Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some days ago I have been able to hear a rattle in the engine like a diesel. This single one happens with the engine idling, and when I press on clutch this noise takes off. Is this normal?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Different problems -- the linked thread is for the spark knock that some people have seen while launching the car or accellerating. If you have a noise at idle that goes away when you push in the clutch, sounds like gear rattle or a clutch problem. Neither is necessarilly normal -- I'd at least mention the issue to the dealer.

If it's gear rattle (basically the sound of the gears and synchros in the transmission rattling against each other when they're not under load) -- then it'll tend to be worse with more engine load (turn on the defrost, A/C, etc and see if it gets louder). Also, you can change the noise (louder or quieter) by GENTLY pressing on the shifter (kind of trying to force it into gear without the clutch). Note -- don't go jamming on the shifter too hard or too long or you'll risk damage to the synchros in your transmission.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Tito, thank you for your reply. I'm going to try to explain:It isn't a rattle caused by the gear, it's caused by the engine. When I bought the car, it was completely quiet, but now, when I start the engine, the rattle begins only with the engine idling. After this, when I'm driving by the city or road, nothing happens... I think ...

·
Registered
683 Posts
Sounds like spark knock (pre-ignition). Mine does this badly. Sounds very similar to a diesel. There is a TSB to update the computet to correct this. I had that done but it had no effect. Have to take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
259 Posts
panzita said:
Hi Tito, thank you for your reply. I'm going to try to explain:It isn't a rattle caused by the gear, it's caused by the engine. When I bought the car, it was completely quiet, but now, when I start the engine, the rattle begins only with the engine idling. After this, when I'm driving by the city or road, nothing happens... I think ...
Based on the information you have provided it sounds like the exact same problem I had which was fixed by the recall. The information for that is in the link above that I provided. I could get my car to do it really bad if I pushed the gas all the way down and let up quickly the whole engine would diesel and rattle. It would also stallsometimes at lights even with the clutch in. It doesn't do any of that anymore :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

All right, now I konw what happens with my car. I'll take it to the dealer to solve the problem. I hope that this is not serious, the car only has 250 kilometers (about 155 miles)…:(

·
Registered
259 Posts
panzita said:

All right, now I konw what happens with my car. I'll take it to the dealer to solve the problem. I hope that this is not serious, the car only has 250 kilometers (about 155 miles)…:(
It is a simple computer software upgrade it only took 20 minutes for the dealer to update it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts