Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Association of Drivers Against Daytime Running Lights is campaigning to eliminate DRL's. I have DRL's on my Caliber. Even with the Nissan not being equipped with them, I tend to drive with my lights on most of the time anyway. I can't say I suport the association in eliminating DRL's, but I do agree that the intensity of DRL's can be reduced in many cases. CLICK HERE to check out their web site.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I detest DRL! THEY ARE TOO BRIGHT!!! ...especially on the Caliber (I've seen a couple with DRL and man if they aren't the brightest of them all...). If they weren't so bright it would be a great idea. My last car had them and every other day someone would flash their brights at me (during the day)... very aggravating. But I never got hit:rolleyes:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of my co-workers has a Pontiac minivan. The DRL's on it are the front park lights. They provide enough light to see the car from a distance, but don't creat so much glare as to blind people. There's no need to make DRL's as bright as they are.

BTW, on the Caliber, the DRL's are the high beam headlights. Next time you are in your garage, or parked in front of a wall with the engine running, release the park brake (to engage the DRL's) and turn your head lights on and off. The DRL's are much brighter and are aimed higher than the low beam headlights--you can see the difference between the headlights and DRL's. I'm getting to the point where I drive with the headlights turned on all the time so as not to blind people with the DRL's.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've never had a problem with DRLs. Even on a Hummer behind me (Hummers have their headlights at the perfect height to shine directly into the mirrors of my old car -- a truely wonderful experience at night).

With so many people in grey cars these days that blend so nicely into a foggy day, DRL are kinda nice. Some cars seem to come out of no where in heavy fog where the lights on other cars gave a hint of their existance.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Principal said:
With so many people in grey cars these days that blend so nicely into a foggy day, DRL are kinda nice. Some cars seem to come out of no where in heavy fog where the lights on other cars gave a hint of their existance.
100% agree. When it's rainy/foggy, you can bet that if you see a car without it's headlights on, 80% chance it's silver/gray in color. Don't know what it is, but it always appears to happen.

More cars need automatic lighting features. My 2003 Saturn has automatic headlights....come on when it's dusk & also whenever the wipers are on. Also has (rather bright) DRLs that are actually the turn signals.

The wife's Caliber should be here any day....it was ordered with DRLs since she drives her current car with the lights on all the time. Waiting to see how the Dodge DRLs are in person.

J

·
Registered
259 Posts
Michael K. said:
BTW, on the Caliber, the DRL's are the high beam headlights.
First of all I love my DRL's I have always like the way cars look in the day with the lights on. I used to turn them on in my PC Cruiser and Stratus.I have only had to follow my car once and it was kinda bright in the review mirror... but I still like them. I think the lights appear to be brighter in general because the car is a little higher than most sedans and lower than most SUVs so it hits in the wrong spot on some cars... i.e. my wife's Saturn L300.

As you mention they are the Brights however, they are only running at 60% not full power... http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6800#post6800

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I read somewhere that statisticly green cars are involved in the most accidents.

·
Registered
111 Posts
In Finland you have to use headlight in daytime and of course in the nighttime. I think that it is more safer when cars use daytimelights :cool:

·
Registered
361 Posts
jmettee said:
More cars need automatic lighting features. My 2003 Saturn has automatic headlights....come on when it's dusk & also whenever the wipers are on. Also has (rather bright) DRLs that are actually the turn signals.
My old car had auto headlights, I loved the feature. The firstnight I got my Caliber, I forgot to turn the headlights on...D'oh! Guess it's something I'll just have to get used to.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It is for Canucks!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey, Canada has had DRL mandatory for all new vehicles for YEARS now! The CDN DRL's are depowered so they are not blinding in any way. The lights 'brighten' when you actually turn the headlamps ON.

On a dark or foggy day, it sure is safer, most people don't have the presence of mind to turn on their headlamps in those conditions.

·
Registered
198 Posts
CDN-SXT said:
The CDN DRL's are depowered so they are not blinding in any way. The lights 'brighten' when you actually turn the headlamps ON.

On a dark or foggy day, it sure is safer, most people don't have the presence of mind to turn on their headlamps in those conditions.
The Cdn DRLs are high beams at 60-80% power. They are aimed UP, and at dusk, are really blinding. We just saw one head on this evening, I guess the driver THOUGHT that their normal lights were on, seeing the reflection from the car infront of them once in a while, when they should have had their headlights oin the on position. Older DC cars used the turn signals as the DRLs!

In fog, its much better to use low beams, at nite, of course, low beams FULL beats high beams at 80%.

They should be AUTOMATIC, period.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts