Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I got a question, I'm currently changing my timing phasers and chain and I'm having trouble removing my bolt, on my harmonic balancer. The first question is what direction does the bolt turn to loosen? I called a dealership and they were no help lol. Here is what I have tried. I tried a battery and electric impacts and they weren't strong enough to break it loose. I hooked a ratchet strap to the front bumper to try to hold the pulley from spinning and it had to much give. I tried putting a crewel bar on it and wedge it and it kept slipping off. I'm sketched about trying the starter trick. Can anyone tell me what direction the bolt is supposed to spin, and maybe a trick to get it off?

Thanks,
Beav

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can help you with the bolt. You need a strap wrench (Husky 8 in. Strap Wrench-H8STRAPWR - The Home Depot) this is the exact one that I've used my on Caliber R/T. You can also get a tool (mopar 9707) but it's like over $100, and the strap wrench should work just find. You can do the same to torque the bolt down when you're done to 155 ft/lbs. The bolt loosens normally, to the left. If you can get a helper to holder the strap wrench tightly or in my case I used a pulley to hold the strap wrench handle while I used a breaker bar, or something you can fit on your ratchet to help give you leverage to break it free. Dealerships are usually no help, I only get parts from them if there;s no other option. Hopefully that helps, left me know if you need any more information.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is absolutely helpful! I couldn't find it anywhere. You're a lifesaver IrKorn18, this will probably help so many people. So I have a follow-up question if you can help me, I'm trying to find the location of the VVT Solenoid actuators, I ordered them to replace as well but I can't seem to locate them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not a problem. Here are a couple pictures from Chrysler for the solenoid/actuator. The first 2 is the intake and second 2 is the exhaust. If you need better pictures, I can go to my Caliber and take pictures of the actual solenoid/actuator. Hope this helps.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts