Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Black R/T

Votes: 19 59.4%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking all over for a black caliber, I need it in this color. I have a deposit down on a Black SXT which shipped on the 15th ad the total price without taxes is $24,500 CAD and it will be here around July 1st. I just got a call from another dealer I was in contact with before I commited to the SXT and he said he has a Black R/T available for $29,035 CAD that I can drive home tonight.

I really like the R/T cause of the chrome, auto-stick and brakes. But I wanted to ask you guys for some input. Basically are the R/T owner's regretful at all about getting it, feeling that you could of settled for the SXT? And do the SXT owner's wish they could of gotten the R/T? Is it worth the extra $5,000?

Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
depends really on weather or not you need the awd. I'm sure down the line there will be plenty of kits to make the sxt look like the rt. and you'd probably spend less than 5,000 to do so. but like i said how useful is the awd for you.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
evalentin said:
depends really on weather or not you need the awd. I'm sure down the line there will be plenty of kits to make the sxt look like the rt. and you'd probably spend less than 5,000 to do so. but like i said how useful is the awd for you.
What he/ she said, make a list of the pros and cons of both...gas mileage, AWD?, 18" wheels?....and decide from there.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The SXT+Accessories seems like the best value if you don't need AWD as stated above. A couple dealers told me the SXT was the better value (I thought it was funny a guy on commission would steer a buyer to a cheaper product :D)

Is it possible to get the original parts Dodge uses on the R/T ordered? If so, you could get it all ordered and save a good bit of cash.

·
Registered
357 Posts
my take on it is if you can afford it then get the top of the line. unfortunately there weren't and still aren't any R/T's in the State here and no idea when if ever they will make it over. to make things even easier for me there were only 2 SXTs, a silver and a marine blue so that made my choice even easier. it all drilled down neat and clean. do I still think about having an R/T? of course, it is the one that got away. but there is always someday...

someday an SVT! muahahahaha :D

now go get that nasty black R/T

·
Registered
414 Posts
Is there really that big of a mark up for an R/T in Hawaii?

That sucks......
Unless you really need the bigger motor, go with the SXT.

We went with the R/T because of the AWD, not sure there is that much need for that in Hawaii. We do not regret getting the R/T. In fact we are glad we bought this rather than the SXT we had on order.

The Auto-Stick was worth it alone, but add in the other touches, chrome and such. Very happy with it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
i know that i will be completely happy with my SXT and have no desire to pay the extra for chrome accents and fake chrome wheels.... plus they wouldn't sell me an R/T with 5 spd... and i'll never drive an automatic as long as they still make manual trannys

·
Registered
70 Posts
mudstone said:
i know that i will be completely happy with my SXT and have no desire to pay the extra for chrome accents and fake chrome wheels.... plus they wouldn't sell me an R/T with 5 spd... and i'll never drive an automatic as long as they still make manual trannys
your paying extra for the AWD and the fake chromies are optional, wouldnt want them either, standard is 18" alloys. I've always had manual tranny's and swore I would never own an automatic but the auto-stick really can grow on you.

·
Registered
506 Posts
nooooooooooooooooo don't go to the dark side of auto stick... the only auto stick i have driven is on a ford focus Euro spec hatchback and honestly i hated it... it's just not the same with my left foot just sitting there with nothing to do... i need that third pedal to feel like i am in control and not some computer

·
Registered
70 Posts
mudstone said:
nooooooooooooooooo don't go to the dark side of auto stick... the only auto stick i have driven is on a ford focus Euro spec hatchback and honestly i hated it... it's just not the same with my left foot just sitting there with nothing to do... i need that third pedal to feel like i am in control and not some computer
Cant tell you how many times I've pushed air with my left foot already, especially at red lights.

·
Registered
357 Posts
mr_badda_bing said:
Is there really that big of a mark up for an R/T in Hawaii?
? there aren't any here to markup :p but yes if they can get away with it they will mark everything up so caveat emptor. the first salesguy tried to sell me an SXT for, get this.... $23k OTD. I may look dumb but I'm not stupid! LOL :D

also I'm trying to tell myself that the CVT isn't quite like the regular "autotragic" transmissions but much better. either way there is no way I'm going to clutch it in this poor island's MASSIVE bumper to bumper traffic which lasts nearly all daylight hours Sun to Sun. very sorry to say I'm not kidding about this, they have truly paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

I'd go for the 2.4 just because :) it ups the towing capacity too don't it. AWD will sure help on slippery ramps I hate to spin and get pulled backwards and sink like that SUV video on the internet! anyone can drive an a/t, that helps widen the pool of asst. ramp launchers or hey go move the car "volunteers".

·
Registered
911 Posts
PAJeep said:
Cant tell you how many times I've pushed air with my left foot already, especially at red lights.
LOL

Been there done that!

:D

Manual transmissions kill resale values! I had 2 dealers that refused my '04 Stratus R/T Coupe because it had a manual transmission. The dealer I went through said I'd be getting $1500 more for my trade if it had an automatic in it. The majority of the population doesn't want a car with a manual transmission in it. Honestly, I don't blame them. Sometimes manual transmissions are a pain in the ass. They're not very good for multi-tasking for one thing. :D The only 2 things I like them for is slightly better gas milage, and getting more power out of the engine and keeping it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Has anyone test driven an sxt and an r/t. Id like to hear your comments on the different handling characteristics between both vehicles.

And as far as the traffic thing goes, i can totally understand where Hawaii is comming from. Sitting in bumper to bumper traffic in DC SUCKS A$$. Many times i get home from work and my leg is killing be because of the clutch...

·
Registered
17 Posts
black_sxt said:
I've been looking all over for a black caliber, I need it in this color. I have a deposit down on a Black SXT which shipped on the 15th ad the total price without taxes is $24,500 CAD and it will be here around July 1st. I just got a call from another dealer I was in contact with before I commited to the SXT and he said he has a Black R/T available for $29,035 CAD that I can drive home tonight.

I really like the R/T cause of the chrome, auto-stick and brakes. But I wanted to ask you guys for some input. Basically are the R/T owner's regretful at all about getting it, feeling that you could of settled for the SXT? And do the SXT owner's wish they could of gotten the R/T? Is it worth the extra $5,000?

Thanks.
Hey Black_sxt, what options did you go with in that SXT @ $24,500? I have ordered one (Sunburstorange) with everything but leather and u-connect and the MRSP is $23,325. Are you including any protection packages/tinting etc?

·
Registered
190 Posts
gsx rated98 said:
Has anyone test driven an sxt and an r/t. Id like to hear your comments on the different handling characteristics between both vehicles.

And as far as the traffic thing goes, i can totally understand where Hawaii is comming from. Sitting in bumper to bumper traffic in DC SUCKS A$$. Many times i get home from work and my leg is killing be because of the clutch...
I've driven the SXT 2.0L and the R/T, and i'd like to say this is all in my own opinion: There's no comparision between the SXT and R/T. The R/T feels like a completely different car. The suspension feels better and is more sporty, the all round abs brakes make a huge difference and the 2.4L auto-stick is a blast to drive. If you have the money go for the R/T, i picked mine up yesterday.

ps: this is black_sxt, i had to change my name cause i have r/t now

·
Registered
190 Posts
BP_Brandon said:
Hey Black_sxt, what options did you go with in that SXT @ $24,500? I have ordered one (Sunburstorange) with everything but leather and u-connect and the MRSP is $23,325. Are you including any protection packages/tinting etc?
Hey, changed my name to Black_RT cause i got an R/T instead... The SXT had musicgate, 2.0L auto, Smoker's group cause it was already shipped but i'm not a smoker, and a couple other things, it was pretty much fully loaded and was priced $21,500 CAD. I had to have sunroof and leather so they were gonna add those for $3000 CAD.

·
Registered
127 Posts
im in the middle of that delema right now, though im not buying for about another 2 months. Id actually prefer without the ABS, though insurance likes it, i dont. Its not that hard to driver your car, but when 90% of the drivers on the road freak out they just mash the brakes, so for the ABS is perfect, but me personally i dont like it.
Sorry, little rant there.
Ive been driving AWD for the last 4 years, and god knows i LOVE IT. But you could definatly feel a suspention difference? is there a ride hight difference between the two?

·
Registered
190 Posts
gsx rated98 said:
But you could definatly feel a suspention difference? is there a ride hight difference between the two?
i don't think there's a height difference, although i've never seen an r/t and sxt side by side. and i've never driven both on the same day.

the suspension difference is what sold me with the r/t. i find it hug's the road really well compared to the sxt. but i'm not too experienced here as i just got rid of a 96 grand cheroke... that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
127 Posts
ok, from what you just said im sure its the AWD working that makes it hug the road like that, making the suspention feel better. AWD is a great thing.

guess ill need to find a dealer with both and go for a spin...

·
Registered
190 Posts
gsx rated98 said:
ok, from what you just said im sure its the AWD working that makes it hug the road like that, making the suspention feel better. AWD is a great thing.
yea i guess it probably is the AWD, i'm not too experienced when it comes to suspension.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts