Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a question regarding rust protection. When I ordered my Caliber back in May, when they were talking about extended warranties and such, the dealer mentioned a rust protection module. Apparently it detects rust via some kind of sonar ping or something. Anybody ever have/use something like this? Is this just another dealer scam to get another $1000 out of me? I know its not a DCX product. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Adding Additional Info

After a bit of Googling I found what i think is the product. You can see it here -> http://www.ruststopnorthamerica.com/. I'm not sure if this is the exact manufacturer my dealer uses, I'm waiting to hear back from them. Here is a blurb from their page:

"Rust is basically an electrochemical process. RustStop® RS-4 uses electricity to interrupt the rusting process and help rustproof your car, truck, SUV or van. The US Navy considers Cathodic Protection to be the best form of electronic corrosion control. RustStop® RS-4 uses an adapted version of cathodic protection to overcome the limitations of "classical cathodic protection" on vehicles. RustStop® RS-4 uses a clever combination of both Sacrificial Anode and Impressed Current technologies.

Unlike other rust protection methods, RustStop® RS-4 electronic rust prevention gives each individual customer visual proof that it's working. The RustStop® RS-4 Sacrificial Anodes were specifically designed to attract free electrons that would otherwise be eating away at your vehicle (rust). When these free electrons arrive at the Sacrificial Anodes, the Anodes corrode. This means that the corrosion that forms on the Anodes would have been corrosion or rust forming somewhere else on your vehicle. Now, that's visual proof! RustStop® RS-4 is backed with a Lifetime Warranty on the electronic command module and a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee. So, don't take our word for it, order a system and see for yourself."

·
Registered
198 Posts
scam... :(

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I'm in the Navy and work on electronics in a corrosive environment and have never heard of this tyep of rust "prevention." Our prevention consists of cleaning our **** constantly, and inspecting at regular intervals.

·
Registered
60 Posts
ya my dealer tried to get me to buy this too... sounded too good to be true.

if anyone has some experience or more info that would be great tho

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've heard of the cathode/anode reaction. I've seen it on the transom of boats, were there are sacraficial zinc parts that help keep the corrosion from affecting other parts.

As HSKR knows, on our helo's we have bonding/grounding wires connecting all the parts to keep the current in all the pieces equal. I have noticed the same with the Caliber. This is also to help corrosion.

Maybe we need to do 7/14/28/56 day inspections and CPC (corrosion preventative compound) wipe downs on our cars now, lol.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard back from my dealer and they directed me to this site:

www.sym-tech.ca

This is the module that they install. It seems like it is on the level, but from what I've heard Krown is the best way to go.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've heard a few that had it installed. Still had rust. Undercoating and/or keeping your car clean is a better and cheaper solution.

Or live in Arizona where there is little rust. The deserts are dry and in the snowy mountains they do not use salt on the roads.

·
Registered
52 Posts
only thing i know that prevents metal from rusting is a sort of acid bath, they call it burning the metal. Alot of hot rods do it to their sheet metal and dont paint the cars. The steel reacts with this chemical to change its properties so that iron oxide "rust" cant form. It works 100% but is quite expensive im told. or the next best thing is buy a corvette so you wont have your fiberglass rust...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts