Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to replace the liftgate speakers? I know they're tiny but has anyone tried or heard of mounting larger, better sounding speakers in their place?

I was listening to some As I Lay Dying at one of my bands shows with the hatch open, and i noticed from about 15 feet away, those speakers sound fuzzy and just not clear at all.

I switched cds and the same fuzzy sound was there.

what are my options, people?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I think the hatch speaker looks cool, but I'm not really sure how much they help. Since in order to get the rear r/s sub with QTR trim speaker cutout you have to get the liftgate system, I think it's worth it.

Since I already know how to uninstall and reinstall the r/s QTR trim with speaker cutout and get an employee discount on parts from the dealer....

If I upgrade to a '08 Caliber model I might consider ordering the r/s QTR trim from the dealer and get an after market sub installed and upgraded speakers. For the price though of the musicgate system, sound vs. trouble it might not be worth the trouble because stock it really does sound GREAT! :cool:

·
Registered
413 Posts
devxmosh said:
what are my options, people?
I personally have taken apart the liftgate speakers. Truth be known that the reason they are "tinny" is that they are 3-1/2" speakers. Not alot of bass is gonna pump out of those. Because the speakers mount to the face of the lifgate, cuting out a larger hole, to surface mount a larger driver will result in cutting off mounting tabs. You will more than likely not be able to re-assemble the enclosure. Modifications of some sort will be neccessary to achieve this. Keep in mind that there may be a possibility of a high pass filter on those speakers.....if not removable, no matter what size speaker you put in, it will still be tinny. I will take them apart again and try to figure on how to upgrade them. After all.........it's a mod that I'm considering myself!!!!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
One alternative to modding would be to replace them with an aftermarket 3-1/2" speaker......not too sure how much of a gain it will yield. Keep in mind that not a single speaker in the Caliber is coaxial........they are full range paper cone speakers.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Boston sells both 3 1/2 and 4" full range co-ax's (S35 and RX47). There is a pair of S35s on Ebay right now for $40 and a pair of RX47's for $69 from the same person I bought my last set of Bostons from (Indoaudio).

·
Registered
689 Posts
Whatever happened with the Mopar Upgrade Speaker kit for the MusicGate, it was suppose to be coming soon, and I have yet to hear anything more about it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
CoolCallie said:
Boston sells both 3 1/2 and 4" full range co-ax's (S35 and RX47). There is a pair of S35s on Ebay right now for $40 and a pair of RX47's for $69 from the same person I bought my last set of Bostons from (Indoaudio).
I've been looking at the s35's for a while now as a possible upgrade, but I still want to consider how to mod for a larger driver. Another upgraded speaker for anyone looking to keep the BA name in the system are the sx95 6x9's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I never heard anything about an upgrade to the musicgate system... what kinda stuff were they talking about doing?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I tried something today, I took off the back cover of the Musicgate and left it off while I drove and listened to music. I played with the fade and could not hear any tinniness, I effectively turned the speakers into free air speakers.

It obviously looks like crap when the MG is dropped down, so I grabbed my Dremel and some Dynamat I purchased 3 years ago and never used and went to work. I removed the raised lines of plastic on the backing plate of the MG, where the speakers pulled air from. Once it was all smoothed out back there I cut strips of Dynamat and formed the Dynamat to the sections where air would be drawn from and where sound is present. I have not checked it since doing this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts