Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met someone the other day with a new Caliber SE. She was very happy with her car, however, she told me something that really made me wonder. She said the dealer told her that the Caliber's higher center of gravity makes it prone to roll overs. He then talked her into spending a bunch of extra money for dealer installed "rollover protection". Looking over her car, I can't see anything mechanically different than mine in regards to suspension, roll bar, etc.

Does Dodge offer a rollover protection package for the Caliber, or did the dealer just take her for a bunch of money without her getting anything of value in return? If there is a rollover protection package for the Caliber (which I haven't heard of), what is included in the package?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Likely nothing at all is different. More than likely another dealer selling point to squeeze more cash outta you.

·
Registered
114 Posts
They may have enabled an ESP program on hers. That would be my guess as the purpose of the stability program is to resist rollover or any erratic over/understeer that would cause driver to lose control.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Sounds like she got more than one ride out of the deal. Was probably just another dealer taking advantage of un-informed customers. Which is why I feel everyone should only go into the dealer knowing exactly what they want and what they are willing to pay and don't take anything else. Know something about the vehicle you are going to buy before walking into the dealer. Otherwise you will end getting screwed over.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Michael K. said:
If there is a rollover protection package for the Caliber (which I haven't heard of), what is included in the package?
This should do it....

Training wheels.:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
HSKR said:
Sounds like she got more than one ride out of the deal. Was probably just another dealer taking advantage of un-informed customers. Which is why I feel everyone should only go into the dealer knowing exactly what they want and what they are willing to pay and don't take anything else. Know something about the vehicle you are going to buy before walking into the dealer. Otherwise you will end getting screwed over.
I agree completely. My wife and I went in knowing what vehicles we wanted with what options. We walked out without buying all the extra "protections". I hope this lady takes her bill back to the dealer and tries to get her money back. It's one thing to be over sold on something that exists, but it's fraud to be sold something that doesn't.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
xlimodriver said:
This should do it....

Training wheels.:D
ROTFLOL!!!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Xtreme Thunder said:
What exactly did this "rollover protection" consist of?:confused: Is ESP even available on SE? :confused::confused::confused:

Sounds like she was had by the dealer possibly!:mad:
He's in Germany. The European Caliber trim levels are different from ours. I think ESP might be standard issue over there. So there shouldn't have been anything to "turn on".

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HSKR said:
He's in Germany. The European Caliber trim levels are different from ours. I think ESP might be standard issue over there. So there shouldn't have been anything to "turn on".
It was another American with an American spec Caliber.

·
Registered
253 Posts
she whent in there with a can of but lube and they used it on her

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Nah, I think they saved the lube for another customer that wasn't so easy. She took it dry and liked it.

Michael, was the car bought through the military auto sales and the dealer it got delivered to there bend her over?? If so, then it was still a dealer taking advantage of uninformed buyer, and probably a little bit of "let's screw with the American" as well.

·
Registered
187 Posts
This seems to be a real-life parallel to a crank call recording someone just sent me. The caller is pretending to be a car dealer who calls a woman about her car. The "dealer" is saying things like "You car checks out fine but there's a couple of things we need to look at. I noticed that your headlight fluid is low and should be refilled. Now, you can choose between the incandescent fluid or the Halogen fluid..." The lady asked which would be better and what would be the cost and the "dealer" is of course recommending the Halogen fluid. She agrees to a $30 charge to re-fill the headlight fluid. He goes to say "I also noticed something about your tires. The right front is on the left front of the car and the left front tire is on the right rear..." and goes on to get the woman to agree to a charge of "making the tires right". Funny and sad at the same time.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
lol. Whats funny is people always picture a woman as the victim in these situations. Around here i have noticed guys my age that are pathetically lost when it comes to cars. I get calls asking typical questions about oil and oil filters. Ill ask what engine they have or what trim level their car is so i can look up part numbers and i get the most hilarious responces. I also know of plenty of people paying more than my monthly payment on 6 year terms on $6000 KBB value vehicles. Its a shame

·
Registered
683 Posts
The Caliber scored well in roll over protection tests. It's rather beefy center pillars should help considerably. The dealer used scare tactics to get more money for a non-value added item. Maybe they added an aftermarket anti-roll bar to the front or rear.

·
Registered
683 Posts
So how many here have had a shop try to sell you a new muffler bearing?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Unoriginalusername said:
I had to pay $732 for a new flux core capacitor every 50,000 miles on my last car, that always sucked
accidentally time traveling when you were late for work must have sucked, too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts