Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get one of these? I stopped by my dealer today & they said it was still unavailable.:confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's available at your Dodge dealer, they may just have to order it. It is in the catalog. I ordered one and got it the next day. They are $125 OUCH. But here in Florida it saves alot of A/C space, and cools the car faster.

·
Registered
775 Posts
poison7fl said:
But here in Florida it saves alot of A/C space, and cools the car faster.
I'm trying to figure that one out logically, and it doesn't quite add up.

Unless you have a solid (vs. thin and flexible) cover that is insulated and seals around the edges, the A/C will still cool the hot air in the cargo area. Since the soft cover has gaps around the edges, as the cabin temperature drops, the warm air in the cargo area will rise around the edges into the cabin (hot air rises) and the cooler air will settle into the cargo area.

This does not even account for heat transfer as the hot air in the cargo area warms the tonneau cover from beneath and the A/C has to cool the air radiating up from the cover.

Also when you factor in that the cargo area is a very small area in regards to the overall cabin size, any decrease in time to cool the cabin with the cover closed is purely in the imagination of the driver. If anything, the tonneau cover will cause the car to cool down slower as the hot air rising from the cargo area is restricted and instead of rising/being cooled all at once, the warm air continues to "seep" into the cabin area for a longer period of time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts