Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alrighty, so we know that the indash 6 cd player can do random rotation within a single cd. does anyone know if it can randomize between all six? like it's all and good to have it randomize just the one disc, but i want music from all six swtiching about. anyone know if i just missed a button or something?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't know, but I realized that if you rip your CD's to MP3's, you can get about 250 songs on 1 CD as MP3's. So if it won't random between CD's, you can put a ton of music on 1 cd.

Other than that, you might have missed the "SWITCHING ABOUT" Button!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Superbang, I never put alot of thought into your avatar, but I think you really love your Caliber!!!!! J/K

Later

Mike

·
Registered
683 Posts
True but compressed mp3's have horrible sound to me. Thats how you end up with 250 songs on one CD. The sound quality suffers. Great when using cheap headphones while jogging but not the same on a car or home stereo system. Hmm...maybe with the stock speakers (non-musicgate/boston) you might not be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The Cd with MP3's on my Caliber sounds fine, Obviously that is my point of view. I don't crank the CD i made, because it is the Beatles I made for my wife and it has about 190 songs on it. I have the BA Musicgate system. The MP3 CD does not sound any worse than Sirius. I do agree that a normal CD does sound much better though than Sirius or the MP3 CD. But I am used to having my Sirius S-50 where I can save songs off Sirius like an Ipod and play them back whenever I want. The Sirius in the Caliber just has no features so the MP3 CD is another easy way to have your songs and not have to switch CD's all the time. MP3's also have different quality depending on how you rip the song from the original CD, and I understand that it is not the same as a Normal Audio CD. It is very evident if you crank up an MP3 CD and compare it to an original CD that the MP3 CD won't compare at all.

You are probably right also that if you don't have the MusicGate system, the difference may be very minimal.

Later

Mike

Still nobody has answered the question about the random between cd's. I just figured this would be another option.

·
Registered
187 Posts
FtK Shadow said:
...The MP3 CD does not sound any worse than Sirius...
I thought it was just me. I've noticed that when I switch from Sirius to a local FM station that the sonic quality improvement is quite noticeable. I have MusicGate.

·
Registered
153 Posts
donsmith said:
I thought it was just me. I've noticed that when I switch from Sirius to a local FM station that the sonic quality improvement is quite noticeable. I have MusicGate.
Satellite Radio Signals are compressed and don't have the quality of other medias.

My whole point is that if you listen to music on Sirius, it has the same quality or less than an MP3 CD. An MP3 bitrate is usually between 120k and 180k or even higher with the higher bitrate being better quality. Sirius is supposed to have a bitrate on it's music channels between 60k and 80k and even less on Entertainment and News Channels.

I am not bagging on Sirius, I love Sirius.

I guess I got off the point of this thread a little.

I had just forgotten how compressed MP3's are and how many songs you can rip to a CD.

Check here:

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/gizmos/0,61668-0.html

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I don't think there is a random disc option, and the time between songs as it switched CDs would be more than I could take anyways. On my car switching between MP3 discs is probably about a 20 second delay if not more.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Thats true. Sirius compression leaves the sound quality rather poor to me. I listen to Blue Collar Comedy and sometimes Discovery channel or news on Sirius so the compression isn't a problem. Originally I thought my stereo even with musicgate just sounded crappy. After putting in a CD I found it sounded pretty darn good.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I did the same thing Huff, stereo just didn't sound that great, and then put in a CD and Wow!!!! Much better the difference is night and day. Sirius just can't keep up with the quality of the system.

I think HKSR hit the nail on the head, the time to change between CD's would leave you with a long pause in between songs.

Later

Mike

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use only 192kbs mp3 files. The sound quality is as close as you can get to a studio album while still keeping the compressed format. I still get 110-125 tracks on a single disk and the quality is so much better than most 128k files you'll pull of the internet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi !

I'm searching how to change of folder/album on a MP3 cd .

Actually I need to pass all files to change.. ( 25 files = press 25 times :( )
So I let you imagine if I want pass 3 albums ...

thanks !

·
Registered
414 Posts
superbang said:
ok, so only one guy answers my question... thanks anyway.
SB, there is no way to random the disc selection. The legnth of time it takes to load would make that very annoying.

devy said:
Hi !

I'm searching how to change of folder/album on a MP3 cd .

Actually I need to pass all files to change.. ( 25 files = press 25 times :( )
So I let you imagine if I want pass 3 albums ...

thanks !
The MP3's are not seen as subdirectories. I am not sure you can burn them to be seen as such. At least I have not found a way. I have tried to organize the songs and albums this way and it does not seem to make a difference in how the stereo recognizes the MP3's.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if i understand you correctly devy, are you trying to change from different folders on an mp3 disc and that the only way you've been able to is to just skip each song till it pops over to the next folder? if that is the problem, you can just click the bottom most left button on the radio. it pulls up each folder you've created so long as it's been named and the you just use the tuning knob to scroll down to it and then click the tuning knob and it'll select that folder... i'm not sure if that's what you're getting at but that's what i do.

·
Registered
414 Posts
superbang said:
if i understand you correctly devy, are you trying to change from different folders on an mp3 disc and that the only way you've been able to is to just skip each song till it pops over to the next folder? if that is the problem, you can just click the bottom most left button on the radio. it pulls up each folder you've created so long as it's been named and the you just use the tuning knob to scroll down to it and then click the tuning knob and it'll select that folder... i'm not sure if that's what you're getting at but that's what i do.
I learned something today.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts