Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to install aftermarket remote starter on a Caliber? I do not want to spend over $400 for the dealer to install a mopar remote starter on my Caliber.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have called both stores and it is almost the same price. I want to install it myself but I do not have wire codes for the Caliber. I have successfully installed it on 5 different cars as long as I have a wire code for the car. Does any one have the wire codes for the caliber?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Amandyke said:
I think Dan said something about the remote starter's not working?
And someone in the forum (sorry forget who)said they saw an engine apart at a dealers, the dealer said it was to "install a remote start".....:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the inputs.
FYI I am aware of the transponder bypass for remote starters. I have installed remote starter on my 2004 Nissan Pathfinder and a 2005 Chevy Cobalt that had required a bypass module for the remote starter to work. Instead of paying $80 for a coded key plus another $60 for programming the transponders at the dealer, some Home Depot has a key vendor that can cut the key and reprogram all the transponders to work with most cars that has Key Immobilizer System for around $65 and they guarantee it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would check out the factory remote start all the wiring harnesses from dcx are plug in conectors there are very easy to install there are only about five wires you have to splice in and it also comes with a transponder to bypass the coded key and it only dose this when you use the remote start so all your security features keep working the way dcx designed

·
Registered
171 Posts
My wife has the remote start/alarm it doesnt interfer with the stock remote keyless entry its just that you need a seperate remote for the remote start. So she has the big key and then a seperate remote that she has the remote start and the alarm. Dealer said if it was just the alarm they could configure the key unit to activate the alarm but since it has remote start she need the extra remote.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The real reason they do that is because it would cost people another $350-$400 to have the fobs integrated into one. You need two new keys at $150 a pop and then add the time to cut them and program them to work with your car. My lil bro just had remote start intalled in his grand prix and after he got the bill he was just PO'd about it. They were pretty tricky about it though. They quoted him $350 installed but then after they started, they asked him if he wanted the new keys which he of course said yes thinking "hello, that is why I'm having it done through the dealer" and when he went to pick it up another $300 was tacked on. Now I know our keys are more expensive than just his new key fob so I'd say it would be another $400+ and DCX doesn't think people will pay $650-$700 for remote start. They are wrong but then again that's never happened before. I know that if it was a factory installed option, more people would get it. Especially up here in MN where it gets cold as a witch's tit. Brrrrrrrrr.:eek: Talking about that, Anyone in the northern regions have a block heater installed from the factory. Mine doesn't. Them bean counters have DCX so hypnotized into always having to save a buck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That is crazy! An option to have a factory installed starter should be an option. MANY car manufacturers have this option and Many people use it. This only makes aftermarket "mod chips" and such created and people installing systems themselves that really do not know what they are doing and then......Dodge.....my car won't run proper. See where i'm going! This may backfire in the end like the class II data bus radio swap out hacks that interfere sometimes with GMC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts