Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my Caliber on a 1500 mile, 3 day sprint and I am very happy.

Overall I give the car an A

The car gave a very smooth and comfortable ride, it was 10 hours one way stopping only for gas, at night one way, daytime back.

The cvt was flawless, I would hit the gas and wouldn't feel anything, just see the rpm's reach up a little, averaging about 2800, never going above 3500.

The only negatives in my opinion are the tires, just too loud especially on concrete highway, and a little too stiff for my taste. Obvioulsy road condition is a factor but only on the freshest of pavement was it really smooth.

The other is the blind spots which I am still getting used to.

Other than that I will be adding the cruise control kit, that will make it even more comfortable for long trips.

*Note: Due to many thoughts and concerns around the forum about tire failures causing accidents I checked my tires thoroughly before and after each leg of the trip, I set the pressures when I left and when I arrived after 700+ miles non-stop (overnight) the pressures rose 4 lbs in the left front, 5 lbs in the right front, stayed the same in the rears. 1 hour later the front tires returned to within 1 pound of the original psi. On the trip back (daytime)the same occurred except it was +6 lbs in each front tire. None of the tires showed any abnormal wear or stress issues that I could see.

Perhaps it means nothing, just normal heating and cooling cycles of the tires.

PS - This car really does get better the more you drive it!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The pressure fluctuation is just the normal heating and cooling of the tires. The pressure will increase as the friction heats up the tires. As long as the tires aren't under-inflated you shoudl be okay

·
Registered
147 Posts
Good to hear your report. Curious: what model Caliber & did you calculate fuel mileage?

J

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jmettee said:
Good to hear your report. Curious: what model Caliber & did you calculate fuel mileage?

J
I have the sxt, 2.0 liter cvt.

I got 33 mpg doing 75 mph most of the time.

I traveled 340 miles avg before I filled up at 1/8 tank, light came on once at 352 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, you did better than I did. I have an rt that I took on vacation for a little over 2000 miles round trip. I went from Lancaster county, Pa to Bristol, Tn to Nashville then to Bristol again and back home. By the time I got back I noticed that my steering wheel sat a little to the left while going straight. I took it back to the dealer and they said they didn't notice the steering wheel being crooked, but checked the alignment anyway. Sure enough it needed a four wheel alignment and now everything is back to normal. It must have been all the interstate driving that messed the alignment up. Other than that, I have no complaints.
-Chad

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chadicenhour said:
Well, you did better than I did. I have an rt that I took on vacation for a little over 2000 miles round trip. I went from Lancaster county, Pa to Bristol, Tn to Nashville then to Bristol again and back home. By the time I got back I noticed that my steering wheel sat a little to the left while going straight. I took it back to the dealer and they said they didn't notice the steering wheel being crooked, but checked the alignment anyway. Sure enough it needed a four wheel alignment and now everything is back to normal. It must have been all the interstate driving that messed the alignment up. Other than that, I have no complaints.
-Chad
We may have crossed paths, sounds like you would have traveled I-81 for the most part, especially the looooong boring stretch through VA, that's mostly the route I took from NY to NC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep, I-81 most of the way. I've travelled it plenty of times and its gets more boring each time I travel it. I took an unusual route this time. I usually take rt 1 to 695 to 70 to 340 to 81 because of the scenery through Harper's Ferry Virginia. This time I bipassed 340 all together and was on 81 much longer. I don't think 81 was the interstate that knocked the caliber's alignment out, I think it was rt40 from Knoxville to Nashville. At times it was pretty trashy.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Just got back from 6000+Km. trip to Jenson Beach Florida and agree with your findings, .38. The Caliber performed without a flaw there and back. I went down I-81 from the Canadian border and got on I-95 north of DC [never again, friday night rush hour] and then straight down to Florida. Came back on I-95, I-26, I-77, I-79 to I-90 and crossed the border at Buffalo, a much more scenic route. Tire noise is a major problem with those crappy Firestones and I noticed some aquaplaning and loss of traction on rain soaked roads. The sporty feeling stiff suspension and short wheelbase are great for short runs but after 10 hours a day on those concrete slab interstates, nausea starts to set in. The wife said the next time we fly or take the Mercedes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts