Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody post pictures of your rims? I want to know how different the steel rims and aluminum rims look. (I'm talking about the factory rims)

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
I would search the Picture/ Media Post section, many of the steel ones have hubcaps covering them, it is pretty clear which ones are Aluminum and Steel.

Let me see if I can get some pictures for ya.

Edit::

Bulldogger's car shows the aluminum stock rims
http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808
Satellitedrive's car also show the aluminum stock rims
http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1512

Mikeinwoodstock
's car shows the steel rims with hubcaps
http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1350

Aluminum is 17" SXT/ SXT Sport 18" is R/T
Steel is 15"

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Xtreme Thunder said:
it is pretty clear which ones are Aluminum and Steel.
Not to me (where's that embarassed smilie?). That's why I asked the question.

I looked through some of the pictures but couldn't tell which is aluminum and which is steel with hubcaps. I figured someone here can post a picture and tell me outright which one it is. I was also hoping to see what the steel rims look like without hubcaps.

I realize this is just a minor thing, but at $400, the aluminum wheel option isn't cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Sleazy said:
Not to me (where's that embarassed smilie?). That's why I asked the question.

I looked through some of the pictures but couldn't tell which is aluminum and which is steel with hubcaps. I figured someone here can post a picture and tell me outright which one it is. I was also hoping to see what the steel rims look like without hubcaps.

I realize this is just a minor thing, but at $400, the aluminum wheel option isn't cheap.

I understand, everyone has to start knowledge somewhere, and no better place then here!:) The first two links are aluminum and the last one is steel, which I am sure you figured out now from my previous post. I prefer aluminum ones, but if you like the rims you just have to extra careful with curbs, as they will scrape and scratch. Aluminum is lighter, by how much, I am not sure. With steel and hubcaps, you just replace the hubcap when it looks ugly!

Hope it is all clear now!

·
Registered
911 Posts
The first one is the 18" R/T Aluminum Wheel

The second one is the 17" SXT Aluminum Wheel

The third one is the 17" SXT Steel Wheel with Wheel Cover

I'll see if I can find an SE 15" Wheel with Wheel Cover in a second.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
$400 is only equal to like $5 per month in the payment.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The steel rims aren't that bad. One of the better looking hubcaps on the market. I still want to replace them one of these days (it was the only option that wasn't on the car I wanted), but I'm not in much of a hurry

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone. I guess the steel wheel with hubcap looks pretty much the same as the aluminum ones. Aluminum looks nice, but my concern was that aluminum will crack if you hit a massive pothole/crater.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I doubt the aluminum will crack. You only worry about that if you have no sidewall on your tires. I've had aluminum wheels on my last 2 vehicles and have never had any problems with them. They don't really look at the same at all. I guess you have to see them in person. The wheel covers aren't too bad actually, but the aluminum wheels look sooooooo much better IMO. If you hit a massive pothole or crater enough to crack an aluminum rim, then you'll most likely at least bend a steel wheel as well. IMO, its well worth the extra $400 and like CaliberChic said, thats not much more per month on your car payment either.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
orangecalibersxt said:
If you hit a massive pothole or crater enough to crack an aluminum rim, then you'll most likely at least bend a steel wheel as well.
You can take a hammer to a bent steel wheel, instead of having to buy a new one.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you hit a pothole big enough to crack a wheel, I doubt you will be worried about paying for a new rim. Either the government agency in charge of repairing that road would be, or your car will be more screwed up and insurance will be handling it.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Sleazy said:
You can take a hammer to a bent steel wheel, instead of having to buy a new one.
Maybe you can, but I guarantee you that rim will never be right again. I wouldn't trust it....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts