Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
everytime i go past the clickon my pedal the thing redlines, am i alone on this? also it seems like lately whenever i let my foot off the gas no matter the speed im going its like it almost starts to want to jerk back and slow down. also when i took my test drive i could step on the gas and it would just go through the gears and i never felt a thing, now its like it dont want to shift at all , i have to let my foot off the gas for it to shift, what the hell? im hating this car more and more everyday it dissappoints me .

·
Registered
68 Posts
j85 said:
everytime i go past the clickon my pedal the thing redlines, am i alone on this? also it seems like lately whenever i let my foot off the gas no matter the speed im going its like it almost starts to want to jerk back and slow down. also when i took my test drive i could step on the gas and it would just go through the gears and i never felt a thing, now its like it dont want to shift at all , i have to let my foot off the gas for it to shift, what the hell? im hating this car more and more everyday it dissappoints me .
I don't know about the rest but if you go past the click which is basically flooring it then Redlining is normal. It's supposed to do that as it thinks you want maximum power.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Of course the car is going to slow down when you take your foot off the pedal..... That is quite normal.
Maybe this isn't quite what meant....?

You're talking about gears -- do you have an R/T? (I don't recall)
Because without AutoStick, you will not feel gears change, because there aren't any.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Bulldogger said:
Sounds like something is not right with your CVT maybe. Have your dealer take a look. The redlining is normal though & that's what they will tell you. My Caliber get's a bit jerky when I get on it around a corner. It's the trans, still gettin' used to it, as I'm sure many are. ;)
Correct. There is a last throttle detent that will increase the engine revs to redline, completely normal.

There is a thread around here regarding the "engine braking" once letting off the throttle, I would say it is normal too, but if you are uncertain and skeptical I would bring it in for service.

·
Registered
143 Posts
yep 100% normal. When you depress past the "click" the cali will gear down slightly and shoot to 6k rpm and stay there till you let off past the "click" again. It has been well noted that when you let off the gas the car seems to engine break for you and that is a feature that I personally love as it saves the brakes in rush hour traffic. Maybe when you were testing the car you were so enthralled by the notion of a new car that these little things slipped you by. Truly sorry you are hating the car, but I love mine still despite my various dealer problems, and others do to.. it's no ferrari but she can still haul decent ass if you drive her right :) .

Edit: the jerking you prob are referring to is after braking but not stopping when you hit the gas again you get a slight jerk as the cvt searches back for the proper gear ratio. I find this totally normal as my 98 dodge ram that was also an automatic did the same thing.. it's something I've been used to for a long time and it doesn't really bother me in the least.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
j85 said:
Ok, I did some research, you have an R/T.

If you were NOT in Autostick mode you will NOT feel any shifting, hence CVT. But if you were in Autostick mode and did not feel any shifting, then you have problems. If you don't shift the Autostick yourself it will automatically go to redline before each shift, and you should feel a simulted gear (shift shock).

When you are experiencing all of this, are you in Autostick mode or regular CVT?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
j85 said:
LOL! Is this for reals?

Man, when you stomp and hold you foot on the gas peddle of any car it's going to redline... take your foot off the gas peddle and it's going to slow down. That's what cars do. How many cars have you owned and driven?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Obviously when you release the gas, you'll slow down, but he's saying it jerks back and slows down. In every automatic i've been in, you let go of the gas, you'll kinda smoothly coast at that speed for a bit and slowly deccelerate. But if you were say in "L" gear, its like engine braking and you can feel the car drag and jerk back, if you were going at like 40 mph or more and dropped into "L", it feels like you dropped an anchor out the back window and are dragging it along, slowing down your car. Maybe this is what he means? Like letting go of the gas in "D", he feels like it dropped into "L"? I dunno, haven't got my caliber yet, still waiting on it.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Ninbri64 said:
Obviously when you release the gas, you'll slow down, but he's saying it jerks back and slows down. In every automatic i've been in, you let go of the gas, you'll kinda smoothly coast at that speed for a bit and slowly deccelerate. But if you were say in "L" gear, its like engine braking and you can feel the car drag and jerk back, if you were going at like 40 mph or more and dropped into "L", it feels like you dropped an anchor out the back window and are dragging it along, slowing down your car. Maybe this is what he means? Like letting go of the gas in "D", he feels like it dropped into "L"? I dunno, haven't got my caliber yet, still waiting on it.
If that's the case then he should take it to the dealer soon. I know my Caliber will coast rather nice like... no engine brake or CVT shifting sensation at all. It slows down just like a traditional automatic does. However it does not accelerate like a traditional automatic... it does it much better. The CVT owns the traditional automatic. I just hope it's as or more reliable and durable (and if not there will be a horrendous backlash of CVT haters and it will be a failure).

About the only thing I'd change on acceleration is to have the CVT ratio start out much lower (but don't know how they'd do that and have the car coast to a nice smooth stop), but I'm still good with it as is. Wish it had the auto-stick like the R/T and the Euro-spec Caliber.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes it is an r/t. and i know that with the cvt i shouldnt feel any gear shifting, which is what i didnt feel when i test drove it. now it will just keep increasing in rpms and it wont go back down until i let off the gas and start accelerating again. and im not so stupid that i dont know a car will slow down when letting off the gas. and i have owned a half dozen other cars and i cant ever remember any of them redlining for a few seconds after acclerating. and what ninibri said is pretty much whats happening, i let off the gas and it feels like it wants to slow itself down like i have thrown out an anchor. maybe i should find another forum where not everyone tries to talk down to you and act like your a dumbass.

·
Registered
614 Posts
j85 said:
yes it is an r/t. and i know that with the cvt i shouldnt feel any gear shifting, which is what i didnt feel when i test drove it. now it will just keep increasing in rpms and it wont go back down until i let off the gas and start accelerating again. and im not so stupid that i dont know a car will slow down when letting off the gas. and i have owned a half dozen other cars and i cant ever remember any of them redlining for a few seconds after acclerating. and what ninibri said is pretty much whats happening, i let off the gas and it feels like it wants to slow itself down like i have thrown out an anchor. maybe i should find another forum where not everyone tries to talk down to you and act like your a dumbass.
I didn't interpret any of the responses to you as "talking down" or derogatory. Info details provide others with enough to properly respond to your questions. You did not initially provide the fact you have an R/T with Autostick. This is totally relevant. After reading your responses and the attempts of others to help you out, I'd say you were very fairly treated. Chill.

Others have commented on the known characteristics of the CVT transmission, including the throttle pedal detente that once exceeded, provides maximum engine power via redline RPM's. You could have found that by searching this forum for other postings that confirm this feature. There is plenty of previous content here that would have answered most of your inquiries. Take the time to look.

The "anchor" effect you mention would be very normal if you were in autostick mode as previously mentioned by DodgeKathyGirl. IE manual shift mode. If you have any experience driving a manual transmission, you should know that this behaviour occurs if the engine is brought to high rpms without shifting up to the next gear and then letting off the gas. This is engine braking.

If you are not in autostick mode and the gear indicator in the dash display shows only "D" rather than "D" followed by a number (1-6) and the behaviour you describe persists, you need to see your service provider. If you are in autostick mode, please read your manual to understand its operation.

·
Registered
68 Posts
j85 said:
Yes but they probably weren't CVT. It's impossible for a normal auto to redline instantly. The reason it redlines is to produce maximum power and then it adjusts the gear ratio dynamically to bring the car up to speed optimally and as quick as possible.

You know how it feels sometimes when a normal auto car is in the wrong gear, it won't speed up until you get it to kick down the gear.

You need to get the engine to spin up to it's optimal power to accelerate and that's what it is doing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
While we are talking about the CVT... This is what I experience with mine. Under "normal" acceleration, I will get what feels like a shift about 20mph.. minor not like a regular auto, but a distinct drop in RPM.. from then on no shifts are felt. Under more agressive acceleration (rpm about 3000, I will get a that same minor "shift" or drop in rpm when the speed catches up with the rpm.. again, not a full-on automatic shift, but a distinct drop in rpm without any "movement" from my foot.. Under full blown acceleration (past the detent), I get redline until I decide to back out of it (never taken it all the way to let the speed catch up).

Deceleration: When I let off the accelerator, slow down from speed (50-60) feels like normal drag, until I reach about 25mph, at that point, it goes into more of a "free-wheeling" (like the torque converter released) feeling..

All in all, I am still getting used to this tranny after driving various types of automatics for the past 30-40 years.. maybe in a few more month and miles of driving (only got 1800 miles on it now), I won't notice anything different...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Nissan just announcedthat the new Maxima for 07 will only be available with the CVT transmission.This transmission which has been on the Murano for the last few years is made by a Nissan, is the same one the Caliber has. As anyone on this Forum who has the CVT, it takes some getting used to. I have over 7000 kms on mine and still finding new surprises every time I step on the gas,

·
Registered
203 Posts
Doing my research before I bought my Caliber, I read that the engineers programed similatued shift points into the computer because they knew most Americans would complain about the shifting of the CVT. As are people on here. Now these programed in simulated shifts only occur under normal to light acceleration. Full throttle, even right before the detent on mine produces smooth acceleration with no "shifts" Also, the Max hp and torque numbers on the 2.0 motor occur past the indicated redline on the tach. At least according to the numbers on Dodge's website. The motor hitting the indicated redline on the tach will not hurt the motor at all.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
xlimodriver said:
Nissan just announcedthat the new Maxima for 07 will only be available with the CVT transmission.This transmission which has been on the Murano for the last few years is made by a Nissan, is the same one the Caliber has. As anyone on this Forum who has the CVT, it takes some getting used to. I have over 7000 kms on mine and still finding new surprises every time I step on the gas,
I saw a commercial on that the other night as well and wondered if it was the one they put in the Caliber, being, I believe it is made by JATCO. I haven't been on their site in a while. I am also pretty confident that it will be a great CVT for the Caliber too.

froglove said:
Doing my research before I bought my Caliber, I read that the engineers programed similatued shift points into the computer because they knew most Americans would complain about the shifting of the CVT. As are people on here. Now these programed in simulated shifts only occur under normal to light acceleration. Full throttle, even right before the detent on mine produces smooth acceleration with no "shifts" Also, the Max hp and torque numbers on the 2.0 motor occur past the indicated redline on the tach. At least according to the numbers on Dodge's website. The motor hitting the indicated redline on the tach will not hurt the motor at all.
Not too sure this applies to the Caliber, but I read something to that affect about CVT's too. I am sure any blip (slight auto tranny shift) is because the torque converter is engaging and disengaging.

·
Registered
61 Posts
j85 said:
has any one already told him that the car will not shift. and that it has no gears?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts