Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been debating to do as George - Greece did and install a "Car-PC", although Im going with a mac mini anyways, here is my question.

I was informed by some of the sales people at circuit city that any DVD Player or GPS system could be hooked up to a computer just as an aux unit. How true is that comment?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
GPS is merely a modem that the GPS software on the computer would acess. DVD player is a standard storage device the mac mini woudl have anyway. You could always go firewire and have a remote installed DVD player as well. IMO a mac isnt a great choice due to high dollar periferals and lack of 3rd party software while running macOSX. For the same $$ you can build a smaller and more flexable PC in a custom enclosure better suited for your needs. Most of difference between mac and PC is the OS and the pretty packaging. It would be interesting to see macOSX running in a car, but it would be a better bet to go with an open source nix distro or a minimalistic recompiled NT/2k windows install for ease of use.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The PC I am running in the Caliber at this time is a DELL Axim51v with
bluetooth linked Navteq gps,small system is easy to hide, has 5 GB
memory,voice guidance and runs Windows Mobile 5.
Sometime the only problem is that the screen is hard to read
with regards to bright sunlight.
Yes running Skype mobile phone also full blown PDA/mp3 player.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Could you take pictures and post them of your setup please.;)

Also, the Mac Mini can run windows if it has too, so the availability of softwear really is not that big of a problem Fingernipp.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
yes the mac mini can run windows... but why spend the extra money on a mac only to run windows?

·
Registered
689 Posts
So you don't see the Blue Screen of death all the time. LOL

A Mac Mini isn't all that much more, its all a compact unit, perfect for installations, plus there are enough programs out there for Mac, for most car uses, windows ability would just be something for desparation. :D

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Right no blue screen of death... instead rotating beach ball of death and random reboots. Sure you have a selection with mac software... but all 4 programs that you can use pale in comparison to the hundreds of both windows and nix applications. A mac is great for the less than computer literate that want a pretty simple to use box and those who like the look of OSX. Macs are very nice and all but since the drop of IBM they are nothing more than more expensive OEM pcs with an interesting unix distro with nearly 0 3rd party.

·
Registered
689 Posts
And what exactly would you want a PC to do in a car? CAD work, maybe some photoshop work, games, how about email chating? Car PC would just be basic stuff for the most part, music, DVD, navigation, still cheaper than the REC. You can't do much while driving, the passengers would be doing most, if not all, of anything more than those things, and to hell with them. LOL :D Mac Mini is still a good option for a car computer.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
lol YES boring PC stuff! The mac vs PC debate can go on forever. Yeah i almost kick myself for getting teh REC nav but at the same time i have the option of keeping the car stock and keep full integration of the REC with the can bus system. Alot can be done still. Thats why i chose to go with a touschreen overlay as input and the TV2go VGA input for the display on the REC unit. I may save the car PC idea for my lincoln anyway since the caliber really does everything i need it to already. My lincoln has a 20 year old trip computer that isnt properly tuned for the new engine plus a climate control system that seems to want to roast me alive despite the temp selected.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thats why i chose to go with a touschreen overlay as input and the TV2go VGA input for the display on the REC unit.
Did you get the touchscreen overlay to work? It seems to me that the LCD screen on the REC display wouldn't put up with much more than a *very* light touch with the stylus... also, what does a "TV2go" look like? :confused:

Do you have any pictures or details of your install?

- Gus

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I have yet to do anything so i cant give you much for details. I have thought about the rather soft LCD panel used in teh REC unit and if i find it to be too soft even with the overlay ill look into solutions. Its prolly not called TV2go but i have the link at home and got irritated too fast trying to google the company. Its just a VGA in that is added to the REC Nav unit. It hangs out the back.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I started a monster, PC vs. MAC still the fight will never end. Anyways

Reason for using MAC is I am a mac fan, I have always been a die hard Microsoft fan, but just realize the potential for MAC with someone who really knows what they are doing.

Anyways back to the original question, could I just install a DVD player (ALOT CHEAPER) then hook up mac later? This would save me time and money as I am taking a BIG trip beginning of April. If in the end I would just have to go back and switch out screens then I dont want to do it, but trying to decide what is best for right now.

;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well... the unit that Fingernip mentions above is $450 :eek: to make the REC unit display 'video', but not VGA... from what I can see. (There are two video inputs, and a RBG 'out' on the box, but that's all) And, you would still need to integrate the audio as well, via another adapter. (More $$$) :rolleyes:

Maybe the type of install that the guy in Greece did is about the best way to get a PC (or Mac) w/ touchscreen to go into a Cali. I would most likely choose the 'Chill Zone' area for the system though... Under the seat seems a bit awkward. (The cold air would keep the system nice and cool too!) :D

- Gus

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
On that site they used to offer the kit without installation and it was actually pretty cheap. I have no clue whats up with the price hike on the installed job though. Also remember than any ole touchscreen display wont be great in a car. A decent display with a tough panel and backlighting good enough for viewing in direct sunlight is not cheap. For audio through the rec nav its actually really not that big of a deal to make your own harness.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
bigtsr said:
The PC I am running in the Caliber at this time is a DELL Axim51v with
bluetooth linked Navteq gps,small system is easy to hide, has 5 GB
memory,voice guidance and runs Windows Mobile 5.
Sometime the only problem is that the screen is hard to read
with regards to bright sunlight.
Yes running Skype mobile phone also full blown PDA/mp3 player.
bump for pics!!:D

·
Registered
721 Posts
I am considering a mac Mini as well. although I'm thinking about getting it mounted under the floor in the back. I am also thinking of using a small fold out screen that will fit in the cubby under my radio up front.

·
Registered
976 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
bump for pics!!:D
Ok here is a quick shot of the DELL pda and bluetooth enabled
GPS receiver as I have them mounted on my Calibers dash.
I prefer this setup as it is portable,put the rcvr in your pocket
head off on the trails day or nite and know where you are.
Wireless internet built-in plu infra-red and internal(8 hours) or
external power.
The rcvr sits on dash to the right,is small and also self powered
abt 8 hours.
Works for me!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
bigtsr said:
Ok here is a quick shot of the DELL pda and bluetooth enabled
GPS receiver as I have them mounted on my Calibers dash.
I prefer this setup as it is portable,put the rcvr in your pocket
head off on the trails day or nite and know where you are.
Wireless internet built-in plu infra-red and internal(8 hours) or
external power.
The rcvr sits on dash to the right,is small and also self powered
abt 8 hours.
Works for me!
cool!

lol now i know why you asked if you should watch for me on the corner of rebecca and burloak lol

·
Registered
294 Posts
I could never understand hard wired computers in cars/trucks. That's just me and I'm rather old school.
My solution has aways been my laptop. I've had one in my truck since 2000, used it extensively for navigation, music and if the wife wants to watch the odd dvd. The install was between the front seats and setup/removal literally in seconds. No outward visibility to prying eyes.
I have since moved to a tablette and plan to make a simple bracket for the caliber as well as my truck (for now its still housed on top of my console in the truck)
At the end of the day, I bring it into the hotel, plan my next leg of the trip, surf the net and do all the rest of the stuff I won't do while driving.
first set-up

second set-up

1 - 20 of 24 Posts