Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've had my Caliber now for 3 months, and I noticed this problem from the very first day.

Occasionally as I am driving I will hear a loud electric "chattering" noise from my radio speakers. I have come to the conclusion that it is some kind of cell phone interference. I have noticed that this "chattering" gets especially loud just prior to my cell phone ringing. At other times it is not as loud or quite as long, but still it's quite irritating.

I've mentioned it to my Chrysler service manager, and he said he had heard similiar stories from his mechanics. I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem ?
Or has someone discovered a solution to this problem ?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Don't store your cell phone in the cuby below the radio. It's even mentioned in the owners manual about it. Usually it's only blue tooth cell phones that do this, but any cell phone has the capability to cause radio interference.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Any phone, Bluetooth or not. Mine is not bluetooth and it makes a mad noise in the car or by the computer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had this problem, and it's NOT due to my cell phone. It's due to temperature. Whenever the temp gets to 15degF and below and when I start up my car and radio, static builds, fluctuates, and decreases in the speakers. I turn the stereo off, warm up the car by driving and having the heater on, then turn the stereo back on to find the noise either is gone or is still there.

This problem is due to the amp, which I am getting replaced tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I always put my cell phone in the cubby below the radio and have never had this problem. I have had no sounds of static or interference in my speakers. What type of sound system do you have in your Caliber??? I have the boston acoustics package with satellite radio.

·
Registered
775 Posts
At regular intervals, you cell phone sends out a signal making contact with any towers in the area. This signal can cause interference in sound systems. Interestingly, it's not your radio that picking up the interference, but the speaker system. If I put my cell phone in the cubby below the stereo, I get the interference whether I'm listing to AM, FM, or CD. I also get the same chatter if I place my cell phone too close to my computer speakers at home.

As you noted, the chatter is of a longer duration just prior to receiving a call. That's because the signal between the phone and the cell tower is more complex than the usual "Hey I'm here" signal the phone sends out when idle. Just prior to receiving a call, there is more data transmitted to the tower to establish a solid connection to the cell network.

If you play around a little, you'll find that the volume setting of the stereo has little effect on how loud the chatter is. The louder you play your music, the less you'll hear the chatter because the volume of the music drowns out the chatter sound. Turn the volume all the way down and you will still hear the chatter. That's a good indication that the interference is being picked up after the amplifier in the stereo.

This kind of interference chatter is common and normal when a cell phone is in close proximity to a sound system. Not getting this chatter at all is the exception to the rule.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts