Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
. . .not lierally, I didn't actually "run into" him. I met another Caliber owner at the gas station last night. He owns a silver SXT. As were were pumping gas at adjacent pumps, I commented, "Nice car. How do you like it?" His response surprised me. He said, "I don't, I want to get rid of it." I asked why and he said, "Because it's only FWD, I want 4WD." In further conversation I found this guy has only owned his for a couple of months.

What I don't understand is, if you want 4WD, why did yu waste your time even looking at a FWD vehicle in the first place. If you aren't happy with FWD then you just wasted all that money on a car you knew you weren't going to like in the first place. Sure you can sell it and recoup some of your money, but the depriciation from driving it off the lot is enough to make you lose money when you turn around and sell it right away. You're definitely not going to get the new retail price when you sell a used car, even if it is only a couple months old, so why bother buying something you don't want to begin with? If it was a car you needed until you could find a 4WD vehicle you liked, you would have been better off buying a used car in the interim.

I just don't understand the whole, "I don't want it because it's FWD" thing. It's not like Ddge lied to you and convinced you it was 4WD before you bought it, all the pertinent paperwork clearly says FWD. And, if you were lied to, then you have clear legal recourse to get out of the purchase without taking a loss.

I would have understood if the guy had said he didn't like the ride, or the feel of the car. But, to be upset about something you knew before you made the purchase just seems a little nuts to me. If you don't like what one car offers, then look for a different car, don't waste your time or money on something you don't want in the first place.

Of course, the time and money spent on the Caliber is his own time and money, and he's free to do with it as he pleases, even if that means buying something he doesn't want, but his attitude just seemed to me to be that of a guy with no common sense. "I don't like this, I don't want this, but I'll buy it anyway and then complain about it."

·
Registered
343 Posts
I totally agree with you. People hating a car for something they knew about before they bought it is insane...a recipe for disaster. But, on the other hand...maybe he thought FWD meant Four Wheel Drive :D

·
Registered
413 Posts
AHHHHH!!!! I'm glad I got mine in AWD.......no reason to complain.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You should have sympathy with someone that makes the wrong decision & later regrets it. Wrong decisions are made all the time. We're people. Maybe, he didn't have the money for the 4x4 he really wanted when he first purchased, but now he has a few Pesos more. Possibly, he thought he could get by with front wheel drive for where he was living, & he moved to a spot that really needed the 4x4. Maybe he made his decision in summer & now its winter(with ice all around him). Its America & people change their minds for lots of reasons. Thank God, we can have the capability to change our minds & carry through with our plans. Many people can't accomplish their plans. Grace & peace to all...litesong

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
litesong said:
You should have sympathy with someone that makes the wrong decision & later regrets it. Wrong decisions are made all the time. We're people. Maybe, he didn't have the money for the 4x4 he really wanted when he first purchased, but now he has a few Pesos more. Possibly, he thought he could get by with front wheel drive for where he was living, & he moved to a spot that really needed the 4x4. Maybe he made his decision in summer & now its winter(with ice all around him). Its America & people change their minds for lots of reasons. Thank God, we can have the capability to change our minds & carry through with our plans. Many people can't accomplish their plans. Grace & peace to all...litesong
1. If I want 4WD and don't have the money for it at the moment, I won't tie up my money in a new car I don't want. I'll be able to afford the 4WD quicker if I save my money until I can afford it. Used cars cost less than a new Caliber.
2. No ice or snow in this area at all yet.
3. This Germany, not America.
4. Yes he is human and makes mistakes, which is why I said,
Michael K. said:
Of course, the time and money spent on the Caliber is his own time and money, and he's free to do with it as he pleases, even if that means buying something he doesn't want, . . ."

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I would have asked him why he bought it then. Or maybe mentioned the fact that they do make AWD Calibers and that he should have bought one of those. I too can't understand why someone would buy a car they knew wasn't what they wanted, and I would have tried to figure out what the hell he was thinking when he bought it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not to play devils advocate here but I purchased a FWD model because I couldn't justify at the time the need to have AWD. I had a truck that was 4WD, and every car prior to the Cali was FWD. I have owned mine for about 9 months now and I now too wish it was AWD. Am I unhappy with what I currently own, heck no, well a little but not really. But I also wish it was AWD and unfortunately, the next car I own will not be either....HEHE.... Going with a Challenger! :D Probably keep the Caliber though.

·
Registered
414 Posts
This is the same thing as people buying the Caliber without the Drivers Convenience group and then wanting to add it. Or non heated seats, and then wanting to add them, or the Musicgateand then trying to get that installed, I could go on and on.

Do your research before you buy anything, decided what you want and what you need. Then spend your money. For those that cannot handle that, I have a really nice bridge for sell.

CHEAP.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I wouldn't say it's the ame thing as not getting some options that you wish you woudl have now that you see them. There are some options I wish I had, but it 's far from making me unhappy with my car. I would have to say though after having a Magnum SXT for a rental for 4 ays, I kinda wish I would have held out and bought a Magnum instead of the Caliber. The extra space would have been real nice, especially now that we are expecting our second child, which we ddn't know when we bought the Caliber. I am still pleased with my Caliber, and wouldn't tell anyone I am unhappy with it.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I actually got the caliber as a comprimise from the magnum. I would have gotten the AWD magnum but it was nowhere near my price range. Also with the hemi option i woulda HAD to have it. So i went with the cheaper caliber with AWD and im quite happy with it. But if i can eventually afford the magnum i will get one.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Fingernipp said:
I actually got the caliber as a comprimise from the magnum. I would have gotten the AWD magnum but it was nowhere near my price range. Also with the hemi option i woulda HAD to have it. So i went with the cheaper caliber with AWD and im quite happy with it. But if i can eventually afford the magnum i will get one.
That's basically why we went with the Caliber over the Magnum as well, but I coud have held out a little longer and afforded the Magnum.

·
Registered
614 Posts
mr_badda_bing said:
This is the same thing as people buying the Caliber without the Drivers Convenience group and then wanting to add it. Or non heated seats, and then wanting to add them, or the Musicgateand then trying to get that installed, I could go on and on.

Do your research before you buy anything, decided what you want and what you need. Then spend your money. For those that cannot handle that, I have a really nice bridge for sell.

CHEAP.

This is the justification of a factory order. I did not enjoy the delivery wait of my R/T but as a reward, have not had to live with any regrets. Nothing worse than regrets on a major purchase:(

My 14 year old son just bought a 2GB Ipod Nano. I told him he should wait a little longer, save a little more, and get the 4GB model. But noooooo....., he had to have it NOW. Last night he mentioned he is down to 60MB of storage and admitting he should have followed the advice. I'm not rubbing it in though as I can remember being a lot more impulsive than I am now:) Hopefully he takes the experience forward and next time WILL think twice or three times.

Moral of the story: Think ahead, be forward looking, do the research, don't let the emotion of the moment overwhelm good judgement; and be patient / mature enough to realize NOW may not be right time. If you are too impulsive and want instant gratification, then you may end up asking, "Nice bridge, how cheap"?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mr_badda_bing said:
Do your research before you buy anything, decided what you want and what you need. Then spend your money.
I'm too much of a tight @$$ with my money not to do research on a major purchase. I spent several months checking out all kinds of cars before deciding on the Caliber. I considered my needs, how I would use the car, and what options I would be willing to pay extra for, found a list of cars that met my requirements, then found the one with the most "bang for the buck" within a price range I was willing to pay.

I could have afforded an new BMW 3 series, but could not justify to myself spending that kind of money when I could get the same ammount of car for less. I also went without some options that other people really like because I don't see them as a necessity to me, and I am not at all unhappy that I didn't get them. For example, I didn't get the musicgate, but I rarely crank my music up loud enough to need the extra speakers. Personally for me, the extra cost of the musicgate was not worth the limited benefit I would get from it (nothing against anyone who got it, that's great for you, just a personal desicion on my part).

All-in-all, I have two cars that I puchased new (one in '96 and one in '06) and my total purchase cost investment for both cars is under $30K. Some people spend more than that on one car, but as I stated earlier, I'm too much of a tight @$$ to spend more money than absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
TechMan said:
This is the justification of a factory order. I did not enjoy the delivery wait of my R/T but as a reward, have not had to live with any regrets. Nothing worse than regrets on a major purchase:(

Moral of the story: Think ahead, be forward looking, do the research, don't let the emotion of the moment overwhelm good judgement; and be patient / mature enough to realize NOW may not be right time. If you are too impulsive and want instant gratification, then you may end up asking, "Nice bridge, how cheap"?
I would have loved to factory order, but we needed a car fairly quickly. My wifes car died while I was gone on deployment and she was using my Dakota as her driver. When I got home, it wasn't feesable to have only one vehicle. With me working, and her at home with the kid, she needed a car to drive in case she needed to go somewhere. Being in the position I am in the military it makes it hard to be able to take time off from work to chaufer my wife around due to having only one vehicle. And making her take me to work and pick me up is not convenient with a baby. We had been looking at the Caliber for a while, and it was in our price range. Our only other option was to get a used magnum. We needed a car big enough to fit our stroller and car seat in, which really narowed down the list of possible vehicles. The Caliber fit the bill for price and internal space. Plus with it being a brand new car, we had full use of the warranty for any problems, and didn't have to worry about abuse from the previous owner. I ws pre-approved for a loan, so knew what i had to work with for price. But for used vehciles, we were only pre-approved for up to $18K, which wouldnt have gotten us the Magnum we woudl have wanted to not sacrafice options we wouldn't want to do without. So the Caliber it was.

·
Registered
614 Posts
HSKR said:
I would have loved to factory order, but we needed a car fairly quickly. My wifes car died while I was gone on deployment and she was using my Dakota as her driver. When I got home, it wasn't feesable to have only one vehicle. With me working, and her at home with the kid, she needed a car to drive in case she needed to go somewhere. Being in the position I am in the military it makes it hard to be able to take time off from work to chaufer my wife around due to having only one vehicle. And making her take me to work and pick me up is not convenient with a baby. We had been looking at the Caliber for a while, and it was in our price range. Our only other option was to get a used magnum. We needed a car big enough to fit our stroller and car seat in, which really narowed down the list of possible vehicles. The Caliber fit the bill for price and internal space. Plus with it being a brand new car, we had full use of the warranty for any problems, and didn't have to worry about abuse from the previous owner. I ws pre-approved for a loan, so knew what i had to work with for price. But for used vehciles, we were only pre-approved for up to $18K, which wouldnt have gotten us the Magnum we woudl have wanted to not sacrafice options we wouldn't want to do without. So the Caliber it was.
IMHO a great choice:) The Caliber pricing and bang for buck/feature list did it for me as well. After looking at all the other choices and costs, I bought the Caliber because I could not find a better looking, finer driving, feature / equipment rich product. I looked at and considered a very wide assortment of alternatives.

I picked up a boxed 100" portable projection screen from Purolator courier some time back. Another person there driving a PT Cruiser remarked about me not being able to get it in the Caliber. After folding one rear and the front passenger seat forward, I got it in and closed the rear hatch. The PT owner looked at me and said the Caliber was on top of the list for their next vehicle:)

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Michael K. said:
I'm too much of a tight @$$ with my money not to do research on a major purchase. I spent several months checking out all kinds of cars before deciding on the Caliber. I considered my needs, how I would use the car, and what options I would be willing to pay extra for, found a list of cars that met my requirements, then found the one with the most "bang for the buck" within a price range I was willing to pay.

I could have afforded an new BMW 3 series, but could not justify to myself spending that kind of money when I could get the same ammount of car for less. I also went without some options that other people really like because I don't see them as a necessity to me, and I am not at all unhappy that I didn't get them. For example, I didn't get the musicgate, but I rarely crank my music up loud enough to need the extra speakers. Personally for me, the extra cost of the musicgate was not worth the limited benefit I would get from it (nothing against anyone who got it, that's great for you, just a personal desicion on my part).

All-in-all, I have two cars that I puchased new (one in '96 and one in '06) and my total purchase cost investment for both cars is under $30K. Some people spend more than that on one car, but as I stated earlier,
I'm too much of a tight @$$ to spend more money than absolutely necessary.
The highlighted portions are me to a tee!!!:D:D:D:D:cool:

I have been researching the Caliber over a year now, and among other cars! I am a very patient person when it comes to a major purchase, because of past bad experiences with things. You live and learn I guess, and those mistakes hopefully will not be made in the future. People seem to learn quick when it comes to mistakes with money! Maybe he needed to get a car, I don' know this guys full story, but mistakes are to be made and all new decisions will be thought upon better.

It could be seen either way...

·
Registered
413 Posts
If I had the choice.........(which i didn't) I would have ordered my car with the options I didn't get by picking it off the lot. Basically i said it before.....I'm just missing the drivers group and U-connect.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts