Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After removing my free exhaust tip yesterday, I noticed the EXCESSIVE amount of carbon build-up on the exhaust tip. With as much as was there and in as little time it accumulated in (A week and a half maybe) you would think I would have a black smog cloud behind me and a federal alert out on me.

It is running way too rich by seeing this. Check your exhaust pipes and tell me you have the same excessive build up.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yeh, I've seen the black soot too. This is an indicator for TOO RICH fuel mixture. No wonder my mpg sucks. On my next visit to the dealer, I'll inquire and see what my advisor says.

. Tyke

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they won't do anything a one-step hotter plug should help take care of it. If there is that much soot on the exhaust tip, imagine how much is on the spark plugs and on the combustion chambers...

·
Registered
343 Posts
::Looks at sooty finger::

mmm, my MPG sucks, could this be it? I asked my service guy when I had the new software flash to look at the motor, but I don't think he did, as he wrote that the new software flash would help. We shall see.

When my motor cools off later this evening I will pull a plug and snap pictures.

My next oil change is in 800 miles, so I will show them the soot then, and maybe then they will do something.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was already taking the torx bit off the coil when you posted. If the camera will ever release the pictures I will post mine. The factory NGK plug is pretty toasted. It's got a nice little ring on the resistor, carbon is all over the threads and about on half of the electrode. With little over 12,000 miles, these plugs need to be changed now and IIRC, these are either platinum or iridium plugs that have a service life of 60,000 to 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Jesum Crow, I've got 11,200 miles on mine right now, so I'm sure I'm not far behind. That's some serious crap. I know it's not from burning oil, because I constantly check it, and it's always at the top. Hopefully within an hour I'll get one out.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trythisonforsize said:
Jesum Crow, I've got 11,200 miles on mine right now, so I'm sure I'm not far behind. That's some serious crap. I know it's not from burning oil, because I constantly check it, and it's always at the top. Hopefully within an hour I'll get one out.
It was definately not oil (Despite Chrysler having some serious oil consumption/sludging issues just a few years back), my last Mazda had a PCV issue and drank oil so I got very familiar with what oil looks like on spark plugs. No crap on the coil boots either.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Trythisonforsize said:
i just went and checkt my pipe and i found nothing just a little black dust after 13500km,is that what your guys are seing or am i looking at the wrong stuff ??????? i Pick would be nice ,cheers Thomas

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I left the exhaust tip at the store, when I go back tomorrow I can take a picture to show to everyone how excessive this build-up is. You can tell where the factory turndown ended inside the exhaust tip, the chrome is pitch black and had spilled all the way out the tip and started up on the outside of the tip.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I read your post and went into the garage to check my chrome
exhaust tip which has been on for about 9000 km,but mine appears
to be gray to dark grey with a hint brown so I assume it's running
about right mixture.
I would say your right about the rich mixture.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've got plug pictures. My neighbor came over and saw what I was doing, definitely didn't like what was going on with the plugs. He noticed the green color, but forgot what it meant. The rest of the plug is pretty sooty. Also noticed were the the flame front on the ceramic is. He told me about indexing the plugs, evidently (theory makes sense) that it's supposed to help burn = more HP.

Attachments

·
Registered
721 Posts
Trythisonforsize said:
I've got plug pictures. My neighbor came over and saw what I was doing, definitely didn't like what was going on with the plugs. He noticed the green color, but forgot what it meant. The rest of the plug is pretty sooty. Also noticed were the the flame front on the ceramic is. He told me about indexing the plugs, evidently (theory makes sense) that it's supposed to help burn = more HP.
Thinking back to my jeep engine experience, that doesn't look to bad to me actually. I shall go check my Caliber exhaust tip in the morning though, although I figure with only 4k or so miles on it, I wont see much...

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Those plugs really don't look that bad. There is no carbon build up on the electrode which is where it would show an overly rich condition. I don't see any green, but usually if you had green coolant, green on the spark plug would show a coolant leak, but we don't have green coolant in our radiators. At least I don't.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm not really educated about the science of spark plugs, so I'll leave that to the experts. I'm not overly concerned about it. After all, nothing is 100% efficient, so there will be some byproducts left over.

I would like to see if the new K&N filter would help that. I would imagine that the computer would see more airflow and toss more fuel into the mix. Too many variables, and that's why I love carbs :)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Trythisonforsize said:
Too many variables, and that's why I love carbs :)
If able to properly tune, fuel injection out performs carbs in power and fuel mileage. The problem is, buying the stuff and knowing what you are doing to get a proper tune. The factory computer controls won't cut it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I know EFI does better than carbs, but at least with carbs on my bikes, I could adjust fuel mixture and whatnot, granted they are more work when it comes to overhaul and syncing 4 carbs. I could get more power with jetting too.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
You can adjust air fuel mixture with fuel injection to, you just have to use a seperate controller. Usualy though, unless you have quite a few mods, the factory tune is set up for a balance of fuel mileage and performance, leaning more towards fuel mileage. But there is also adaptive learning in the PCm to where it will tune itself slightly towards your driving style. You drive it hard all the time, it learns that and might be why you get bad gas mileage. Taking a few more long trips should even it out.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts