Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen, (homemade or aftermarket) a guard for the top of the rear bumper. Got 2 dogs and I can just see them scratching the hell out of the top bumper as they get in.
A while back, I used to be able to find a self adhesive rubber pad with a diamond plate cut to them (used it for my bumper guards of my suv)..naturally, can't find them anymore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
allo,i m from Quebec,Canada.i just bought today a plastic protector at Walmart.It s for door sill,but i think it fit.You can cut it.Stepshield II for twenty box.

·
Registered
118 Posts
get some 3m rock guard adn cut it to git that area. it's clear and will take the beating from your dogs nails. blus you can wipe it off with your hand is it's dusty so you have somewhere to sit and you don't have to worry about sctratchin the paint or getting your pants dirty. Design flaw on dodges part.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
steveb said:
I don't know if it will fit but there is one avalible for the Compass. I saw it on one a the Jeep dealer.
That would be great if the Compass one fit. Dodge needs to offer one for the Caliber. I already have a couple scuffs on mine from loading and unloading stuff from the back, and have no clue how or when they got there.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thought of the 3M, it might be great protection for the hood and normal use, it didn't hold up for dogs. (tried it previously)

·
Registered
94 Posts
If the one on the compass does not fit, I was looking at the the one on the Toyota Matrix. The Matrix has a nice one if it is not to long.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I asked the guys on a vibe/matrix board for the measurements (was considering one along with the caliber) will post when I get the info.

info from Vibe > I measured mine - it's 2 1/2" x 39 1/2", and it is curved to match the bumper.
(sounds right)

FWIW, bought the forementioned sill protector at Walmart, its going back, the curve of our bumper makes for a difficult fit for anything premolded.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HSKR said:
That would be great if the Compass one fit.
Update: forget the compass, just checked on the wayhome, compass has a longer bumper width as well as a more squared off edge. (the compass protector has a lip that follows this edge)

Note #2, the Matrix protector also has lip, no fit.
Have yet to check to Vibe, although its 39 1/2, we'd have to trim to 38"

·
Registered
775 Posts
My neighbor took measurements of my bumper and is going to cut a piece of black rubber for the top of my bumper. The rubber he's getting is industrial floor matting and has a similar look to the rubber guard on the Durnago (black rubber with raised circles). We're going to cut it to fit and glue it down. When I get the rubber from him, and we finish the process of cutting and installing, I'll post some pictures.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Has anyone looked closely at the Chevy HHR for a bumper pad. I seen a picture of a bumper pad on the accessoriy page of there website yesterday, but I have not been able to find an HHR to look at closely.

I am also going to take a look at the pad available for the Mini Cooper, they have a little closer shape to our Cali than any other car I have noticed

Attachments

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Somebody HAS to make one. Found this picture surfing online.

The picture was to show the cargo carrier thing, but it also shows a bumper guard, but I can't find any place that advterises a bumper guard.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The rubber for stairs might work, I know there was always a good selection stateside (I always go nuts when I hit your depo/hardware stores)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had a 3m product applied to the rear deck of my Caliber. It is a clear 8mm thick and guaranteed for three years. A local guy works out of his home and it cost me $60 to get done. Works great to stop scratches from grocery bags and such. I found the guy through a neighbor who had his pickups rear fender edges done to protect them. It worked.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had a 3m product applied to the rear deck of my Caliber. It is a clear 8mm thick and guaranteed for three years. A local guy works out of his home and it cost me $60 to get done. Works great to stop scratches from grocery bags and such. I found the guy through a neighbor who had his pickups rear fender edges done to protect them. It worked.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I had someone suggest Masking off the area and applying rhino-lining. Might actually be a good idea although its perminent.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alot of the guys with 4x4's use rhino-lining as protection with good results, don't know if I'd go that far with a car.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
A small section just where the top of the bumper would take damage might not look too bad. Can even match it to your paint color although it will have a ton of texture.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts