Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone. The other day, I was trying to parallel park my car. Apparently, I'm still getting used to the size of the vehicle. Yeah, so I kinda nicked the corner of the curb with my front right tire, scratching some of the chrome plating off of the rim.

Sucks to be me. I obviously want to get this repaired. Anyone know the process/approximate price it may cost to get this fixed? I'm going up to college in a few days, and will have to take it to a Dodge dealership up there to get repaired. Just wondering what I'm in for before I bring it in.

Thanks a bunch everyone. I appriciate everyone's help on this forum, and love the community on here. Take care!

-- Devsforev

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Taking it to the dealer won't do you any good. You need to find a place that does custom chroming to ask them. The dealer will just try to sell you a new rim. It's not covered under warranty, because you caused the scratch by hitting a curb.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aghh.... alright. No worries. Do you think a custom chroming place would be able to fix the chrome plating? I'm sure you already know that the chrome package on the caliber is not 'true' chrome. It's some sort of chrome plated skin... Thanks for the quick reply and advice. I really appriciate it. Take care!

-- Devsforev

·
Registered
614 Posts
This repair may not be straight forward or a matter of rechroming. I recall earlier posts on the chrome wheels stating the chrome is in fact a plastic component over the regular 18" rims.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aye.... I just looked on the MOPAR web site... The individual rims go for about $229 if I recall correctly. I think I may be forced to go with that option ultimatley. I would imagine that it shouldn't take over an hour to install (but who am I to know...) so I wouldn't get killed with crazy labor costs... What a bummer :-/...

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I'd still say take it to a chroming shop and see what they say. They will be able to tell if they can repair it or not.

·
Registered
614 Posts
From another perspective, would it be possible to "dechrome" all the wheels and have the normal wheel finish? Just musing. I wonder about the long term durability of the plastic chrome finish.

·
Registered
143 Posts
coming from an automotive painter here.. if it really is just a chrome plating over regular steel/aluminum you have no choice but to pony up for a new rim or a complete stripping/replating of the rim. The cost of having the rim stripped and retouched will likely be more than buying a new rim to begin with, so like others have said.. take it to a reputable plating service and see what they quote you.. and if it is 60% or more of the cost of a new rim, just bite the bullet and order a brand new rim, and keep the other as a spare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts