exactly race cars either.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Its odd that they rate the mazda3 braking as Excellent and teh caliber as average due to the fact that they felt the pedal resistance was unusual in the caliber even though the braking distance was shorter.
The caliber is also 500lbs heavier than their tested mazda3.

·
Registered
37 Posts
aslo u have to rem are calis have fly by wire witch dosent help the 0-60 either.Dosent make much a diff but enough.I think my cali performs better at 4500-5000 rpm in normal not low.Seeing i dont have auto stick.The reason for the badge is to show the diff body kits.Most with a r/t badge have way diff but the cali is the only one that seems to not have that much diffrence.But none the less im happy with my Cali.

·
Registered
18 Posts
lebowski1 said:

Dodge has a habit of over badging their cars. They stuck a Hemi badge on the Omni I think, they've put Daytona badges on econoboxes and now they are sticking a R/T badge on a 10+ second 0-60 car. I wouldnt be suprised to see 18+second 1/4 mile times.

I know most of you use the excuse of you didnt buy it to be a racecar, most people dont buy any car to be a racecar but it should be somewhat fun to drive. 10+ 0-60 times are nowhere fun to drive. Thats mailtruck and UPS truck speeds there.

What a crock, and they have the nerve to overdub a throaty V8 sound coming from the exhaust in the TV commercals.

R/T should mean it should at least keep up with the best in its class. I dont know all its competitors 0-60 times but the mazda3 stick does it in 7.5 seconds and the auto in 8 to 8.5

if you know mopars then you'll know that r/t has nothing to with speed, it is now and has always been a handeling package, stiffer springs bigger brakes and such. if you look at most comparison's between cars in the small car market the r/t calibers where either the best or 2nd best in handling or braking times.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dakota_vc said:
mine is consistant and mid 9 sec times from 0-60 in auto and around 10.25 using auto stick
That is strange, my autostick makes it faster? Are you letting it redline or close to redline before shifting?

I have the AWD, which may make mine a little slower. With autostick I just hit 11 seconds, but without I am just a little over 11 seconds. Maby it also is the winter gas now? :confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
caliber172 said:
That is strange, my autostick makes it faster? Are you letting it redline or close to redline before shifting?

I have the AWD, which may make mine a little slower. With autostick I just hit 11 seconds, but without I am just a little over 11 seconds. Maby it also is the winter gas now? :confused:
i'm still getting used to the autostick maybe my times will get better but havent tried lately

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I was out cruising around the mall waiting for a store to open just now when a silver caliber R/T caught me at a light and the driver acted as if they wanted to race lol. So i decided to humor him till the speed limit for the hell of it. While i was at it i noted my speed and timed it with the current song playback time. I heard his motor redline when the light turned and having figured that the car pulls best around 4500rpm i feathered the throttle to keep it in in that range. Using the radio to time it i estimate it took around 8 secs to 60! and the other caliber driver was headlights in my rear view!
I suggest you try different throttle positions on your 0-60 runs and hold it there. I was just around half throttle and it pulled pretty good all the way up. It didnt even have the hesitation from the start.

·
Banned
73 Posts
dakota_vc said:
if you know mopars then you'll know that r/t has nothing to with speed, it is now and has always been a handeling package, stiffer springs bigger brakes and such. if you look at most comparison's between cars in the small car market the r/t calibers where either the best or 2nd best in handling or braking times.

did you just read the review link posted. The brakes and handleing were not liked in the caliber.

R/T means power and suspension. Not just suspension.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
This could go on for days!!:cool: They are what they are, people bought them for a reason.

Hey maybe they will stick a nice (small) V6 into the Caliber R/T in the years to come, you never know.:cool::p

I think DCX just needs to get the programming right on the CVT, which will fix the lag many feel from 0-15mph. I wonder how the 6speed Auto would have worked for the Caliber, wonder if there was a reason they did not use it, maybe size issues?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Xtreme Thunder said:
I wonder how the 6speed Auto would have worked for the Caliber, wonder if there was a reason they did not use it, maybe size issues?
More likely cost and that they wanted to go with a CVT in the model rather than a 6 speed convential auto. Not that a 6 speed auto is convential at all. Very few cars have it, none in the class/price range of the Caliber.

I should pull out my G-Tech one of these days and get some numbers as to how quick my caliber is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
lebowski1 said:

100% agree with you on the R/T. Those times are just horrible.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts