Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our SXT has only about 2100 miles on it, and we noticed recently that the radio doesn't always turn off as it's supposed to when the engine is turned off, key removed, and the driver's door opened. Has anyone else experienced this?

BTW, It's not an "every time" occurrence - Sometimes the radio shuts off just as it's supposed to, so our fear is that if we take it to the dealer to investigate, the technicians won't be able to replicate the problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
There should be a switch, i don't know where, maybe on door sill near front (towards engine)..It's probably just dirty and getting stuck. Look around and see if you can find it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The radio stays on until you open a door.. driver or passenger... or at least that is how mine works. If you have a door open before you shut the engine down, then the radio should shut off immediately. Again, that is how mine works..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mines work the same way....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, let me try again. Everything you have said applies, However ...

Sometimes -- But not always -- the radio stays on even with the engine off, the key removed, and the driver's side door open. Opening the passenger door kills it every time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sound like a faulty drivers door switch. Check to see if your interior lights are coming on every time you open the drivers door. The signal from the drivers door switch would trigger the Body Control Module to turn the radio off, while at the same time, turning your interior lights on.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Nova Ranger said:
OK, let me try again. Everything you have said applies, However ...

Sometimes -- But not always -- the radio stays on even with the engine off, the key removed, and the driver's side door open. Opening the passenger door kills it every time.
I am guessing faulty door switch....not sure where it is located on the Caliber, but somewhere where the door closes to meet the rest of the body...inside the sill like, does the dome light come on when you open the driver door?? Or does it come on when the engine is turned off? If the light does not go on if the first case exists then I would say door switch.

I thought someone else had a problem with their door switch....

·
Registered
81 Posts
MOOK3452 said:
There should be a switch, i don't know where, maybe on door sill near front (towards engine)..It's probably just dirty and getting stuck. Look around and see if you can find it.

^^^^^^:rolleyes::cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Re: Update - Radio cutoff not working

Xtreme Thunder said:
I am guessing faulty door switch....not sure where it is located on the Caliber, but somewhere where the door closes to meet the rest of the body...inside the sill like, does the dome light come on when you open the driver door?? Or does it come on when the engine is turned off? If the light does not go on if the first case exists then I would say door switch. ....
Bingo. We finally took it back to the dealer yesterday after noticing that, not only would the radio stay on, but there was no chime if the door was open and the key in the ignition and/or headlights on. Today the dealer called back and said that the door latch needs to be replaced ... Apparently the whole door ajar/keys/lights on/radio on alert switch is part of that assembly.:eek:

The good(?) news was that he thought he could get the latch as early as tomorrow ... Oh well, at least it's saving on my lease mileage allowance. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
126 Posts

Nova Ranger said:
Bingo. We finally took it back to the dealer yesterday after noticing that, not only would the radio stay on, but there was no chime if the door was open and the key in the ignition and/or headlights on. Today the dealer called back and said that the door latch needs to be replaced ... Apparently the whole door ajar/keys/lights on/radio on alert switch is part of that assembly.:eek:

The good(?) news was that he thought he could get the latch as early as tomorrow ... Oh well, at least it's saving on my lease mileage allowance. :rolleyes:
Congrats, and good look in the future. Its amazing how all things now a days are together in a car.

·
Registered
68 Posts

kjguy_43 said:
Congrats, and good look in the future. Its amazing how all things now a days are together in a car.
That sounds right, eveything he described recieves input from that sensor. Basically it just doesn't know the door is open.

The radio cut off is part of Retained Accessory Power, so for about 45 seconds after you pull the key out and leave the doors closed you can operate anything power like Power Windows, Radio, etc...

Glad to hear they're taking care of you. Hopefully no more problems for you in the future :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same thing happened to me as well. They are replacing the door sensor for me tomorrow. I was told that there was a national backorder so I thought that the wait would have been longer than 3 days!!!

Hope this will the porblem!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts