Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my shifter off today and was looking at it, and it looks like you cant just put any shifter on there. Is this true, do you have to buy a mopar aftermarket shifter or will any shifter work.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
If you have a Manual Xmsn... insert a small flat screwdriver into the grooves in the plastic collar under the shifter and give a gentle twist (there are two slots 180 from each other on that collar) to release the collar from the bottom of the knob. That will allow the shifter knob to be pulled off of the shaft (there is a "collet" type lock that engages a groove in the shaft and the collar holds the collet ribs against the shaft).

I don't know on the CVT/Auto... I have read here that the Auto is just a PULL UP to remove, but it seems unlikely to me...

·
Registered
976 Posts
My CVT has the locking ring at the bottom of the shift knob as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i've pulled mine off quite a few times(manual tranny), didnt realize that plastic thing opened. i've put a couple different shifters on and they usually come with blunt screws that just snug against the shifter itself.i've had to re-bore one of the shifters to make it fit (1/2") but other then that its no problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts