Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know what's going on in DODGE as concerns the roof rack accessory for Caliber?
Here in Italy it has been suddenly retired by the commerce; it seems that due to many aftermarket claims by Caliber dealers with such rack fitted on, its project is resulted faulty (rubber gasket in way of the doors resulted damaged due to the continuous touch with the internal fixing rack brackets).
Its there someone in touch with DODGE for clarify the current status of the matter?
Personally I've already payed the roof rack bars when ordered my Caliber, but I can wait up to July when scheduled my holidays;
But here in Italy, as weel all over the world, many Caliber owners who already fitted this accessory are really worried very much about this situation, it seems that Dodge is "sleeping over it", neither corrective actions nor Dodge Offical recall letters have been sent to Caliber Owners yet just to warn about this sure damage i.w.o.rubber gaskets.
Last week i've also contacted MOPAR.com U.S.A. asking them some clarification about this matter by they briefly told me that "MOPAR has no responsibility of this stuff, MOPAR only produce accessories for DODGE and the engineering of roof rack is care of Dodge (and so is for other accessories).
Maybe there in U.S.A. there are different or additional information.
On behalf of me and my italian friends, many thanks to who will give me his help in advance.

Rgds,
Luca

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't have an answer as to what Dodge is doing about it but I do know it wears out the rubber door gasket. I have 2 holes on each door gasket right where the screws are. Also the uprights that hold the crossbars rub the door frame scratching the paint. I'm really not happy with the dodge rack but until yakima or thule figure something out I've got to transport my kayaks somehow.:mad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi .22.
I take your point of view at 100%; also my friend met same your problems but in general, frankly speaking, let's say that the whole project of the roof rack bars anchoring system is totally wrong, first of all due to the necessity (really out of any possible logic) to made after-market 2 holes each bracket directly in the bodywork; so, when dismounted if rack is not temporarily used, all that we see are 2 ugly screwed black holes with neither blank flange in way of each door, nor a cap just to avoid the sperad of water or saltness (my house is nearby the sea) into such holes.
Moreover, the total compound bracket with screw is too thick when fitted, and this is the main cause of the wear down of rubber gasket.
Very strange that Dodge have not yet provided recall letter just to warn Caliber owners about this matter, at least just to take time to fix the problem without causing claims by Cali owners and this is not correct into your respect.
I also confirm you that I contacted THULE swden and currently no roof racks are scheduled to be available for Cali's.
Sorry.22, but what did your Dodge dealer told you about this matter when reported him the claim?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I posted this in one of the other roof rack threads last week but Perrycraft makes a Sport Quest rack that mounts to the top of the Caliber (or most other vehicles). I had one recently installed using the fixed pad mount but they also have an adjustable track mount. The cross bars are the stardard 20mm x 30mm and you can use their mounts for bikes, kayaks, etc. or it is compatable with Thule equipment mounts per Perrycraft's website. I have a pair of bike carriers on mine.

I did this because of the lack of information from Dodge - Mopar and I got tired of waiting. The weather is turning nice and I want to play. :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
magiclilla said:
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know what's going on in DODGE as concerns the roof rack accessory for Caliber?
Here in Italy it has been suddenly retired by the commerce; it seems that due to many aftermarket claims by Caliber dealers with such rack fitted on, its project is resulted faulty (rubber gasket in way of the doors resulted damaged due to the continuous touch with the internal fixing rack brackets).
Its there someone in touch with DODGE for clarify the current status of the matter?
Personally I've already payed the roof rack bars when ordered my Caliber, but I can wait up to July when scheduled my holidays;
But here in Italy, as weel all over the world, many Caliber owners who already fitted this accessory are really worried very much about this situation, it seems that Dodge is "sleeping over it", neither corrective actions nor Dodge Offical recall letters have been sent to Caliber Owners yet just to warn about this sure damage i.w.o.rubber gaskets.
Last week i've also contacted MOPAR.com U.S.A. asking them some clarification about this matter by they briefly told me that "MOPAR has no responsibility of this stuff, MOPAR only produce accessories for DODGE and the engineering of roof rack is care of Dodge (and so is for other accessories).
Maybe there in U.S.A. there are different or additional information.
On behalf of me and my italian friends, many thanks to who will give me his help in advance.

Rgds,
Luca
Hello Luca:

HEMEEE alerted me to the fact you've been searching for information on the Caliber roof rack. Sorry for the delay in responding. You were searching for someone named Brad who had given you some details on other options for you such as a universal roof rack.

It doesn't appear you can even order one from Mopar anymore from what I can see. Most likely this is due to the problems you've mentioned.

I believe the "Brad" you were looking for is Prop1. He's a member of this site as well. From what I recall, he suggested going with a universal roof rack. Hopefully he'll see this thread and comment for you. You could also send him a Private Message here... http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/member.php?u=5929.

This is the universal roof rack he suggested.

Good luck and welcome!!!

Medic

·
Registered
246 Posts
Prop1 said:
Hi Luca,

In the end I decided not to put holes in my roof to attach a rack. I went with a hitch mounted cargo carrier.
Yeah, I'd feel the same way about drilling holes. Could be trouble down the road.

Medic

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Why Dodge hasn't or won't integrate a roof rack into those black plastic runners on the roof is beyond me. It would be so easy and very cool. I thought there would be more Mopar support for the Caliber... their own!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GOT said:
Why Dodge hasn't or won't integrate a roof rack into those black plastic runners on the roof is beyond me. It would be so easy and very cool. I thought there would be more Mopar support for the Caliber... their own!
Hi Got and everyone who kindly poosted for this thread; there are few stuff that I can add, and as far as I've understood, there in U.S. the Dodge approach to this problem seems not have been approached yet, or as we say in Italy, it sounds like to try to talk with a deaf! That's behaviour it is not correct, dear Dodge!!
I confirm to all of you that i ordered one set of Dodge/Mopar genuine roof rack accessory as it has been included within the purchase contract of my Caliber between my dealer and me.
I also confirm that e-mailed to Mopar U.S. and they only told me few words "It is not MOPAR responsibility , please ask directly to DODGE ".
At that moment such rack was not anymore available; it should have been a question of few days but a useless period of 1 month I got from my dealer tha information given in my first post.
Got, probably I got your indication, probably you refer to the same plastic longitudinal profiles that should fit in the same way as for those provideded on Jeep Compass, I saw that they are similar to Caliber (as the 70% of the whole car) but they are provided with proper housings at two or three different spacings / intervals on the roof.
The solution proposed by you, drae Brad, unfortunately currently does not fit with my needs.
On the other hand, probably here in Italy I have no alternatives other than wait the awakening of Dodge!!!
In any case, alternative solutions can be taken into consideration maybe later on, so if someone should find a solution other than MOPAR , he'll be welcome.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the Mopar one new in box... Been waiting for warmer weather to install it but if someone has to have it, I'll consider selling it for my cost + shipping.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Prop1 said:
Those are rack attachments, not the racks themselves.
...and in any case also there the so called "sport utility bars" is out of stock ("omissis......this product is temporarily out of stock. Please check back with us in a few days for updated availability").

Ok, I'll try to formally send today a query/claim to DODGE.COM, by-passing DODGE ITALY (it will be uselss!); I'm pretty curious to see what they'll say on the matter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts