Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Cali for around 4 weeks and the other day I noticed that something was coming out from behind the chrome center cap of my driver side front rim (SXT 17's) was a rustish color substance. I checked it out and wiped it off with a napkin and it came right off. Has anybody else seen this, and if so, do you know what is causing it?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Pull the center cap off and see where it's coming from behind it. Probably either the center hub section, or the lugs. Maybe pull the center caps off and dry behind them when you wash the car to keep it form happening again.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
MiniMagnum said:
I've had my Cali for around 4 weeks and the other day I noticed that something was coming out from behind the chrome center cap of my driver side front rim (SXT 17's) was a rustish color substance. I checked it out and wiped it off with a napkin and it came right off. Has anybody else seen this, and if so, do you know what is causing it?
Your hub behind your wheel (and center cap) is made from raw iron, and rusts easily. Whenever it rains, the water/moisture in the air sweeps the rust down the hub center hole and onto your wheel.

Its nothing to be concerned about, just think of it as a minor nuisance. Fixing it would involve removing your wheel, sanding down your hub, and painting it. A tremendous amount of work in my opinion, for such a little nuisance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts