Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little bit of trivial information I discovered yesterday:

In most every car I've owned that had a seatbelt light, the switch that turns the light off is in the buckle. When the buckle is secured, the circuit is opened and the light on the dash goes out. The Caliber is not wired up this way.

I was doing some mild off roading yesterday (a tractor path through a field, nothing major and nothing that would hurt an average passenger car). I was driving about 15 MPH max (slower in the rough spots) without wearing my seatbelt. I was getting annoyed by the alarm dinging at me every few moments and decided to go ahead an buckle up. As I extended the belt, the light went off. I played with this a few times, pulling out, releasing, pulling out, etc. The switch for the light/alarm is in the "spool" mechanism that spools up the belt in the door pillar.

I even tried testing this one step further. I extended the belt long enough to latch it when I wasn't in the seat, then sat on the belt to drive. Simply latching the belt while not extended around a person is not enough to turn off the light/alarm. The light still stayes on and the alarm sounds with the belt buckled behind the driver.

I'm guessing this is a safety feature to discourage people from "fooling" the belt light/alarm, by buckling it and sitting on the belt as can be done in many cars. It also would make it harder to disable the light/alarm (not that I want to) because you have to get into the door pillar and spool assembly rather than looking for wires under the seat that run to the female end of the buckle.

Just thought I'd share that little bit of info.

·
Registered
29 Posts
it got om my nerves as well , so here is what i did i unscrewed the bolt closest to floor board, then i turned car on then i oulled seatbelt out just far enough for the light to go out, then tied i knot in seatbelt strap so the strap couldnt go back to where light came on then i bolted strap back on to seat, fixed problem and can still buckle my seat belt without ever having to worry about light again, then i got some leather shoulder straps to hide the knot:D

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
our 2004 dakota was like that, and i could never figure it out, but that makes sense. our old van had the buckle type system but i havent even driven the new one so i dont know about it. but i did notice that the caliber had this type of seatbelt system.

·
Registered
68 Posts
While I reccomend leaving it on and wearing your seatbelt to disable the alarm, if you are going to tinker with it, do it the proper way! :)

==========

Enhanced Seatbelt Reminder Programming

The seatbelt indicator also includes a programmable enhanced seatbelt reminder or “Belt Alert” feature that is enabled when the vehicle is shipped from the factory. This Belt Alert feature provides extended and modified visual seatbelt indicator and audible chime warning responses to an unbuckled driver side front seat belt. The beltminder
feature may be disabled or enabled by the customer using the programming sequence that follows, or by the dealer using a diagnostic scan tool. The following sequence of events must occur within sixty (60) seconds of the ignition switch being placed in the On position in order for the programming to be completed successfully.

DaimlerChrysler does not recommend deactivating the Enhanced Warning System (Belt Alert).

1. With the ignition switch in any position except On or Start, buckle the driver side front seat belt.

2. Turn the ignition switch to the On position and wait for the seatbelt indicator reminder function to conclude (about six seconds).

3. Unbuckle and buckle the driver side front seat belt three or more times, ending with the belt buckled.

4. Turn the ignition switch to any position except On or Start to toggle the Belt Alert feature from its current setting (from active to inactive, or from inactive to active). A single chime tone will provide an audible confirmation that the programming sequence has been successfully completed.

Note:
Although the Enhanced Warning System (Belt Alert) has been deactivated, the Seat Belt Warning Light will continue to illuminate while the driver's seat belt remains unbuckled. The Enhanced Warning System (Belt Alert) can be reactivated by repeating this procedure.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
NEED FOR SPEED said:
it got om my nerves as well , so here is what i did i unscrewed the bolt closest to floor board, then i turned car on then i oulled seatbelt out just far enough for the light to go out, then tied i knot in seatbelt strap so the strap couldnt go back to where light came on then i bolted strap back on to seat, fixed problem and can still buckle my seat belt without ever having to worry about light again, then i got some leather shoulder straps to hide the knot:D
Thats real safe. Hope you don't plan on it saving your life in an acident rigged like that.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
tkyoshi said:
While I reccomend leaving it on and wearing your seatbelt to disable the alarm, if you are going to tinker with it, do it the proper way! :)

==========

Enhanced Seatbelt Reminder Programming

The seatbelt indicator also includes a programmable enhanced seatbelt reminder or “Belt Alert” feature that is enabled when the vehicle is shipped from the factory. This Belt Alert feature provides extended and modified visual seatbelt indicator and audible chime warning responses to an unbuckled driver side front seat belt. The beltminder
feature may be disabled or enabled by the customer using the programming sequence that follows, or by the dealer using a diagnostic scan tool. The following sequence of events must occur within sixty (60) seconds of the ignition switch being placed in the On position in order for the programming to be completed successfully.

DaimlerChrysler does not recommend deactivating the Enhanced Warning System (Belt Alert).

1. With the ignition switch in any position except On or Start, buckle the driver side front seat belt.

2. Turn the ignition switch to the On position and wait for the seatbelt indicator reminder function to conclude (about six seconds).

3. Unbuckle and buckle the driver side front seat belt three or more times, ending with the belt buckled.

4. Turn the ignition switch to any position except On or Start to toggle the Belt Alert feature from its current setting (from active to inactive, or from inactive to active). A single chime tone will provide an audible confirmation that the programming sequence has been successfully completed.

Note:
Although the Enhanced Warning System (Belt Alert) has been deactivated, the Seat Belt Warning Light will continue to illuminate while the driver's seat belt remains unbuckled. The Enhanced Warning System (Belt Alert) can be reactivated by repeating this procedure.
Amazing what you can find when you read the owners manual.:rolleyes::eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
It does matter how defensive you drive.....what about all the other idiots out there who don't? You can't possibly think you see EVERYTHING when you drive so what about that idiot coming up behind you and slams into the back of you sending you off the side of the road and into a ditch where you hit a tree? You have no way of being "defensive" in that situation. But, hey to each his own! What does age have to do with it anyway?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
NEED FOR SPEED said:
because that guy seems to contradict everyone and thinks he knows it all, thats why i asked age
This coming from the guy who has thrown a temper tantrum in a couple different threads saying how everyone on this forum is inbred hillbilly's. Just how old are you???

·
Registered
29 Posts
well partner, im 41, and before i quoted you i did some research and alot of the people on here seem to be hotheads,yea and it sucks when you try to ask someone a question and they go way off the topic , like they didnt even understand the question, whats up with that ? talking about the murano had 200 plus hp, i never said the caliber could handle that, all i meant was that, dodge put a cvt in to only what the car could handle, and no matter how you look at it, the murano still has a cvt, so obviously the cvt on the caliber can handle what it was meant to, but i dont expect anyone to understand that, and for your information, my wife has a 2005 impala and up to point where she used 87 octane at 60,000 miles she had to have her injectors cleaned

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Uhhh, you should use injector cleaner in your car every now and then anyways. But it's not the octane that causes problem. And I'm 30 if that makes any difference. And been working on my own cars almost my whole life. Never had a problem with any of them running 87 octane. And that includes having 120K miles on my '99 Dakota, 75K miles on a '93 S-10, and who knows how many miles on an '87 S-10 between my older sister, my little brother, and myself driving to school while growing up. But I do use injector cleaner at least once a year. I'd unclude my current Dakota with 98K miles since the injectors are still stock, but that's about all that's stock under the hood and It's had premium fuel run through it most of the time since it's built with higher compression and a performance computer.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Well, for someone that doesn't need anyone elses advice what does it matter?? You obviously know all the answers. But anyone who thinks that running 87 octane will clog injectors, thinks it's a good idea to tie a knot in thier seatbelt just to keep an alarm from going off, and won't listen to reason deserves a rude reply. Asking for my age and calling me "partner" is kind of rude as well. I ain't your "partner" in any way shape or form, and age has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

·
Registered
29 Posts
why dont you go bark up somebody elses tree, and dont worry bout mine PaR t N Er:mad: as far as im concerned your an idiot, so now go ahead and make your last post concerning me, as you are nothing but dust in my tail pipe

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Well, if you have dust in your tailpipe maybe that would explain why your injectors are clogged. You need to drive it a little more often to blow that dust out. You just joined this site, and most of your 26 posts are inflamatory towards the members here. Maybe it is you who needs to find another tree, or forum for that matter, to bark up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts