Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I read most of the post and didn't see this question asked. I have an SE Caliber with 15" ugly black rims and hubcaps. I have on order 17" Focal Rims. F6 176 Series. 17x7 5x4.5, I will be putting on 215 50 17 tires. Does anyone know if this will affect the CVT and MPG's. I know that the speedo, will show 60 when I will be traveling 58.1 mph. I was thinking that it shouldn't but was told it would, so any help from the more advanced people on here would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well from your numbers there your mileage will be off by 3.2%. Your MPG will just be off by this amount roughly. I can't see it doing any dammage to the CVT.

But keep in mind that we had a member here get a letter from the dealer because of aftermarket rims. If something were to go wrong with the CVT, they might try to blame the rims and different tire diameter. It not very likely, but possible.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Tigerr said:
Well from your numbers there your mileage will be off by 3.2%. Your MPG will just be off by this amount roughly. I can't see it doing any dammage to the CVT.

But keep in mind that we had a member here get a letter from the dealer because of aftermarket rims. If something were to go wrong with the CVT, they might try to blame the rims and different tire diameter. It not very likely, but possible.
To be on the safe side, put the factory rims back on when you bring the car in for servicing!!..;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
or just don't risk it... and don't change the ultimate diameter of the tire. EX. if you add an inch on the rim take away an inch from the tire....

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you change the size of your tire/wheel so its different from stock, and if your overall diameter is different then stock, its not going to hurt your CVT. They may try to say it did but it wont. Just do as stated and put the stockers back on. If you have an R/T that is AWD, make sure that all 4 corners are the same diameter, if you go with different sizes your going to destroy your diffs.
On FWD make sure you have the same tires/wheels on the front, and you on AWD you have the same tires/wheels on all 4 corners.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Tigerr said:

I'm that member who recieved a letter from the dealer that aftermarket wheels/tires MAY void my warranty. This is total bullshoot though, the dealer is just hating, lol. It doesn't state ANYTHING in the warranty or manual about aftermarket wheels/tires voiding a warranty. Actually, just stay within spec of the factory wheels. If you have to have the good stuff, when it comes time for a serious checkup, just put the factory wheels back on, and see a different dealer! That's what I intend to do! Heck, I've seen PLENTY of Nissan Murano's with aftermarket wheels on them, and our Calibers have a more advanced CVT in them.

·
Registered
377 Posts
STEELBLueCALI said:
I'm that member who recieved a letter from the dealer that aftermarket wheels/tires MAY void my warranty. This is total bullshoot though, the dealer is just hating, lol. It doesn't state ANYTHING in the warranty or manual about aftermarket wheels/tires voiding a warranty. Actually, just stay within spec of the factory wheels. If you have to have the good stuff, when it comes time for a serious checkup, just put the factory wheels back on, and see a different dealer! That's what I intend to do! Heck, I've seen PLENTY of Nissan Murano's with aftermarket wheels on them, and our Calibers have a more advanced CVT in them.
You should send them a copy of the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act and call SEMA on them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Specific tire sizes can be selected in the cars computer. I had a 2003 dodge work truck and I changed the tires and the size from what came on the truck from the factory. The tech just plugged this gizmo into a socket under the steering whell had selected the tire size I wanted (there were like 6 different sizes to choose from 17" and 20"(?). The onboard computer will then make the nessesary transmission and speedo adjustments. I was told if you put the bigger tires/wheels on without making this computer adjustment, your check engine light will come on account the trany will be out of whack...

·
Banned
400 Posts
CoolCallie said:
You should send them a copy of the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act and call SEMA on them.
EDIT* Wow, that S.E.M.A thing REALLY WORKS! I called my dealer back and DEMANDED to speak to the GENERAL MANAGER. He told me that DCX wouldn't pay for my wheel alignment, or the computer calibration... But that the dealership would pay for it! Just that they couldn't do it, i would have to take it to Strauss!! Oh well, at least I don't have to pay for it...

·
Registered
89 Posts
STEELBLueCALI said:
I'm ready to put my foot up this SERVICE MANAGERS ASS!! He WILL NOT UNDER ANY circumstances, calibrate my new wheels to the computer!
Why is that?

·
Registered
901 Posts
STEELBLueCALI said:
EDIT* Wow, that S.E.M.A thing REALLY WORKS! I called my dealer back and DEMANDED to speak to the GENERAL MANAGER. He told me that DCX wouldn't pay for my wheel alignment, or the computer calibration... But that the dealership would pay for it! Just that they couldn't do it, i would have to take it to Strauss!! Oh well, at least I don't have to pay for it...
:confused: :confused: Why in the world would you expect DCX or your dealer to absorb the cost of an alignment or a calibration that is needed because of aftermarket parts???? They might DO the work, but it should be at your cost. It's not like a factory part failed...

Your warranty book clearly states that aftermarket parts are not covered by the DCX warranty, and that repairs or adjustments needed because of 3rd party mods are not covered by the DCX warranty. Translation = use at your own risk, and out of pocket cost.

What should have happened is the company that put on the aftermarket wheels should do the alignment as part of the installation. But maybe they don't have the caliber factory specs or computer data so maybe they can't....?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts