Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone else hear about the Chrysler recall for the anti-lock brake system? It affects Calibers as well as many other Crysler products. Apparently there will be a recall mailout sometime in February...:confused:

Update...

"The Chrysler Group is recalling about 62,400 2007 Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep vehicles in which the braking system may fail to work.

The recall includes 62,369 model year 2007 Chrysler Sebring, Chrysler 300, Jeep Commander, Jeep Compass, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Liberty, Jeep Wrangler, Dodge Nitro, Dodge Magnum, Dodge Charger and Dodge Caliber vehicles to re-program a brake system Electronic Control Unit computer.

In affected vehicles, instrument panel warning lamps may illuminate and be followed by loss of Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD), anti-lock brake system, traction control and speedometer functions. The problem could result in a loss of control. No accidents or injuries have been reported. Owners will be notified in February 2007. In the interim, customers who experience warning lamp illumination should take their vehicle to a certified dealer for inspection."

·
Registered
687 Posts
One recall so far... not bad if you compare to the Neon's first year. Plus, the recall is not just for the Caliber or even just the vehicles at the BAP Belvidere Assy Plant. The recall covers many others in DCX corp due to such sharing of like parts across vehicles to keep cost down.

Yes, information about the recall was posted here over 22 hours ago.

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1078&page=10

·
Registered
687 Posts
Oh speaking of the Neon I thought I'd throw in a plant picture from the past. If anyone questions why the Neon looks like the American flag, it was done as a tribute to 911 right after the attacks on the World Trade Center.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah, I just saw an article in my local paper this morning. I am confused, if there is a problem then why wait a couple of months to send out notices?

·
Registered
687 Posts
My guess is that if they send the letters out now the dealers would have to be ready to do the fix and I don't think they are yet. Things move slower in big corps. :D

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
bg77 said:
Yeah, I just saw an article in my local paper this morning. I am confused, if there is a problem then why wait a couple of months to send out notices?
Its all got to do with the response time and legality issues pertaing to both the Corporate (DCX) and the End User (You):D

You (if affected by VIN matches) will get a notice in the mail...

·
Registered
976 Posts
I may be totally off base here but reading the AP wire as it is worded
ESP and electronic brake distribution are only availiable on REARWHEEL
and AWD drive models,so a guess would be that only Caliber RT AWDs
will be in the recall.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Good point, it's not very clear. They mentioned ABS which includes ESP and TCS of course because they both use the ABS system but they don't say the problem is limited to ESP.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
That's what I'm wondering as well.

There have been several reports from Caliber owners of the brake indicator light mysteriously coming on for no known/determined reason (I am one of them) - and it hasn't been limited to just those models.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Make : DODGE
Model : CALIBER
Year : 2007

Manufacturer : DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06V493000
Recall Date : DEC 22, 2006

Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK:CONTROL UNIT/MODULE

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 62369

Summary:
ON CERTAIN VEHICLES, THE ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) CONTROL MODULE SOFTWARE MAY CAUSE THE REAR BRAKES TO LOCK UP DURING CERTAIN BRAKING CONDITIONS.

Consequence:
THIS COULD RESULT IN A LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL AND CAUSE A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPROGRAM THE ABS ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING FEBRUARY 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Notes:
DAIMLERCHRYSLER RECALL NO. F50. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

·
Registered
687 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts