Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Garfield (my Caliber's nickname, haha!) has developed this REALLY annoying rattle on the driver's rear corner. It just happens over bumps like when pulling out of driveways and such. Drives me bonkers. Dealer looked at it, thought they fixed it, but it's back. So, they took a look again, and they've decided to replace the struts now. They've got them ordered and they will be installing them on Monday. So, hopefully this works :) 8K miles........yeesh :)

Chanda

·
Registered
567 Posts
i like your choice of rides, yea i hate rattles to, but being a poor college kid its just a part of my life i guess lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sounds like my rattle. I was shutting the passenger door and heard it! I believe I have narrowed it down to a piece of plastic trim on the inside rim on the underside of the car.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Might be some broken or missing splash sheild push pins in the wheel well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I nosed around under there today and I can't find anything loose. The noise is so freakin' hard to pinpoint! The new struts go in tomorrow so we'll see if it helps :)

Chanda

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the new struts didn't help. Krieger's in Muscatine is getting very frustrated, but they're working VERY hard to pinpoint the issue. They're picking it up again tomorrow to try another route :)

Chanda

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Is it easy to replicate the conditions that cause the rattle? If so i say passenger riding in the back with the spare removed and no cover installed might be easier to find the basic region. Even using cans on a string can help pinpoint it if you can get it to do it at will.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is the rear cover in? If so maybe pull it and go for a drive and see if sound is still there. Mine squeaked in the passenger rear when the rear cover was open because the back panel with the sub was not on correctly. I also had both rear struts replaced as well over a period of time.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They replaced the rear strut again and of course the noise was still there. After chatting with Chrysler, they got me a rental. They have finally tracked down the noise to the driver's side rear brake caliper. It's ordered and set to be installed on Tuesday :D And if this doesn't fix it, I give up ;)

Chanda

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, the new caliper and adapter along with the recall work they did didn't fix the rattle. It came back yesterday afternoon. I'm getting SO frustrated with this! Krieger's is coming to pick it up again on Friday to try AGAIN to track it down. They've even gotten Chrysler involved so we'll see what happens. *sigh*

Chanda

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Hey, at least you have a dealer willing to work and try to figure it out instead of telling you to live with it, or they can't find it, so it's not a problem. You sure it's coming from the wheel area?? Have you checked to make sure the spare tire and jack are tightened down good? Maybe something in that area.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We've tried all of it. I don't know if it's from the wheel area, it's just in the general area of the driver's rear corner :D My tonneau cover has also developed an annoying squeak, but just wiggling it around makes that stop ;) And yes, Krieger's in Muscatine, IA is a spectacular dealer! I just wish I actually bought the car from them :(

Chanda

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Maybe there is a prankster on the assembly line. I have heard storys about people putting cans and bolts in door panels and such to drive mechanics and owners crazy down the line.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I had tonneau cover squeak as well,simply took some self adhesive
foam rubber door seal and put small piece where the cover fits
in at sidewalls and in the hook shaped latch near the hatch and
no longer bothered with noise(plastic rubbing on plastic).

·
Registered
687 Posts
Fingernipp - I've not heard that before! :confused: I doubt that would happen in the BAP plant where the Caliber is made. I've seen and heard of many pranks but none that would be negative for the customer. I do have some good stories workers have played on other workers. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a rattle that came about after the dealer did strut and bushing work.
Sounds like a loose piece of metal. Dealer thinks its a bumper in strut assembly.
L.O.L

·
Registered
130 Posts
i had something like that. it was actually the A-pillar.... I showed them the TSB on it, no more rattle...

(i realize you say its coming from the back. i thought that about mine at first too, but with more inspection it wasn't the back at all, just sounded like it)

·
Registered
96 Posts
My rattle has not gone away yet either.....The dealer replaced:struts, bushings,bumpers,and Gas tank filler neck...No luck.

Its going to the body shop next week to look for a loose piece metal in frame.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts