Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all !
Was wondering if anyone has bought dodge's remote start. I did a search and didn't find much from anyone who had it. It looked like it was $300 for both parts from mopar but also saw it somewhere else for less.
I would really like to know if it is a hard install or not. If it is just a few spliced wires like it says I don't see it being very hard but it would be nice to hear it from someone who has installed it. I've done plenty of car stereo installs but never a remote start. If there is a link with a how-to or the instruction manual that would be even better so I can see for myself.
Also, if you had the dealer install it, how much did they charge you and how long did it take them to do it.

Thanks,
Brandon

·
Registered
182 Posts
DRAGIN said:
Hi all !
Was wondering if anyone has bought dodge's remote start. I did a search and didn't find much from anyone who had it. It looked like it was $300 for both parts from mopar but also saw it somewhere else for less.
I would really like to know if it is a hard install or not. If it is just a few spliced wires like it says I don't see it being very hard but it would be nice to hear it from someone who has installed it. I've done plenty of car stereo installs but never a remote start. If there is a link with a how-to or the instruction manual that would be even better so I can see for myself.
Also, if you had the dealer install it, how much did they charge you and how long did it take them to do it.

Thanks,
Brandon
Yo,
I am getting mine installed next week. I will let you know how it turns out. Yes...it is the Mopar one. I will be paying $317.00 cdn (parts) and $110.00cdn for installation. This includes 2 main components...the starter and bypass module for the sentry system.
UMF

·
Registered
901 Posts
umf said:
Yo,
I am getting mine installed next week. I will let you know how it turns out. Yes...it is the Mopar one. I will be paying $317.00 cdn (parts) and $110.00cdn for installation. This includes 2 main components...the starter and bypass module for the sentry system.
UMF
I just wanted point ^^that^^ out as a reminder that are are incompatibility issues between the Sentry Key Immobilizer System and 3rd-party remote starters. The Mopar remote start is designed to work with it. Talk to you service advisor or parts dept for additional info.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Any reputable Car electronics dealer will be able to install a remote starter for any vehicle. Mopar just wants you to purchase from them at a RIPOFF price. Get a Viper Remote Start installed for roughly $300 including door lock interface, it has an incredible range !!

·
Registered
901 Posts
diverrk said:
Any reputable Car electronics dealer will be able to install a remote starter for any vehicle. Mopar just wants you to purchase from them at a RIPOFF price. Get a Viper Remote Start installed for roughly $300 including door lock interface, it has an incredible range !!
...as long as it can work with the Sentry Key transponder and receiver.... not saying that it can't... the reminder was to "be aware" and ask, to make sure the 3rd-party system will not interfere, because some are incompatible.

·
Registered
68 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
...as long as it can work with the Sentry Key transponder and receiver.... not saying that it can't... the reminder was to "be aware" and ask, to make sure the 3rd-party system will not interfere, because some are incompatible.
The mopar one works with the Sentry Key transponder, it does NOT disable it in anyway.

Most aftermarket systems will use a bypass, basically they will get you to program a blank sentry key and stick it near the receiver so it will "validate" the remote start. Others may have a lockbox with the sentry key inside and feed an antenna wire to the sentry key reciever. The first method will basically make starting with any non programmed key possible. The second one is a bit more secure.

While they work, you can see it can create a security hole in the system, defeating the purpose of sentry key. The official Mopar one ensures the highest security.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey just wanted to throw out another point that if you have the 5-speed Caliber the Mopar system will not work with your car.

As was explained to me the system requires 3 channels/lines to work with the manual tranny and the Mopar system only has 2 channels/lines.(something to do with the neutral switch for the stick.)

However the dealership said that there was no system for the 5-speed in the works. They suggested that I look for an aftermarket but with the "impending doom" speach about voiding the warranty I gave it up as a bad idea.

·
Registered
683 Posts
With a manual transmission the only way for it to work would be if the vehicle was parked in nuetral. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. The car is kept from rolling only by the e-brake.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My wife has it. We got it installed and everything for FREE!!! From the dealer! She said it works great. We live in a townhouse community and she said when she is parked in a visitor spot which is about 50-75ft away and inside the house it will still start.

·
Registered
182 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
I just wanted point ^^that^^ out as a reminder that are are incompatibility issues between the Sentry Key Immobilizer System and 3rd-party remote starters. The Mopar remote start is designed to work with it. Talk to you service advisor or parts dept for additional info.
That is right DodgeGirlKathy. And as i stated, that is why i am getting the Mopar one. My installer at Dodge told me that you can use a 3'rd party system IF you use the second mopar bypass module in conjunction with it, a seperate piece all together from the Mopar remote starter module. This bypass module comes standard with the Mopar wiring package for the remote starter seperately. But, so far....all is Mopar on my car....so why change now?!! I would rather rest easy at night knowing that the mods to my car were designed for it instead of cheaper knockoffs....that as DodgeGirlKathy stated....may not work in the end or have many future headaches. You always use the correct tools for the job, not something that "could" work. Pliers work on a hex nut....but a wrench is designed for it!

·
Registered
182 Posts
tkyoshi said:
The mopar one works with the Sentry Key transponder, it does NOT disable it in anyway.

Most aftermarket systems will use a bypass, basically they will get you to program a blank sentry key and stick it near the receiver so it will "validate" the remote start. Others may have a lockbox with the sentry key inside and feed an antenna wire to the sentry key reciever. The first method will basically make starting with any non programmed key possible. The second one is a bit more secure.

While they work, you can see it can create a security hole in the system, defeating the purpose of sentry key. The official Mopar one ensures the highest security.
The Mopar one has a momentary disabler bypass module with the wiring kit. So....it is a disabler and is a seperate unit from the remote brain. It is momentary and after running and the computer checks are complete...it goes back into native mode.
Cheers

·
Registered
182 Posts
dforsyth said:
400+ dollars CDN is a LOT of money for a remote start....
You get what you pay for in most cases. In this case....i did not pay thousands of dollars on a car to have a "hacked" product on my car. I would much rather have what was designed for it. Am i paying too much?? To you...maybe so...to me...nope!
Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Obviously you don't know much about car electronics to make a comment about having a "hacked Product" installed in your car. There are quite a few manufacturers out there that have reputable prodcuctas that are fully compatible with all Dodge models including the Caliber. Directed electronics for one, which manufactures the Viper brand as well as Avital. These products cost approx $249 - $329 installed with fully intergrated door locks, and security module which does not disable the function of the security chip. I for one would not consider this a "Hacked product" Remember, MOPAR wants to make money, of course there sales pitch would be to use "Scare Tactics" to make the consumer believe that only MOPAR products are compatible.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I stopped by several stores last weekend. Every single one of the remote start and alarm packages required a programmed sentry key placed nearby that effectively disabled the cars sentry security. Possibly there are aftermarket systems that don't work this way but the stores here don't have them. I'd rather stick with the Mopar system that only momentarily disables the system. If no key is inserted and the car is put into drive the engine will quit after 30 seconds. Can the aftermarket systems do this?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have not heard of any aftermarket alarms with remote start that can bypass the sentry key any other way than putting one in the dash and pretty much disabling it completely. I think DCX keeps a pretty tight lock down on it's programing to avoid hackers.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have the Sentry Security in my mini-van (don't laugh...she is being sold since I have my Caliber lol) When I had my remote start put in I had to surrender one of my keys to put in the system to bypass/disable the system like you are all talking about.

I tried it agian just to double check since I didn't want to misinform and it worked, or didn't in this case. :)

I had a spare key cut that has no chip whatsoever in it. I just wanted a key to unlock the doors just incase. It is the standard metal key. It will unlock my doors and hatch but it still will NOT start the car. Even with the other key being right there it wouldn't do it. I then used the remote start to start it and tried the key. Normally if no key is inserted when you hit the brake to put it in gear the engine will die. Even with this key in the ignition it still disabled thus telling me that the Sentry System is most definatly working. Evidently it just needs the key to momentarily bypass the system. I feel pretty safe now. I think the "threats" are just that. They want us to buy there products...why shouldn't they :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
That is right, you do need a key in the module. Not just any key...but a properly coded/programmed sentry key. This is what is used to trick the sentry system when bypassed to think "everything is ok" to the computer. Some aftermarket remote starters come with a module (sentry bypass) that plugs into the brain. I have talked to 3 different Dodge dealers. Any aftermarket remote starter voids the muanufacturers warranty. It does not matter if you get viper remote or astro starts C.E.O. to install it themselves! Simply no Mopar starter....no warranty. I know ...i know...Mopar's remote is technically an aftermarket one made by code alarm....regardless....it keeps my vehicle under warranty! Simple as that! I have read too many reports of computer lockups on cars etc. on the internet to take this chance myself. Maybe if the warranty was over on my car. But i am not willing to go that route right now.
Cheers!

·
Registered
683 Posts
The warranty issue is the same for anything aftermarket added to you car.. It does not void the warranty on the entire vehicle. Only issues related to the installed item.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Huff said:
The warranty issue is the same for anything aftermarket added to you car.. It does not void the warranty on the entire vehicle. Only issues related to the installed item.
The problem there being that any "Starting" related problem can easily be blamed on the remote starter. I know the "burden of proof" is up to the Dealer, but most people are not that knowledgable about vehicle warranties and will accept whatever the dealer tells them as "correct".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts