Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got a new sebring brochure in the mail yesterday and i was looking through it and i saw that the sebring has optional automatic up AND down drivers AND passenger front windows. **PLUS** All the switches are lit- even the lock & mirror controls and the switches in the other doors.

My questions:

Can anybody confirm this in a sebring that is equipped with the auto up AND down windows that they ALL light up?

AND:

Would these be able to switch into our Calibers to give us those features?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yes mine light up whenever you turn the key on. All of them do, all four doors. Plus the front two are auto up/down and somehow my key fob will control the front windows and raise/lower them.

The first pic is easy to see the lights, the second pic shows my great pic taking ability, it is supposed to show the four switches lit up at night.

The assembly looks darn close to my wifes Cali. I will attempt to take the door apart and see. I can also check the part numbers at the dealer.

PS how does everybody else put big pics up?

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
You can host BIG pictures for FREE at one of many sites on the internet and link to them on the forum. I have a FREE account I use using www.photobucket.com

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OrangeRT said:
Yes mine light up whenever you turn the key on. All of them do, all four doors. Plus the front two are auto up/down and somehow my key fob will control the front windows and raise/lower them.

The first pic is easy to see the lights, the second pic shows my great pic taking ability, it is supposed to show the four switches lit up at night.

The assembly looks darn close to my wifes Cali. I will attempt to take the door apart and see. I can also check the part numbers at the dealer.

thats exactly what i was thinking! - i wonder if it would be possible to switch out the caliber one for the sebring ones and get ALL of the lights and the auto up and down front windows?

if you do decide to take the door apart...(IF) let me know how easy it is and if the plugs are the same aka-looks like it would be switchable

·
Registered
94 Posts
I tried a similar trick on my PT Cruiser. The early models 01,02 all the swiches lite,but not on the 03. I purchased the switches with leds and found that the wiring did not support it. Thanks to Chrysler tring to save money, like no more standard floor mats or body moldingon the Caliber.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
steveb said:
I tried a similar trick on my PT Cruiser. The early models 01,02 all the swiches lite,but not on the 03. I purchased the switches with leds and found that the wiring did not support it. Thanks to Chrysler tring to save money, like no more standard floor mats or body moldingon the Caliber.
Lets hope that the caliber will support the sebring parts! im going to try and go to a dealer tomorrow and see if i can find one that has the piece and ill try and take the door apart & see if it will work. heres hoping!!

i got floor mats and body moulding on mine - i do know that they dont have an engine cover anymore for some engines - i guess i got mine just in time!

·
Registered
413 Posts
OrangeRT said:
You can use something like photobucket to host your pics, but if you have a photo editing program, you can re-size the image to the max file size that the forum allows, which is 195kb (jpeg). Here is a sample pic that I did with Adobe photoshop elements ( a cheaper version of photoshop ) when you save the file there is a slider that allows you to adjust the quality of the picture, which in turn keeps the resolution the same, but decreases the file size. the pic I did was @ 1024x768 pixels, yours were 640x480. I could make them even bigger, but the detail gets lost. Also when you asked the question about the bigger pics, the first thing I thought was it all depends on how your desktop resolution is set, and how big your monitor is. I have a 20.1" monitor set at 1600x1200 pixels..........most all of the pics on this forum look like postage stamps to me....LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
Here's a screenshot of the program @ the point of saving the jpeg. Full resolution( 1600x1200) You can see that the clarity goes down a little in order to shrink the file size. hope this info helps you in any way. BTW photshop elements 5 is around $100. I have both version 1 & 4, but used 1 to do these pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
I like that idea I will order the prog. I checked with the dealer and of course they are different part numbers. I checked the wiring diagram with the Caliber and I can't access the wiring diagram for the Sebring, having trouble with the newer model.

I will check again tom. I was planning on taking apart the door Thursday, as Tuesday and Wednesday is "repair the front end damage" to the Caliber, pics I posted two weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OrangeRT said:
I like that idea I will order the prog. I checked with the dealer and of course they are different part numbers. I checked the wiring diagram with the Caliber and I can't access the wiring diagram for the Sebring, having trouble with the newer model.

I will check again tom. I was planning on taking apart the door Thursday, as Tuesday and Wednesday is "repair the front end damage" to the Caliber, pics I posted two weeks ago.
let us know what happens. I wish i had both cars available to me to try the swap!

Hope the repairs go well!

·
Registered
567 Posts
my grandpa has a sebring, and one day he went into the store, and came back out, and i believe all his windows were down..... i guess there has been some problems similar to this

·
Registered
311 Posts
BUMP

Did anything more ever come of swapping the window control switches?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I found the wiring was different according to the diagrams. I only had the Caliber door panel off and I never took the one off the Sebring because of this.

It showed more wires to the Sebring switch than the Caliber, I honestly did not follow the wires to the source. I will print them when I can and look at them when I can.

Sorry, the end of the day comes to quick and it's usually afte work when I think about it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
If someone really wanted auto up/down for all the windows, I guess you can try adding the window module from an alarm system, but I'm not sure if you "need" the alarm as well.
On my X with a viper alarm + window module, turned windows into auto up/down via switch or remote.
Caliber with compustar alarm + window module, turned windows into auto up via switch or remote.

·
Registered
340 Posts
From the factory the Sebring will roll down the windows with the factory key fob.

·
Registered
311 Posts
OrangeRT said:
I found the wiring was different according to the diagrams.
Thanks.

Tyke

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
OrangeRT said:
From the factory the Sebring will roll down the windows with the factory key fob.
Not my rental Sebring. I have doors locks and trunk release.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so today i had to do a little project to my arm rest piece to fix a previous mistake of mine lol. Basicially i thought that the flat piece of plastic that the pwr window/locks/miror switches are in comes off of the door. Well unfortunately for me it doesnt so i had the piece up by the mirrir switch pulled off before i realized "this cant be right" lol if it was meant to be off it would be off by now. So I took the dark grey piece, the piece that is meant to come off off and remelted the piece back on. But while I had the door apart, I thought that I would take some pics of the window switch unit and the wiring that goes into it. I still am determined to see if this will work. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
How does that grey piece come off. I can see the clips surround but are there any screws, plugs, etc. Always wondered how it looked, Thanks for the pics.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
HICal said:
How does that grey piece come off. I can see the clips surround but are there any screws, plugs, etc. Always wondered how it looked, Thanks for the pics.
You have to take out the screw in the grab handle by popping off that cover and then removing the screw. Next if you are looking at the inside of the door, the lower, left hand corner is the place to inseta thine flat object and jsut start popping the clips out first along the bottom, then the left side and then the top and then the right (angled) side. Thats for the drivers door, i have not done it to the other doors yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts