Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Materials used:
heat gun
paint scraper
terry cloth towels
3M spray on adhesive remover
*used the heat gun to heat up the door strips so the adhesive would become tacky and i could slowly work it off... the used the metal scraper to help work away the trimming from the door. that was the easy part. the most time consuming was actually getting all the adhesive off the door. it took a few layers of the 3M spray, and i had to slowly work it off... but i think in the long run it turned out good.
BEFORE:

First layer of adhesive tape after getting the chrome off:

After the first time using the 3M spray:

Finished:

*note: dont try this if you plan on keeping the door trimming. the heat gun pretty much ruins the chrome finish on the trim because it gets it too hot... also, prying it off the door kinda warps them.

345pst edit: just did the second side, and it was much easier to get the bulk of the tape off with the heat gun and a towel, as appose to the 3M spray. i used the spray for the last little bit, just to clean up some streaking and mild tacky spots on the car. using the heat gun instead saved me about an hour.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I will probably be either puling mine in favor of a black rubber strip or taping mine off. I want to keep something there for protection and to brake up the body lines a bit. It looks good without it though.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
havent debadged it yet... havent desided if im going to or not

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fingernipp said:
I will probably be either puling mine in favor of a black rubber strip or taping mine off. I want to keep something there for protection and to brake up the body lines a bit. It looks good without it though.
dont really understand why they put them there. they dont protect from anything. shopping carts are a different hieght, and all cars are going to be heigher or lower then ours so its not going to stop from door dings. the only thing it would help is you opening your door into somebody elses car. but even then its only applicable to the fronts, because the trim doesnt extend the full length of the door on the rears.
and as far as breaking up the body lines... its not like this is a flat, plain shaped car. a half an inch above the trim is a huge body line that breaks the car up just fine.
IMO, these things serve no purpose.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Haha...you're removing yours, and I was planning on adding 2 more between the existing molding and the rocker panels. You know, like chrome Adidas stripes...it's a matter of taste.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
jolie salsera said:
Haha...you're removing yours, and I was planning on adding 2 more between the existing molding and the rocker panels. You know, like chrome Adidas stripes...it's a matter of taste.
me too! Ya i have that mod.... it's called not paying for it so they don't put it on.

·
Registered
413 Posts
jolie salsera said:
Well I don't really plan on adding or deleting any chrome, but I love the look of chrome....lots of it, like in the 50's where Caddies had 200 peices of chrome decorating them...then again a subtle look goes well too!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
EXcaliber said:
Well I don't really plan on adding or deleting any chrome, but I love the look of chrome....lots of it, like in the 50's where Caddies had 200 peices of chrome decorating them...then again a subtle look goes well too!!!
I'm a sucker for the chrome. Not excessive, but...slightly more than your average. I'm thinking that my plan wouldn't take away from the bodylines or overwhelm the car.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Chrome is subjective for sure and dependent on vehicle, colour, and other subtleties. My R/T in steel blue is well complimented with the chrome accents and molding. I've seen SXT's in the same colour without the chrome and don't like it nearly as much. Some chrome treatments can look a little tacky though. I'd never remove the chrome on my R/T. YMMV.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i like chrome, depends on the car and the color though... on the caliber, i think it looks like hell so i wanted to get rid of it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I like chrome so much, I'm thinking about doing something like this with my Caliber:

Just kidding. My personal taste is, with the shape and style of the Caliber, combined with the Marine Blue color of mine, black trim looks better than chrome. Then again, as has already been stated, it's all a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Man!!!! talk about being blinded by the sun!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't have one yet, but I want a R/T in Sunburst Orange. I'm thinking of blacking out the crome including the door handle strips and badging. Not sure about the grill though. I think it would be too much black so I'd probably go body colour there. Want to paint up the Ram head logos in Black and Body colour background.

I'm my mind it looks cool...

·
Registered
775 Posts
Does anyone know if you can by the non-chrome door trim for a black Caliber? I'd like to put the black trim on my blue car.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
Looks good, i plan on taking mine off when the weather warms up. I saw an 08 caliber yesterday that was a Telus car and it did not even have these things on it, and i liked it so much more:cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts