Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions about the rear hatch.

1.) Does anyone know if it's possible to install in inside release for the hatch?
2.) Is there a switch to turn off the interior lights when the hatch is open? If not, how hard would it be to put one in?

I recently took an overnight trip, and being the tightwad that I am, I decided to sleep in the car rather than pay for a hotel. Partway through the night I felt the need to crack open the hatch for some air circulation. While laying in the back of the car, there is no way to open the hatch. Once I did have the hatch cracked open (used a shoe to keep it from closing all the way), the interior lights would not go out. It would have been nice to just reach up and open the hatch from the inside and have it cracked open without the lights on.

Any ideas?

BTW, if you're going to sleep in the back of your Caliber, make sure you have some padding. The hard plastic with the ridges can get uncomfortable, even with a thin rubber mat and a blanket under you.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Michael K. said:
I recently took an overnight trip, and being the tightwad that I am, I decided to sleep in the car rather than pay for a hotel.
LOL!:D:D:D I just could not stop laughing...because I can totally relate. (Try sleeping in a Neon!:D)

Seriously though, I cannot help with this one.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
On the steering column lever for the headlights, you can turn the dimmer control all the way off so the interior lights do not turn on. As for a handle on the inside, that would be a neat idea, but probably not a factory option because they didn't expect people to need one. The rear doors open and if you are laying in the back of your Caliber, you probably have the rear seats layed flat anyways.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Now if the Caliber had a trunk, there would be an inside hatch (trunk) release, I believe thats a law for trunks these days. I wonder if you could adapt an inside trunk release from another Dodge to work.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wish we had an interior handle (not those two little spaces) to help pull down and close the hatch. The hatch is kinda heavy. And I hate touching the exterior paint when closing the hatch.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Rolling down the window =Free
Sleeping in a hotel =$100
Installing a rear hatch release $200
Installing a switch to disable to hatch light $25
Finding someone sleeping in the back of a Caliber =Priceless

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mistermario said:
Rolling down the window =Free
Sleeping in a hotel =$100
Installing a rear hatch release $200
Installing a switch to disable to hatch light $25
Finding someone sleeping in the back of a Caliber =Priceless
LOL. Well, I am an Alaskan *******. I've used the backs of many cars as my own hotel rooms (boy, that could be taken more than one way). When I was 18, I Lived in my Chevette for about a month.

·
Registered
277 Posts
when i went to one dealer, the salesman told me that a guy asked to lay down in one because when him and his wife went on roadtrips, he wanted to sleep. Even the salesman said he looked uncomfortable!!! NO JOKE!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Damm, are you serious. You slept in the cali?:eek: I never would of thought of that one. I will stick to the hotel.:D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Working night shift with nothing to do, I've brought my pillow and laid all the seats down and slept for a few. Wasn't like my rack, but it did the job. It is a PIA to get out though, hehe.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
the lights will go off after about 15 min by themselves...i found this out when installing my stereo in the middle of the night...they kept going off. it's security feature to keep your battery from going dead...just be patient and it will go off.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
boostdog said:
just be patient and it will go off.
I guess I just wasn't patient enough. I was concerned about the battery, making myself an illuminated target for any passersby, and getting the area dark so I could get back to sleep.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i read somewhere in the manuel that there is a inside latch in the hatch.....i could be worng...ill go take a look and see if i am right....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tent fan

Personally, I don't care to have the hatch open as I just enter thru the doors at the back seats. I like to be able to lock the car up, have a window cracked (with screen attached if buggie) & just use a tent fan like this one (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Tent-Fan/23787589). The fan is also great when it's raining & you can't have the window cracked open. The D size battery will last for 2 nights sleep. The fan attaches magnetically, so I 'hang' it from a shoulder seat belt strap. It circulates the air to the point you don't have to worry about condensation & you can move the fan to where you need it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts