Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a light rattle, almost thought it was speaker static at first...seems to be coming from under the front passenger seat. Anyone else have this prob? Haven't seen any TSB's for it.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
O'Reily said:
I've got a light rattle, almost thought it was speaker static at first...seems to be coming from under the front passenger seat. Anyone else have this prob? Haven't seen any TSB's for it.
here is a tsb for this i think
TSB 08-19-06 Speaker Static
NUMBER: 08-019-06
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: May 3, 2006

SUBJECT:

Speaker Static

MODELS:

2007 (PM) Caliber

DISCUSSION:

If a cell phone which is turned on is stored in the cubby bin directly below the radio, it may
cause static from the speaker(s). This is not a radio or speaker malfunction. The condition
may be lessened or eliminated by relocating the cellular phone to another location.

Some types of cell phones are known to cause this problem while the phone is turned on
and operating in extended range mode.

POLICY:

Information Only

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't believe it's the speaker, does it with the radio off and with no cell phones in the car. Just meant to say the rattle sounds similar to static.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the same rattle, on both sides. I thought that my speakers were blown. I have't narrowed it down, but I think its inside the door somewhere.

·
Registered
175 Posts
When I had my Caliber it sounds like it was around the front passenger side of the car. Thought it was the speaker, door, seat, or suspension. It turn out to be an miss align hood..

Try it... I guess

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had that rattle...and now I don't. It took some time to narrow its location down to the front wheel-well. I bought a thick felt pad (Target sells it as furniture footing so you don't scar your floors). Anyway, that black material in the wheel well doesn't fit very good. Take your hand and press towards the inner-body of the car and you'll see that it gives quite easily. I noticed that where it met with the fender that I could actually make that rattling noise by flapping that black material against it. So, I took those pads with the adhesive backing and wedged a couple in between where the black material met with the metal fender. I immediately noticed that I couldn't make the material flap anymore. I did this low-tech mode to both the passenger and driver side. I'm so much happier now.

Oh...one other piece of information. I noticed that the rattling (flapping) got much worst the faster I went. That was my clue that it must have been related to windage.

Try it and rid yourself of the noise.

Tyke

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have not heard anything that sounds like that with mine so my question is why is it heard on some but not all Calibers? MrTyke, have you checked all of the push pin and spat screws to make sure they are all secure?

·
Registered
311 Posts
IBUILDCALIBERSUAW1268 said:
MrTyke, have you checked all of the push pin and spat screws to make sure they are all secure?
You've hit the problem much more square than I illustrated. My push-pins had pulled through that black material and could not be put back. That's why I put those felt "bushings" in place. No more rattle.

·
Registered
687 Posts
When you say pulled through the splash shield/black plastic did it rip threw the hole in the splash shield? Did you only find the problem on one of the front splash shields? If the hole in the splash shield is not damaged the push pin can be re-used. If the hole is damaged you may have hit something and it hit/tore the push pin out. If the hole is not damaged my guess would be the operator unknowingly put the push pin in and missed the hole through the splash shield. If it's clear the splash shield is not damaged, you could take it to the dealership to have them fix it.

If you want to try first:
To retract the push pin for use again you insert something under each side of the center circle through the notch on each side and pull up while pushing away with the rest of the push pin.

Would you be able to get a picture and post it here so I can get a better idea of what might have happened?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I also have a rattle that I thought was my front driver speaker blown out. But then I realized it does it without the radio on. I haven't been able to narrow it down but it definitely sounds like it's inside the driver door or somewhere in that area.

·
Registered
644 Posts
i have it on the passenger side somewhere... either inside the door or a lose on the exterior of the car.. its definately not speaker related. its only noticable at higher speeds... its sounds like plastic rattling.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Yeah i get an occasional rattle by the subwoofer. It seems to possibly be a harness vibrating around that has enough movement to do it intermittantly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fingernipp said:
Yeah i get an occasional rattle by the subwoofer. It seems to possibly be a harness vibrating around that has enough movement to do it intermittantly.
I had my R/T in the shop all day last Monday so they could fix this problem. They told me that the harness back by the sub was 'broken' which caused the rattle whenever I was thumping or just driving over roads with bumps. It's fixed.

Tomorrow I go back to get the Amp replaced to fix the static in the speakers problem.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I've got a rattle that's coming from the passenger side door in the back, or behind it one. I hear it all the time, low or high speeds. I need to take it to the dealer to fix, but I have to have my car to get to work, AND, I'm 19, so they probably wont help me with a rental either. :( I guess I can bring it in on the weekend or something.

·
Registered
413 Posts
O'Reily said:
maybe it could be this.....

TSB 23-028-06 REV. A Clicking/Creaking Sound From Seat Or Looseness At Front Of Seat Cushion
NUMBER: 23-028-06 REV. A
GROUP: Body
DATE: September 20, 2006

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 23-028-06, DATED
JULY 19, 2006, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS
ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDES AN UPDATED
OVERVIEW, VEHICLE BUILD DATE AND REPAIR PROCEDURE.

SUBJECT:

Clicking/Creaking Sound From Seat Or Looseness At Front Of Seat Cushion

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves adding electrical tape to the cushion pan attachment crosstube,
installing new plastic brackets on the driver, passenger or both front seat(s) **and
removing the pink foam block from both the lower front outboard side shields**.

MODELS:

2007 (PM) Caliber

2007 (MK-49) Compass

NOTE: **This bulletin applies to vehicles built before September 16, 2006 (MDH
0916XX).**

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The front cushion of the seat may feel loose and/or the seats may make a clicking or
creaking sound when:

i. Stopping and accelerating
ii. Driving around corners
DIAGNOSIS:

If the sound is present for the driver or passenger front seats as described in the
Symptom/Condition perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

Qty. Part No. Description
(AR) 05183370AA Plastic Bracket Attach Front (2 brackets per seat)
(AR) NPN Electrical Tape

23-028-06 REV. A -2

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. Open door.
2. Move the seat to the forward position.
3. From under the seat remove the bolts (2) and the straps (1).
Fig. 1 CUSHION NUTS

1 -Straps and Brackets
2 -Cushion Bolts

4. Disconnect the electrical connector, if equipped.
5. Is tape already present on the crosstube?
a. Yes -Proceed to Step #7.
b. No -Proceed to Step #6.
6. Apply electrical tape per (Fig. 2). Wrap the tape around the crosstube, two wraps.

-3-23-028-06 REV. A

Fig. 2 TAPE LOCATION

1 -128 mm (5 in)
2 -60 mm (2.6 in)

7. Install new plastic brackets.
NOTE: Each front seat has two brackets.

8. Reinstall metal straps and bolts, torque to 12.5Nm (110 in. lbs.)
9. **Is the vehicle a Compass built before September 16, 2006?**
a. Yes -Proceed to Step #10.
b. No -Repair Complete.
CAUTION: Do not pull side shield out too much in the next step. Only pull out
enough to access the pink foam block.

10. **Using your hand pull the lower outboard side shield away from the seat frame(Fig.
3).**

23-028-06 REV. A -4-

Fig. 3 OUTER SHIELD

1 -Lower Outboard Side Shield
2 -Pink Foam Block

11. **Remove the pink foam block from the lower outboard side shield.**
12. **Ensure the lower outboard side shield is snapped back into place.**
NOTE: Be sure to perform this action for both front seats.

POLICY:

Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

Labor Operation No: Description Amount
23-20-36-96 Apply electrical tape and new plastic crosstube
brackets to one seat (C)
0.3 Hrs.
23-20-36-95 Apply electrical tape and new plastic crosstube
brackets to two seats (C)
0.6 Hrs

FAILURE CODE:

ZZ Service Action

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine does it at sustained speeds, it doesn't seem to be affected by stopping, accelerating, or curves. Seems like just the vibration of the car at speed (or even slowly on rough roads..driveway..etc.)causes the rattle...not actual motion in the seat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts