Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Just got my Caliber last weekend and I am hatching my plans for it once I finish up with my Civic. I don't want to do anything extreme in the Caliber since the Honda is my project vehicle and the Caliber is the backup for when it is under construction.

I was wondering if anyone knows the maximum depth for speaker installation in the rear doors. I really do not want to use externally mounted subwoofers, but Tang-Band makes a 6x9" subwoofer that may fit. The thing is they are 4 3/16" deep so I am not sure if they will fit.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone has this information on hand and could share it with me.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Wish I knew for sure...but they sound awfully deep. In my opinion I dont think they will.....but taking out the old ones and measuring will answer your question for sure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EXcaliber said:
Wish I knew for sure...but they sound awfully deep. In my opinion I dont think they will.....but taking out the old ones and measuring will answer your question for sure.
I've got the Honda in my shop for another week or so doing a crank ventilation setup for the turbo... no room to work on the Caliber at the moment :) I was hoping to make my plans now, but I suppose I will have to wait and do some measuring!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Most 6x9's I looked up had a top mount depth of around 2-3/4" to 3-3/8" making the over 4" depth seem even harder to swallow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EXcaliber said:
Most 6x9's I looked up had a top mount depth of around 2-3/4" to 3-3/8" making the over 4" depth seem even harder to swallow.
Indeed... the Tang-Band is an extremely deep speaker. I suppose I may be hoping for too much that it will fit.

·
Registered
413 Posts
sundownz......I took out my rear 6x9 and I found out that there is around 4-3/8" depth to the glass. That would be the problem...you may not be able to roll down the window all the way. Those speakers would definately cut it real close. Take a look for yourself...getting to the rear speakers is easy. Just grab the grill and give it a quick tug, should come off real easy(I thought too easy as a matter of fact!). Then have T-20 and T-25 torx screwdrivers handy (for some reason they use 2 different sizes). take out the speaker and you'll see that the replacement speaker will have to meet a certain criteria or you will have to modify for speakers that dont fit exactly. Who knows?...........maybe it will fit. Let us know how you made out. Good Luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I will update when this project comes around :) I may just use a shallower 6x9" speaker like the Polk MMC690 if I have any doubts. I want this install to be nice and easy since I am doing my crazy stuff in the Honda.

Caliber install may look as follows:

1) Polk SR6500 Components up front
* I will make mounting adapters for the woofer, and mount the tweeter in the sail panel if I go this route. Both are very easy things to do.
2) Polk MMC690 6x9" in the back if the Tang-Bang won't fit
* If I can move the speaker forward without hitting the grille I could make a spacer out of 3/4" wood
3) Sundown Audio SAX-100.4 on the fronts (fully active)
4) Sundown Audio SAX-100.2 on the rears
5) Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 Processor

The Civic is getting multiple batteries... 2x 15" woofers... etc, etc.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sounds nice!.....post some pics when you are done.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The speakers you are using will fit.. my pioneers are just a hair deeper... I had to trim the plastic behind the speaker in the door... you'll see when you take the oem out. really really easy install... took me 15 min to install all 4 door speakers... easiest install ever!

·
Registered
413 Posts
boostdog said:
The speakers you are using will fit.. my pioneers are just a hair deeper... I had to trim the plastic behind the speaker in the door... you'll see when you take the oem out. really really easy install... took me 15 min to install all 4 door speakers... easiest install ever!
Those Pioneers have a top-mount depth of 3-5/8" a little bit more shallow than 4-3/16". Thats a difference of nearly a half inch, which in some cases can make or break an install.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I must have been smoking something when I wrote that... sorry to mislead you... ya that's a 1/2 in. prob. won't fit seeing as my pioneers were a very tight fit. the tweet. also comes very close to the factory grill. You would have to go with something custom, most likely, to get the to fit. also you will have to trim the plastic on the door panel behind the speaker to get anything with a large magnet to fit. takes about 10 sec. to do with a sharp razor blade.

·
Registered
413 Posts
boostdog said:
I must have been smoking something when I wrote that... sorry to mislead you... ya that's a 1/2 in. prob. won't fit seeing as my pioneers were a very tight fit. the tweet. also comes very close to the factory grill. You would have to go with something custom, most likely, to get the to fit. also you will have to trim the plastic on the door panel behind the speaker to get anything with a large magnet to fit. takes about 10 sec. to do with a sharp razor blade.
We all make mistakes boostdog.....LOL. You are right about the plastic shroud, I noticed that when I took a look the other day.....definately wont be hard to trim out, but I think its there to stop any possible water from getting onto the speakers.....hopefully not! I think that is why crutchfield says alot of their 6x9's wont fit.....larger magnets vs. depth of speaker. They will post that it wont fit if any modifications at all are necessary(cutting out that shroud).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts