Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there is anyone interested in finding out how to disable the seatbelt light after disabling the chime, post here and i can tell you how to do it safely.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
markshop said:
If there is anyone interested in finding out how to disable the seatbelt light after disabling the chime, post here and i can tell you how to do it safely.
Why would you want to do that may I ask??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
+2...I think it's cool, bugs people until they put the damn thing on...(seatbelt)

Our MegaCab has one and my dad gets about ready to kill the truck...(don't ask me how, I have no clue..)...Then he puts it on...:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
markshop said:
If there is anyone interested in finding out how to disable the seatbelt light after disabling the chime, post here and i can tell you how to do it safely.
I would be interested. I always wear my belt but hate the reminders.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
I must say the Caliber's seatbelt chime/light is pretty obnoxious; so obnoxious that I put my seatbelt on! I guess that's the point. My other cars were easier to ignore. Maybe I'm in the new vehicle "Yes master, I will obey" mode. Let's see how long that lasts before I beg markshop for instructions on disabling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Xtreme Thunder said:
Why would you want to do that may I ask??



Because some people just refuse to wear the belt. And do not like looking at a red light on their dash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
JoeDodge said:
I must say the Caliber's seatbelt chime/light is pretty obnoxious; so obnoxious that I put my seatbelt on! I guess that's the point. My other cars were easier to ignore. Maybe I'm in the new vehicle "Yes master, I will obey" mode. Let's see how long that lasts before I beg markshop for instructions on disabling.
It's pretty easy to disable the "chime", just read it in the user manual but I am not sure how to get rid of the seat belt light. I am very interested in know how to do it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
markshop said:
Because some people just refuse to wear the belt. And do not like looking at a red light on their dash.
OK:rolleyes:

Umm there may be a wire hooked to the bottom of the seat belt clip (female end), maybe under the seat area, you may be able to unplug it from there. There has to be some sort of sensor down there, or it may be placed somewhere else, but see if there is a wire down there, you may have to remove the seat to do it (if it exists). Could be somewhat tucked under the carpet too...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
Wouldn't the damn chime just stay on then because the wire is not contacting anything?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok for those of you who want to disable the light after disabling the chime per the manual.

On the pillar between the left side doors pull the lower plastic cover off. There is no screws just pull up and kinda peel away from pillar. Then remove the bolt that holds the seatbelt spool in place and on the bottom of the spool there is a black wire connector. Disconnect it and your done. Do not disconnect the top yellow one that is for the airbags. There is also a connector on the pillor do not disconnect that it is also for the airbags.

Do not touch anything under the seat. They are all for the air bags. If you have noticed the light is triggered by the spool not the catch. Pull some belt out and the light goes out. Any other ? just ask.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
markshop said:
Ok for those of you who want to disable the light after disabling the chime per the manual.

On the pillar between the left side doors pull the lower plastic cover off. There is no screws just pull up and kinda peel away from pillar. Then remove the bolt that holds the seatbelt spool in place and on the bottom of the spool there is a black wire connector. Disconnect it and your done. Do not disconnect the top yellow one that is for the airbags. There is also a connector on the pillor do not disconnect that it is also for the airbags.

Do not touch anything under the seat. They are all for the air bags. If you have noticed the light is triggered by the spool not the catch. Pull some belt out and the light goes out. Any other ? just ask.
Pretty cool, I had to do that to my 85 Chevy Caprice, even though the belt was on, the stupid light would work.

I forgot all about the spool side, that least I had the right idea!:cool:

Cool, for those that want to do it!!:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
746 Posts
katiescaliber said:
I do not know why you wouldn't wear your seatbelt...

Are you suicidal?
here here!

i was just talking about this at work with a friend and he said he thinks wearing the seat belt will hinder his safety in certain situations... i was trying to think of some happenstance where a seat belt could somehow hinder your safety... i was hardpressed to think of anything... he's thinking he can just bracehimself enough to avoid injury. i told him he was an idiot for thinking that. he's not spiderman. he doesn't have spidey sense and superhuman strength to brace himself and neither do we. unless of course someone has a radioactive spider in a bitey mood out there... and if so... please send it this way. ;)

always wear your seatbelts please... if not for yourself, than for those who love you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
superbang said:
here here!

i was just talking about this at work with a friend and he said he thinks wearing the seat belt will hinder his safety in certain situations... i was trying to think of some happenstance where a seat belt could somehow hinder your safety... i was hardpressed to think of anything... he's thinking he can just bracehimself enough to avoid injury. i told him he was an idiot for thinking that. he's not spiderman. he doesn't have spidey sense and superhuman strength to brace himself and neither do we. unless of course someone has a radioactive spider in a bitey mood out there... and if so... please send it this way. ;)

always wear your seatbelts please... if not for yourself, than for those who love you.
To me, it's to each his own.

I had an uncle (on my wife's side of the family) who's wife burned ALIVE in her car because she could not get the seat belt unbuckled. If she did not have it on, she would have escaped with some bruises. Is it the norm? Probably not but you never know. I believe if it is my time, it is my time. That doesn't mean I drive like an idiot or test fate but in the end, there have been many that have died BECAUSE of the seatbelt also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Death by incineration or drowning accounts for less than one-tenth of one percent of motor-vehicle-related traumas. Most passengers who are ejected from vehicles die, and the majority of them are thrown through the windshield. The chances of injury from hitting the pavement, a fixed object, or a moving vehicle (including your own) are also much greater if you are not wearing a seat belt. Being restrained actually increases the chances of escape from burning or submerged vehicles. Those not harnassed in get knocked around during the accident, often resulting in unconsciousness. And an unconscious accident victim has no chance of getting out of a burning or rapidly sinking car. Police officers rarely, if ever, have to unbuckle a dead man.

Seat belts are a clear and ever-present reminder that there is danger lurking on the roads ahead, and that any one of us could end up a traffic fatality. As muddle-headed as this must sound, by ignoring the seat belt, by assuring oneself one doesn't need it, one pretends death doesn't exist, or that at least it will never claim you.

Would your uncle's wife been saved if she wasn't wearing the belt? Consider the forces needed to start a fire inside the cabin of a vehicle. Consider that, had she not been wearing a seatbelt, she probably would have been killed in the collision or rendered incapible of doing anything at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,130 Posts
they have those seatbelt cutter things ya know.. cut ur way outa the thing.. cause ya know everything happens "in slow-mo" when you're brain is processing an accident you're currently being involved with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
i think there's a sensor in the front seats that senses when someone is in the seat by weight....disable that and it would take care of the chime...but then again it would also proabably disable the airbags too lol...so warning...don't mess with the seat weight sensors lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
Just wear your damn seatbelt and live to drive another day. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
superbang said:
here here!

he's thinking he can just bracehimself enough to avoid injury.
I was going back a few days on the forum and had to comment on this. I'm not sure of exact numbers, but i remember back in high school (~7 years ago) I had a physics teacher who was mad set on wearing his seat belt. On the board he kept an equation showing G forces associated with certain speed accidents. If I remember correctly a direct hit in the front of a car going only like 30 miles per hour subjects the driver and passengers to over 10 Gs. The average man weighs 170 lbs. Multiply that by 10 and that average man weighing 170 lbs now weighs at least 1700 lbs. I'm not sure, but I doubt many people can stop themselves flying toward the steering wheel if you weigh 1700 lbs.

Just food for thought...

Ron
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top