Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Caliber R/T and was wondering exactly the AWD system actually works, I've been hearing some diffferent things, and i wanted to clear up any confusion.

Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Basically, there's a Power Take Off (PTO) off the trans up front that sends power rearward via the drive shaft (prop shaft). Right in front of the rear diff, there's a computer controlled clutch. Normally, this clutch is open (i.e. does not transfer torque). End result, you've got a FWD car that's just toting around all the AWD hardware. When the AWD computer figures out that you need more power sent to the rear, it progressively applies the clutch, effectively locking the rear axle to the front.

The tricky bit is how the AWD computer figures out when you need more power to the rear. Really simple systems just wait for the front wheels to spin, but the Dodge system looks at stuff like throttle position, vehicle speed, steering angle, etc. so it can make your car AWD before you start spinning the front wheels. This makes it a proactive AWD system as opposed to a reactive AWD.

Functionally, Subaru's Automatics, and the VW/Audi Haldex systems seem to be similar. No idea exactly what the Dodge AWD ECU uses to figure out what to do and that's probably proprietary anyway.

Other ref:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2006-03-03-caliber_x.htm

"
All-wheel drive. Very good. It whipped through a heavy snowfall with little wheelspin or hesitation. It had no traction control. That comes as part of the stability system available later this year. No guarantee that will make the AWD work any better.

The AWD system is a front-driver that starts shuttling power to the rear wheels in two different circumstances: when the road is slick and sensors believe the fronts are slipping or soon will be, and when you're driving vigorously and sensors say the car would be more stable with power at all wheels. "

·
Registered
414 Posts
The AWD works very well, we were on a very muddy road, travelling at a "unsafe speed" as my wife was yelling and gripping the shit handle above the passenger door. We went into a corner and the rear started to slide, then POOF, it straightened out and was fine.

I wish the same could be said for the wife.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mr_badda_bing said:
hahahahahaha!:D :D thats great....

and thanks for the response.... i thought thats how it worked.... but wanted to be completely sure!

·
Registered
911 Posts
mr_badda_bing said:
ROFL!!

LMFAO!!!

:D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Great descriptions!

Mr. Bada blah blah blah... Love the shirt and we wives tend to get over things in about 2 or 3 days. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts