Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the chrome shiftter cap breaking off. I have 17,000 KM on my CSRT4 and it seems every 6000 KM it staps off and then I need a whole new shifter/boot replacement. Right now Dodge is replacing this for free but now that I have started modding I dont want to bring the car in for service at a dealer unless the whole car funks out and at that point I will return it to stock and have them work on it.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
That sucks. Hope I don't have that problem. How is it attached?

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are 4 small clips that hold it in place. Once you break 2 of the clips it feels like you can lift it right off and then if a 3rd one breaks it slips off and thats when bad things can happen. I think I am going to get some really strong glue and glue it on so it wont ever come off. Im just wondering if I will ever need to get under the cap for anything in the future.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
There has got to be a way to cut the knob off this shifter and attach a solid shifter knob on there while retaining the lock ring.

I am going to have to take this thing apart when I get some time and check it out.
I know it's doable.

I want a solid shifter with some weight to it.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
There has got to be a way to cut the knob off this shifter and attach a solid shifter knob on there while retaining the lock ring.

I am going to have to take this thing apart when I get some time and check it out.
I know it's doable.

I want a solid shifter with some weight to it.
Okay, you probably knew this was coming.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the chrome shiftter cap breaking off. I have 17,000 KM on my CSRT4 and it seems every 6000 KM it staps off and then I need a whole new shifter/boot replacement. Right now Dodge is replacing this for free but now that I have started modding I dont want to bring the car in for service at a dealer unless the whole car funks out and at that point I will return it to stock and have them work on it.
Ive busted my off twice....the first time I used Gorilla Glue and it worked for 2000 miles until I went racing and busted it off again, I almost went to the dealer but bought some Super Super Glue from Lowes and it hasn't budged....I will, however, take it to the dealer next time.......when I glued it on I used some good metal duct tape to hold it on for 2 days to let it dry and cure.........then took it off, can't tell at all......

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
You think that's bad? I lost a rubber cap on my clutch peddle 2 weeks after i bought the damn thing.
damn how do you guys shift?

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It hurts if you are shifting really quick and it can cut you. For normal driving you just find ways to shift without having to touch the top of ths shifter.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Why does it feel like in three years I am going to have this typical turbododge broke ass POS parked on the side of my garage just like before.

This is what turbododges do. They break, you get fed up with them and then park them.
But it's all about how it ran before it broke!

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
every time i shifted hard in the nsrt my metal shifter ball would pop off. I used to hate that ****!!! apparently i wasnt the only one who had that problem.

hasnt happened yet in the csrt.....

lets hope...

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why does it feel like in three years I am going to have this typical turbododge broke ass POS parked on the side of my garage just like before.

This is what turbododges do. They break, you get fed up with them and then park them.
But it's all about how it ran before it broke!

You get what you pay for. This is why I am having RealTune do all the work on my car. I do not and will not trust anyone else to do it. Having said that modding can cause problems even if its done right and we all know the risks before we do it.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Have a bunch of gorilla shifters out there busting out them low 14s ALL DAY!!!

lol, I have drag raced my car a lot at the strip and had my occasional runs on the street and never has the csrt4 shifter broke or anything of the sort. You folks need to learn to grip it properly and vary your force.

I can shift fast and safely with little to, no effort at all.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have a bunch of gorilla shifters out there busting out them low 14s ALL DAY!!!

lol, I have drag raced my car a lot at the strip and had my occasional runs on the street and never has the csrt4 shifter broke or anything of the sort. You folks need to learn to grip it properly and vary your force.

I can shift fast and safely with little to, no effort at all.
Well the first time this happened was in Apr and it was snowing out still so I dont think the force factor was there then... If I am pounding though the gears it needs to be dry out and even shifting fast it does not take much force to shift to the next gear. Bottom line is the shifter is a POS if it breaks after 6000 KM. New shifter with every oil change for the most part.

The problem is I drive a lot in the city and its stop and go traffic all the time. My shifter is being used like crazy and its not hard shifts thats causing this its just ware on the clips that hold it in place... the thing is made cheap what can I say.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
When the Neon SRT4 shift knobs broke off during shifting, we made a CNC billet aluminum shift knob with locking screws that once installed NEVER came off again.

Now that Ive got 15,000 miles of driving in my Caliber SRT4 and it has never come loose, I figured that there was no problems with the Caliber shifter.

How many of you have had your Caliber SRT4 shift knob break, or come loose?

If theres enough interest, we could make a CNC billet designed aluminum shift knob with reverse lockout that would secure, and never come loose or break like the factory one..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts