Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered the roof rack, it will be atmy house on monday. Is it hard to install???? I'm assuming 8 holes in the doorframes total. I saw the pictures from .22's thread but I would like some more detail. Got it from the Wyckoff Chrysler Parts site. The dealer around me wanted 310$ for it while Wyckoff wanted 209... hm? Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
8 Holes total, use masking tape on the door frames to mark the holes and prevent scratching. Start with a small drill then open it up. The small drill bit is less likely to "walk" on you. Also look into using a rivnut gun, trust me you don't want to put those nuts in by hand. A local sheet metal shop or machine shop should be able to help you. I would also recommend locktite for the bolts holding the rack on. Mine had backed out a little over the course of a month. Keep the supplied allen wrench in the car for such occasions. I can answer more questions and possibly more pictures of specific areas if you need them.

"Measure twice, cut once"

·
Registered
190 Posts
Good luck on the install. Take some pics and post them with a write up. .22's is helpful, but like you, I also want more photos/details. I have one new in box in my garage, and I'm on the fence as to install it or return it in favor of a tow hitch. Thanks.

·
Registered
357 Posts
mine is still in the box no time yet to install. wondering about this rivnut tool, think snapon makes one? to help prevent bit walk always counterpunch a dimple. that said I will probably drill a hole through someting unintentionally :p I have some locktite blue but sounds like red is the stuff to use for permanent installs.

the good news is my license and hitch "L" bracket came in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey - Nice Rack **SLAP**

:rolleyes:
Can't avoid the puns...

I am not down with the factory roof bars (look kinda clunky IMHO and smokin' rivets, rivnuts, bolts, nails or staples into our Cali make me all cold and prickly all over. If the rack was a NICE rack a la neon or Caravan type which mounted inside the black trim rails, I'd be okay with (gulp) shooting holes into the sheetmetal. Meantime I'm figuring a hitch rack/box/etc. is the way to go. This way I can interchange with the hitch on the van and use one *rack point* for boat/rack/box.

Thoughts? Cheers!

Steve

http://www.thuleracks.com/thulecan/fg_hitch1.asp?receiver_class=Class+2+%2F+300+lb.+Maximum+Tongue+Weight&car_id=8174&receiver=2&sport=22%2C23%2C29&factory_id=

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so the rack is coming today.... has anyone mounted ski or snowboard holders to theirs? Is there an adapter I will need?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it, now I just have to figure out how to install this thing... :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Installed, will take pictures when I get home. I let the dealer do it due to time and I didn't have any tools.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol yea..... i just emailed my home to make sure i do it. The cali is in the shop right now with a flat tire =/

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right now, I am living in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I am from Detroit and go to school in New York. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a couple of questions for you re. your roof rack installation -

1. Have you had any problems with it since you installed it?
2. Can you give me a link to a rivnut gun you used to install the rack?
3. Did you use some sort of glue or sealant to keep the rivnut in place?

Thanks!

CaliJoe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts