Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let you all know, I have never done any mods on a car short of adding a new stereo and a ski rack. Now, I was looking at getting a few things done at a shop near by and one of the things that came to light during my discussion with the tech was about RDS. Now, I'm not a very informed person on the topic but, the tech told me that any radio with RDS imprinted on the radio meant that if you removed the radio for an aftermarket one, the computer would see that it has been removed and will (I can't believe they would do this) deploy the airbag. It seems far-fetched to me. I wasn't sure whether to laugh or not. The guy was clearly serious and told me they had a means to circumvent the issue by lengthening the cabling and placing the stock radio out of the way yet still keep it attatched. It didn't seem like he was trying to get money out of me for it so, I can't see why he would mislead me about it. Can anyone fill me in on the RDS issue? I have many questions and no answers to offer. This one seemed as good a place as any to begin with.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Radio Data System
RDS stands for Radio Data System. RDS tuners can automatically tune in stations according to the style of music (or talk) they broadcast. Some RDS tuners can even break in with traffic alerts or emergency broadcasts when you're listening to a CD. RDS enables your receiver to display text messages (usually call letters and format info) that many FM stations include on a subcarrier signal within their normal broadcast signal.

Doesn't seem to have anything to do with security or theft anything. The only thing I've ever seen like this is in the new Cavaliers and Sunfires. If you replaced your OEM stereo you would lose your door chimes, so they had a harness that would relocate the OEM stereo to the trunk for that purpose.

Still nothing to do with theft or security.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, that's a load off. Thanks for the info. I'm suprised the guy would say something like that without knowing for sure what he was talking about. Maybe he was just messing with me. Thanks for setting me straight.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah, what they said -- I think the risk of the radio setting of the air bag is approximately zero. That said, since the chrysler radio is on the vehicle bus network, pulling it out and replacing it with something else is likely to set a fault in one of the modules somewhere, and some of the neat integrated features (radio display in the dash, steering wheel audio controls, etc.) probably won't work. I wouldn't expect the fault to set any lights or anything, but it'll be hanging out in the background...

·
Registered
81 Posts
LOl if that were true, there would be sooooo many lawsuits.

"Your honor, I was changing my stereo and all of a sudden BOOOM!! My neck was busted.."

Do yourself a favor and NEVER go back to that place again....EVER!:eek:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point hahaha. Never thought about it that way. The place was kind of shady anyway. Looked like it doubled for a junk yard. Guess instead of trying to find the best price I should take reliability and reputation into consideration as well.

·
Registered
506 Posts
just get it installed at best buy... they even give you a warranty... or if you can get to a US Army Auto Pride... sometimes they are off posts and they will do work for civilians if they don't have a lot of active duty waiting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I respect all military services but, as an ex sailor, I don't think I could show my face around the shipyards if I ever went into an army auto pride. Plus, the main thing I went there for was to get tinting done. I think I'm ok with the radio set up. Was thinking of getting an aftermarket stereo so I could hook the old iPod up through the aux input. I like the info on the info center and the ease of Sirius use too much to change it now though. I just use a better FM transmitter than I was using before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts