Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my second Caliber in a month today. My wife hijacked the first one and wouldn't give it back.

The newest one came with a REF radio. In a couple of days that radio will be pulled and replaced with a 6-CD changer model (for the interactive display - I'll probably never put a CD in it!). The REF radio, for those of you who don't know, is the most basic radio with the AUX audio input on its face for iPod or any other audio source. It will play a single CD and has the usual AM and FM bands. It'll also interact with Sirius satellite if you have it (Sirius is not a part of this radio) and it will interact with U-Connect (also not a part of this radio). It just doesn't have as informative a display as the higher radios, but then the higher radios don't have AUX audio input. Anyway, I'll have that new REF radio laying about in a couple of days if anyone is interested in it. don at newsvideo dot com.

·
Registered
258 Posts
welcome to the 2 caliber owners club!

how much did you pay for the 6cd model???
too bad they don't have the aux input in the front...i use my ipod quite often, and will only use a direct connect method.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I just sold my 6 CD RAQ for $170 (Replaced with REC Nav). Thats about typical for what they're going for on Ebay.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't think to look on eBay for a RAQ radio. The dealership is selling me the new one for $535 and doing the labor of the switch for free. Rats. Huff, if you sold your RAQ for $170, then I can expect pennies, if anything, for the REF I'll have extra after 9am this morning.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thinking further.... If I decline the RAQ radio and instead put in an RAK, that would give the cassette and thus I could use a cassette adaptor as my AUX audio input. Does anyone know if the RAK radio (the 6-CD w/cassette) has the same nice display of the RAQ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
donsmith said:
Thinking further.... If I decline the RAQ radio and instead put in an RAK, that would give the cassette and thus I could use a cassette adaptor as my AUX audio input. Does anyone know if the RAK radio (the 6-CD w/cassette) has the same nice display of the RAQ?
Yes the 6-Disc/Casette radio does have the same dot-matrix display.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made the switch in time. I cancelled the dealer's radio and bought the RAK radio (6 CD w/cassette) on eBay for $199.99. Save me $335! Now I could go back and get the dealer to fulfill his promise for the free labor to switch the radios, but if I can figure how to get the gear shift knob off of the CVT, I'd like to do it myself and get the education.

·
Registered
181 Posts
donsmith said:
I made the switch in time. I cancelled the dealer's radio and bought the RAK radio (6 CD w/cassette) on eBay for $199.99. Save me $335! Now I could go back and get the dealer to fulfill his promise for the free labor to switch the radios, but if I can figure how to get the gear shift knob off of the CVT, I'd like to do it myself and get the education.
Congrats! I am seeing all of you people with 2 calibers and think maybe I have been missing something. This whole husband thing might not be such a bad idea. :eek: But seriously. I'm glad you are enjoying. Mia

·
Registered
683 Posts
The gear shift knob is easy to remove. Use a thin piece of plastic to seperate the upper and lower parts. The bottom 1/3 or so unsnaps from the top part. Once the lower part is unsnapped simply pull straight up on the knob and it will come off.

Next you need to remove the shifter bezel. I used a plastic thin spatula to wedge along the right side. Near each corner is a snap. Wedge the spatula inbetween the bezel and the bezel surround to release one at a time.

Once the shifter bezel is off you need to remove the radio bezel. Again, use the spatula along the sides to release the snaps. Start at the bottom right of the bezel and pull hard. Make sure you pull evenly so as not to over bend the bezel. Once a few snaps are released it gets easier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts