Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any idea how difficult it would be to replace my rear drum brakes with disk brakes? Would it be as simple as buying a rear disk system for the caliber and swapping them out, ot would it be a little more in depth than that?

How about cost? Would I be looking at a couple hundred dollars or several thousand dollars?

Would such a swap even be worth the time, effort and cost?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Im betting it will cost a good bit for an OEM style system. You will likely have to make some plumming changes as well and probably swap master cylinder and such.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am wondering the same thing. If I am going to be putting wheels on her, I want full disk.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Haven't done it myself (and I'd like to do the same swap at some point), but going by typical automotive engineering it will require a new master cylinder and possibly/probably some new electronics (to keep the ABS intact). It'll probably also need a new parking brake assembly.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you are seriously interested, give a friend of mine a call. I was talking to him about this exact same thing about 3 weeks ago. I was asking him what the cools mods are for the Caliber, and he was telling me about changing out the drums on the back to discs. He is the parts manager at Henson Motors in Madisonville Texas. I can't remember the exact price, but it was reasonable and an easy swap from what he told me. Plus he has awesome pricing on any dodge parts.

He has an SXT with lots of mods on it, intake, exhaust etc....

Art Kendricks 800-530-5337 just ask for Art in Parts and tell him Mike Sent you.

later

Mike

·
Registered
377 Posts
TCE Performance is the only place to call for quality brake kits that are designed for the vehicle, not from the hype of Import Tuner magazine, "I gots 4-pot calipers!!1!"

Google TCE Performance and call up Todd, he did awesome kits for the Mazda6 and Neon.

·
Registered
101 Posts
couldnt you use the stuff off an R/T?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Brooksie1of1 said:
couldnt you use the stuff off an R/T?
Yes, that is why I gave you a person that has done it and is a parts manager and can get the exact parts. Replacement parts are not as expensive as you might think. It is worth checking into if you are truly interested.

On the SRT possibly fitting, I would not count on it being as easy. I checked into changing the Rotors and calipers on My 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 for the SRT-10 Viper Truck Rotors and Calipers, and it was not the same mounting, plus you had to replace the master cylinder even if you could fabricate the mounting you also had to have 20 inch wheels to have enough clearance inside the wheel, which was not a problem since I have 22's but it was not worth it for me. I went to Baer Decelarotors all the way around on my truck. I know my truck already had 4 wheel disc but just pointing out things to think about when looking at SRT parts. I believe on most Dodge models that have an SRT equivalent, you will find that drivetrain is just not the same between them.

Later

Mike

·
Registered
94 Posts
I hate to keep comparing this to my old PT Cruiser but, the PT Cruiser actually had a factory kit to convert the back brakes to disc. So I imagine they would have a kit for the Caliber since they are actually very much alike in a lot of ways. I would check with parts. If they have a kit all conversion instructions would come with the kit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts