Dodge Caliber Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,903 Posts
When the Neon SRT4 shift knobs broke off during shifting, we made a CNC billet aluminum shift knob with locking screws that once installed NEVER came off again.

Now that Ive got 15,000 miles of driving in my Caliber SRT4 and it has never come loose, I figured that there was no problems with the Caliber shifter.

How many of you have had your Caliber SRT4 shift knob break, or come loose?

If theres enough interest, we could make a CNC billet designed aluminum shift knob with reverse lockout that would secure, and never come loose or break like the factory one..

do IT!!!!

:banger:

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
16500 KM its broken twice at about 6000 KM mostly city driving. I have been waiting for a better shifter to come out since the last time this had happened. Come out with something better and I will prob buy one.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
When the Neon SRT4 shift knobs broke off during shifting, we made a CNC billet aluminum shift knob with locking screws that once installed NEVER came off again.

Now that Ive got 15,000 miles of driving in my Caliber SRT4 and it has never come loose, I figured that there was no problems with the Caliber shifter.

If theres enough interest, we could make a CNC billet designed aluminum shift knob with reverse lockout that would secure, and never come loose or break like the factory one..
You do it, I'll buy it.
But do you have any idea how to take this thing off we have now?
I havent tried, but from what i hear it's not easy.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts

Heck, there may be interest even if it hasn't broken yet.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Maybe pics of the broken knob and how it attaches might inspire
someone to come up with a mod or different style without pre-
disassembly of their own unit.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yea and with any luck your hand would be permanently attached.
I don't think too many owners would be happy with a glued up
shifter especially the more serious powershifters.

·
Registered
597 Posts

I would buy it in a heart beat!!!! Let us know when you guys get them in!

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well its good to know Im not the only one with this problem. If the shifter looks like the one for the NSRT4 I will buy one in a heart beat!

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
No matter how we are shifting it should not break! I do city driving, a lot more then the avg person so the shifter is used all time time. it doesnt break slowly it will only take an afternoon after I start to feel it breaking for it to totaly come off.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Im telling you, you either dont know how to shift correctly or are doing something completely wrong, like using your big toe to shift.

16,000 miles and no problems with my shifter, with over 50 drag strip runs and about 25 runs on the street, and mine still feels brand new.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Not everyones shifter is going to break but its not just me this is happening to. Had an RX8 I used to beat the hell out of and it has the same sort of shifter with no problems.

The problem is the clips holding the cap on are weak and they can break. I dont care if I am shifting hard or being really easy on it. I dont care if you have raced a 1000 times it does not matter. I am in stop and go traffic all day long for 10 hours a day doing nothing but shifting up and down. 17000 KM on my car and 90% of it is city driving between 1/8 mile traffic lights in traffic.

I also hold my shifter all the time because I am shifting gears so much so that does not help things. Bottom line is this should not be happening and if Dodge saw this as abuse they would not replace it for free each time it has happened. Knowing this is a problem I am going to glue it back on and hope for the best.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
Im telling you, you either dont know how to shift correctly or are doing something completely wrong, like using your big toe to shift.

16,000 miles and no problems with my shifter, with over 50 drag strip runs and about 25 runs on the street, and mine still feels brand new.
:jester: :jester:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mines broke too

and three weeks later i cant shift my car from first gear into second or second to third and so on. unless almost no rpm. Are my syncros shot or having tranny trouble at 23k miles? Or you think my pressure plate or clutch disk is warped like the dealer is saying? I think they just want me to pay 1100$ then tell me my syncros are messed up once it doesnt work. Any advise on how to fix my problem i bought the car 5k miles ago at 19k miles. PLease help

·
Registered
43 Posts
This happened to me At the 44k mark... I just pulled the needle nose pliers out, removed the broken plastic and have been driving without it ever since. If someone makes a new one... I'd totally buy it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When the Neon SRT4 shift knobs broke off during shifting, we made a CNC billet aluminum shift knob with locking screws

that once installed NEVER came off again.

Did you ever end up building one for retail sale ? I'm in British Columbia Canada and the reverse lockout cable snapped so I thought I'd look into replacing the knob as well at the same time since it seems I'll be having to break the stock one.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts