Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw a review printed in our local newspaper about the new 07 Endeavor based upon the Caliber/Compass platform. They give the Cali/Comp a bad review saying it is underpowered and has lots of cheap plastic in it. Ok, so it does but...... That's the way DCX made it and priced it.

They also claimed that the overall "look" was boxy and unclean. Dodge wants the boxy look, as far as I can tell. I bought it!

The Endeavor was favored over the Cali in the article because it had "wood grain" appliques in the interior. Whooo Hooo!! Buy the kit from Ebay. It also had a V6 engine. Cali was NOT designed for the V6 if I am correct, only the 1.8,2.0,2.4 family!!!! It also stated the CVT was dismal and that a real six speed auto was included that you could feel the shifts.

The price range was from 20,500 to 26,500. Well gee..... That puts us at the top end of the Cali R/T not the BASE model!

Rate the Endeavor and leave the bashing of the Cali out of it. State the facts that are based upon the platform and move on!!!!

FACT ==> Mitsu is divorced from DCX as of about 18 months or so ago. I am NOT bashing the Endeavor, just pointing out differences. They both still share technology and platform engineering(to some extent), just like the other MFG's to save money.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think we've made a strong case over the past few months showing that automobile journalists are WAY out of touch with the consumer, and consumers frankly don't give a crap about what the reviewers write about cars. That is why Dodge can't build these Caliber's fast enough.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, just wanting to see what the opinions of the forums are.

I plan on taking a visit the local Mitsu dealership to check out the Endeavor. Always like to check out new cars anyway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Endeavor isn't quite based on the same platform as the Caliber (like you said, the Endeavor platform is built to support a V6 and is bigger). I think Endeavor is based on the Eclipse/Galant platform, which should underpin the next stratus/sebring as well.

Caliber DOES share a platform with the next-gen Mitsu Lancer and Outlander (as well as Jeep Compass/Patriot). Still, the new Outlander has a V6 in the US (and a 2.4L "world engine" with CVT in europe/Japan). Not sure how they stuffed the V6 in that....

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just stating the article. I thought it was the Lancer platform too. The article may have been talking about the Outlander and stated Endeavor instead. They made several refences about the Cali though!

·
Registered
901 Posts
I happened to park next to a new Endeavor just this weekend. It's beautiful!!! And also a LOT bigger than the Caliber, like the next model size up. Almost comparable to the difference in size between a Ford Escape and Explorer.

·
Registered
728 Posts
OrangeRT said:
Just saw a review printed in our local newspaper about the new 07 Endeavor based upon the Caliber/Compass platform. They give the Cali/Comp a bad review saying it is underpowered and has lots of cheap plastic in it. Ok, so it does but...... That's the way DCX made it and priced it.

They also claimed that the overall "look" was boxy and unclean. Dodge wants the boxy look, as far as I can tell. I bought it!

The Endeavor was favored over the Cali in the article because it had "wood grain" appliques in the interior. Whooo Hooo!! Buy the kit from Ebay. It also had a V6 engine. Cali was NOT designed for the V6 if I am correct, only the 1.8,2.0,2.4 family!!!! It also stated the CVT was dismal and that a real six speed auto was included that you could feel the shifts.

The price range was from 20,500 to 26,500. Well gee..... That puts us at the top end of the Cali R/T not the BASE model!

Rate the Endeavor and leave the bashing of the Cali out of it. State the facts that are based upon the platform and move on!!!!

FACT ==> Mitsu is divorced from DCX as of about 18 months or so ago. I am NOT bashing the Endeavor, just pointing out differences. They both still share technology and platform engineering(to some extent), just like the other MFG's to save money.
Dont mean to offend but, they are only stating facts about the car that they did not care for. The Caliber IS underpowered, SEVERELY, but people dont buy them for racing, they are A to B transportation.

Cheap plastic? Yup.. lots of it, but like you said... it's to be expected with an entry level vehicle.

Boxy and unclean? When I FIRST saw the Caliber I thought it was one of the ugliest P.O.S's i've ever seen, however, given a second chance it grows on you; more and more as time goes on.

Let's face it, for a LOT of people the Caliber is NOT the kind of car that you think is great the first time you lay eyes on it. Almost everyone I know who now loves them, had to adjust to the new styling at first.

All of these facts do not make for good reviews. The important thing is whether or not YOU like it, and if you do, why care what some article says?

To hell with them... i'll still be buyin a Caliber when the right flavour comes out. :cool:

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have no idea how you could compare the Caliber to the Eneavor! Sure the Endeavor looks great, but it's one of those SUV's that kinda gets lost in the crowd, IMO. The Caliber, on the other hand is one of those cars where people look at it and go "WTF is that!?" It's bold and it's brash! As far as being severely underpowered, I don't think so- at least not mine! I know how to drive it, and I know how to use the CVT.

I also care about what reviewers say about the Caliber! You get enough people reviewing it that don't know how to drive it, and don't like it, and say bad things about it, well pretty soon it becomes a joke to the world. People quit buying it, and within a year, it dies out. Then we are left with a car we all love, but has become the Edsel of 2007. Sorry to be so defensive, but I really do love this car, as you can tell, and that's just my opinion.
Fitz

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was the OUTLANDER, sorry for the mistake. Remedial Reading 101 time.....

If a Mod. reads this can you please change the thread name to OUTLANDER instead of ENDEAVOR!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts